• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mobile Spellcaster

The_Universe

First Post
MOBILE SPELLCASTER [GENERAL]
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Combat Casting, Dodge, Mobility.

Benefit: When casting a spell with a casting time of one standard action (or less), you may move both before and after casting the spell, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.

Normal: A spellcaster may cast and then move, or vice versa.

Please rate this feat!

Thanks!

IndyPendant

First Post
I think the move-action-move feats are just too weak, and hate the way they're all separated like that. And I think this is true of your feat as well, even though you've removed the BAB requirement--especially considering a) it has an additional prerequisite, and b) by moving-casting-moving, you would still provoke AoO's from anyone threatening you. No way as a caster would I ever take this.

Here is the feat I give my players:
Spring Into Action [Combat]
Source: This one’s entirely my own.
Prerequisites: Dex 13, Dodge, Mobility, base attack bonus +4.
Benefit: When taking a standard action, you can move both before and after the action, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender if you make a melee attack or cast a spell that requires a melee touch attack. (You still provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures if appropriate, and any spells must still be cast on the defensive or suffer the appropriate consequences.) You can’t use this feat if you are wearing heavy armor or heavily encumbered. You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you take your action in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Into Action.
Special: This feat is a more generalized version of the Spring Attack and Shot on the Run feats from the PHB, and replaces both. This feat also replaces Spring Attack and Shot on the Run as a prerequisite for other feats, such as Whirlwind Attack.
Edit: Hrm. You've shown me a flaw in my feat, though--the fact that arcane casters can't take it as written until at least 8th level. I think I'll remove the BAB req. The two feats and dex are bad enough, and I have no problem with, at the extreme, a human fighter starting out with this. (Oh noes! He can step forward, attack, and step back! The enemy might suffer 1 AoO! : )

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Is there a reason you revised this feat to be more powerful than the Complete Adventurer version? The Mobile Spellcasting feat in CV is nicely balanced by requiring a concentration check in order to benefit from the feat.

The_Universe

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
Is there a reason you revised this feat to be more powerful than the Complete Adventurer version? The Mobile Spellcasting feat in CV is nicely balanced by requiring a concentration check in order to benefit from the feat.
I was unaware that there was a similar version in complete adventurer. Knowing that, I will probably just use that.

ARandomGod

First Post
The_Universe said:
I was unaware that there was a similar version in complete adventurer. Knowing that, I will probably just use that.

Heck, I thought you were asking ABOUT the complete arcane feat, and just had failed to list all the particulars of the feat.

kyberus

First Post
I thought the main advantage of spring attack was that you didn't provoke attacks of opportunity while doing so... not to say moving and casting-moving isn't nice... though I really can't think of when I'd actually use it... (probably not imaginative enough)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads