• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MMO terms and tabletop, anyone completely ANNOYED by this?

Janx

Hero
whatever happened to peer pressure and group disapproval to bring people back in line?

Now this is terrible advice, but making fun of people who do and say stupid things has worked in Minnesota for centuries (we harden our youth with cruelty, to survive, because, as you know Winter is coming).

Player 1: I need to roll a new 'toon.
GM: What are you five? We don't call Full Metal Alchemist a cartoon, we call it Anime. Just as we don't play 'toons, we play characters.
Player 1: no, but it's from online gaming, they call them 'toons.
Player 2: maybe on the Disney.com site, but adults play avatars or characters.
Player 1: well I still need to roll up a new 'toon.
Player 3: if you're going to make a baby character, maybe you should use these oversized foam dice. They have rounded corners so you can't hurt yourself.
Player 4: or swallow them
Player 1: .....fine, I'll make a new CHARACTER.

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
Hazing is certainly one way to handle stuff I suppose. Most of the gamer geeks I know probably wouldn't respond that well to it. But if it's part of the relative gamer culture you're working in, then sure why not.

It is interesting to me that MMO terms have somehow become the new Prequel Trilogy in terms of broadbase scorn with simultaneous appeal and mass acceptance.

How do people handle other "annoying" intrusions of pop culture and/or scifi fantasy vibes? Stuff like Harry Potter, Twilight, Wizards of Waverly Place and even Flight of the Navigator?

I've always managed to deal with it by chewing the erasers off pencils, screaming into a pillow afterwards or punching a protected species (take THAT spotted owl). I still think my limit is text-speech though. I'll move to Mars and live with the Curiosity rover at that point :)

Cor Azer

First Post
How do people handle other "annoying" intrusions of pop culture and/or scifi fantasy vibes? Stuff like Harry Potter, Twilight, Wizards of Waverly Place and even Flight of the Navigator?

Compliance! :)

Actually, most of our games pop culture references come from me, and few of the other players get them.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Hahahaha, about the party wipe thing, I guess I could have said TPK... that seems to be the jargon. Giving this time to stew a couple of days , there are a couple of things that come to mind. First.

Toon. I hate that word with all my passion. I hate it in MMO's, and it's a cardinal sin in my book to call the that in tabletop games.

Second, it comes to mind that I may not hate the vernacular of MMOs as much as the mentality of approaching encounters.

I recently ran an entire dungeon with different ways of completing the encounter making them extremely easy. For instance I had a huge river magically flowing through this dungeon like a wire in mid air. This river had fish and all kinds of things in it. Well the party reached this machine which was generating this magical river and shut it down. In the very next room there were many small wrymlings in a nest crying out , their mother dragon was gone and they were hungry (we had a druid who discerned this). In this room, there were rotting fish on the ground. So when the party approached the dragonling nest they started screeching at the party. So the party starts completely destroying them.

Instead of giving them fish to eat. Which I THOUGHT was very blatant when the druid figured this out, but they decided against it. Now you might say, well maybe the party wanted to kill these wyrmlings. (In my world there are no good or evil dragons necessarily... and the party knows this and doesnt care it seems). The thing is I had a dungeon of at least 10 encounters similar to this (infact most every encounter I run has some special element to it) . I like to heavily involve personal stories and characters when planning encounters. There are usually several ways of getting around these things, but it's like the party doesn't even care, they just want to attack everything.

And the thing that completely baffles me is that after the session we usually talk about it, and I tell them (or they ask me) stuff like could we have done -specified thing- and made an ally, or gotten around this? I tell them yeah, that's why -specified thing- was there, to provide roleplaying purposes and develop the story in a deeper way. Then they say things like "damnit" and "I should have realized that" , and every week I say the exact same thing " I always put in special elements to the encounter, always". So then they usually leave and the next week rolls around and the exact same thing repeats. Exact. Same. Thing.

I know exactly why too, they go home and play diablo and wow, and get in their heads the only way around something is to smash through it. Well, after around 9 or 10 sessions the group fell apart and now im thinking about gearing up for another run at it using either Rise of the Runelords or Dragonlance. It would be a different group , several people have come back to college (where I currently reside, teaching astronomy).

So yeah... that post turned out way long than intended. Hopefully this new group will be a bit better, about half the same people will be playing so I'm not expecting much of a difference... we will see.

MarkB

Legend
Aside from the one TPK you mentioned, does pushing through with combat ever cause them any serious consequences?

If not, they may simply not be motivated to look for alternatives. If they enjoy the combat element of the game, why would they look for creative ways to avoid combat?

underfoot007ct

First Post
whatever happened to peer pressure and group disapproval to bring people back in line?

Now this is terrible advice, but making fun of people who do and say stupid things has worked in Minnesota for centuries (we harden our youth with cruelty, to survive, because, as you know Winter is coming).

Player 1: I need to roll a new 'toon.
GM: What are you five? We don't call Full Metal Alchemist a cartoon, we call it Anime. Just as we don't play 'toons, we play characters.
Player 1: no, but it's from online gaming, they call them 'toons.
Player 2: maybe on the Disney.com site, but adults play avatars or characters.
Player 1: well I still need to roll up a new 'toon.
Player 3: if you're going to make a baby character, maybe you should use these oversized foam dice. They have rounded corners so you can't hurt yourself.
Player 4: or swallow them
Player 1: .....fine, I'll make a new CHARACTER.

Be careful they may start commenting about the clothes you wear being old fashioned & outdated, or that your taste in cars is still popular, at your local senior citizen center. They may ask if you ever met Henry ford himself.

Calling someone gamers stupid might not be the best way to get new younger players in to our hobby, or even play a second time at your table.

hamstertamer

First Post
Video Game terminology is banned at my table. I find that people that use those terms tend to be contrary to my playstyle and will ruin the gaming experience.

If you are having trouble finding people to play try getting people who aren't gamers to play with you. I DM'ed some non-gamers before and found it to be a pretty good experience over all, and best of all they will learn about rpgs from your example.

So when introducing new players into a tabletop game (usually D&D, sometimes savage worlds, or L5R) they insist using the words "pull, tank, aggro, dps" . I understand the easiest way is to relate to a game you have played "in this case WOW/ guildwars".

I, as GM, would BAN ALL SUCH TERMS AND THINKING.

My games are for ROLEPLAYING, not replicating MMO's. If they wan to "tank" or "aggro", let them go play Warcraft.

Of course, for me, it bothered me that MMO concepts were in the game to begin with as much as the terminology.

Video Game terminology is banned at my table. I find that people that use those terms tend to be contrary to my playstyle and will ruin the gaming experience.

Honestly, this sort of thinking bothers me far far more than even the people who talk about 'rolling toons'. And I really dislike calling characters toons - makes me want to declare duck season. (I dislike calling them toons in MMOs as well).

It bothers me for two reasons; firstly a lack of desire to expand the hobby and secondly rejecting MMOs indicates to me a complete lack of respect of D&D and its influence.

The desire to expand the hobby is simple. There are what? A few hundred thousand D&D players. World of Warcraft has literally millions of subscribers, all taking part in what is in some ways a third rate knock-off experience when compared to the one you get round the table. (In other ways it's better, but I digress). Probably half those players don't even know that D&D is even in print - and 90% couldn't give a damn about D&D terminology. But if we can even pick up one tenth of them we've vastly expanded the hobby and that will be good for it (especially as we'll have expanded it by the people who care about roleplaying and tabletop interaction).

The second is the fundamental lack of respect for D&D that rejecting MMOs shows.

D&D terminology is based on tactical wargames. Why is it based on tactical wargames? Because that's what smart nerds were playing when Gygax and Arneson came out with D&D. It's now an extremely niche hoby as computers have eaten it alive. A cry to reject the language of MMOs is a cry to reject the players of MMOs and to keep D&D in an inward looking niche.

MMOs on the other hand owe their roots to D&D. And a lot of the MMOisms that people are decrying are traceable directly back to D&D. Tanks? Dragon in the 80s was using Tanks to illustrate negative AC. Tank/DPS/Healer trinity? Straight out of the brown box. With fighters tanking, wizards being mobile artillery, and clerics healing. (The thief showed up later). Tanking was the job of the fighter - keeping the bad guys off ths squishies. 2e of course had its families of classes. Fighters didn't need an aggro mechanic because they had a battle line and some nice solid stone walls in the dungeon. DPS? D&D came out of tabletop wargaming. Weapon types did different damage to prevent people carrying iron spikes as those were the cheapest weapon.

Almost all the objections to MMOs are traceable directly to things at the very core and origin of D&D - and normally it's because the MMOs have stolen from D&D. Anyone who wants to keep D&D pure IMO needs to read Appendix N.

Second, it comes to mind that I may not hate the vernacular of MMOs as much as the mentality of approaching encounters.

I recently ran an entire dungeon with different ways of completing the encounter making them extremely easy. For instance I had a huge river magically flowing through this dungeon like a wire in mid air. This river had fish and all kinds of things in it. Well the party reached this machine which was generating this magical river and shut it down. In the very next room there were many small wrymlings in a nest crying out , their mother dragon was gone and they were hungry (we had a druid who discerned this). In this room, there were rotting fish on the ground. So when the party approached the dragonling nest they started screeching at the party. So the party starts completely destroying them.

Instead of giving them fish to eat. Which I THOUGHT was very blatant when the druid figured this out, but they decided against it. Now you might say, well maybe the party wanted to kill these wyrmlings. (In my world there are no good or evil dragons necessarily... and the party knows this and doesnt care it seems). The thing is I had a dungeon of at least 10 encounters similar to this (infact most every encounter I run has some special element to it) . I like to heavily involve personal stories and characters when planning encounters. There are usually several ways of getting around these things, but it's like the party doesn't even care, they just want to attack everything.

And the thing that completely baffles me is that after the session we usually talk about it, and I tell them (or they ask me) stuff like could we have done -specified thing- and made an ally, or gotten around this? I tell them yeah, that's why -specified thing- was there, to provide roleplaying purposes and develop the story in a deeper way. Then they say things like "damnit" and "I should have realized that" , and every week I say the exact same thing " I always put in special elements to the encounter, always". So then they usually leave and the next week rolls around and the exact same thing repeats. Exact. Same. Thing.

Honestly the game sounds like a computer game to me - and not on the players' side. The part you've described is an arbitrary puzzle with an oh-so-convenient solution located in the next room. And you're putting special elements into the encounter quite intentionally - it's all sounding extremely artificial to me. And as if you are setting it up to be approached as a game. All the PCs are doing is approaching it as a slightly different one to the one you want. Combat is more interesting than a fetch quest or a "click the random object" quest. And the party doesn't even get the mental reward of having been creative, merely having solved the arbitrary puzzle you set them. A creative group given license to be creative will come up with solutions and ideas you never expected - and you don't get that from a series of well defined Sierra-style quests.

filthgrinder

First Post
Do people really ban words from their tables?

That is a serious question. When you run a game do you really insist on some sort of master/slave relationship? I always treat all my games as... games. I have friends come over and we talk and chat, and play and have a fun enjoyable time.

When we start policing language... eck.

Secondly, if someone calls it a mob, or whatever, its all the same thing. It's out of character meta-gaming. If you want to play a game where everyone talks in character... shouldn't people already know that? If they know it, but don't do it, then obviously you should switch to playing a game everyone enjoys.

If someone calls their character a toon, it's obvious what they are referring to and are using the word toon because that is what they are familiar with using. You can just forget about policing language, and call it a character and move on. You don't need to correct or anything. Have a good, fun time, and you know what, they'll start referring to it with your terms after awhile.

People who use MMO terms are using them because they don't have the language of the tabletop game. They have the language of MMOs to refer to the samethings. If you provide a fun and compelling experience, and expose them to tabletop terms through actual usage, they'll pick up on them.

If you are really stressing out over terms that people are using, maybe you need to step back and re-evaluate what you want out of your gaming group. Maybe you don't want a gaming group, maybe you want an improve theater group.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Do people really ban words from their tables?

That is a serious question. When you run a game do you really insist on some sort of master/slave relationship? I always treat all my games as... games. I have friends come over and we talk and chat, and play and have a fun enjoyable time.

When we start policing language... eck.
(snip)

Not just words, but THINKING. IN BOLD LETTERS TOO so we know how serious he is.

I totally agree with the rest of your post: it's a game played with friends - old friends, new friends or a combination of both - and friends communicate. That's what we do which is probably why we're friends.

The only words I have ever banned at a table are the same ones you can't use on ENWorld. Yes, we have banned bad language... but only when we've had the kids playing or sitting nearby. That's it and that's just simply good parenting.

Remove ads