• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moderator's Reminder: Keep things civil [EDIT: UPDATED BY MORRUS - FINAL WARNING]

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Kaodi said:
Yet, in making that point, they seem to forget that if WotC alienates the online community, they are alienating the most likely people to buy into an online delivery scheme.

Yes. But WotC hasn't alienated the online community. They have alienated a part of the online community. And we don't know how large that part is.

The level of noise is not easily translated into clear numbers as to how many will skip the service.

For example, the online petition has 290 signatures as of this post. 290 people feel strongly enough to sign the petition. The online community is significantly larger than that. Of course not everyone angered by the decision will sign the petition, but if 10% of those angered sign, it would mean that around 3000 people are really, really pissed about this.

On the other hand, most subscribers are probably angry, but I'd wager not all of them are. For them getting Dragon and Dungeon was a way to get new D&D content. Now they'll just get that from someplace else. And we don't know how many of them are also part of the online community, but we can at least say that the online community as a group is larger than the group consisting of Dragon and Dungeon subscribers.

The rest might be annoyed, sad, indifferent, happy, or just not know about it. Or even not care. What will they do? We don't know. There is no way to say how the online community as a group will act.

Or rather there is. We can wait and see.

Time will tell, as always.

/M

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
I think I am beginning to understand how Mark when I mistook his meaning...

Vigilance, it is right there in the quote of me: " I must disagree with your statement that it belongs to ' them ' . " translates into " I must disagree with your statement that it belongs to the ' employees, designers and developers ' . " I simply mistook Mark's " them " as being the " employees, designers and developers " rather than WotC, the legal entity.

Agamon, if you had bothered to read the Wikipedia article I linked on corporate stakeholders, you would of seen that a corporate stakeholder is defined as a person who is impacted or impacts a companys actions. This is a completely different concept from a shareholder. The narrow list of stakeholders on that website includes employees, customers, shareholders, and investors.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
RavinRay said:
Out of curiosity,

How many of you here are mods in other boards, not necessarily RPG-related? Then you know exactly what the mods here are going through right now.

I'm a mod of two tennis players' boards (no, I won't say whose ;) ). Hats off to the mods here for all their hard work.
I've been a mod at the biggest comic book site on the Internet (bigger than the traffic to the DC or Marvel sites) and if anything, the mods here are bending over backwards to not ban people.

Put me in charge, and I would violently oppress the peasantry! Raar! Put the barding on the horse and go get my spiky armor!

Bardsandsages

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I've been a mod at the biggest comic book site on the Internet (bigger than the traffic to the DC or Marvel sites) and if anything, the mods here are bending over backwards to not ban people.

Put me in charge, and I would violently oppress the peasantry! Raar! Put the barding on the horse and go get my spiky armor!

We have peasants here? Why are they not out in the fields or cleaning my castle! Get them all back to work NOW!

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
A few more cheers here -- one for Morrus and the Mods (band name, anyone?) and another for the idea of giving the WOTC people who want to post some assurance that we, as a community, intend to welcome them here.

There are perfectly appropriate reactions -- dismay, concern for the small company losing an important part of their business model, a sense of loss over a big part of our gaming lives for a very long time, and so on. But none of those feelings are served by heaping insults on top of abuse, nor by making these boards anything other than a community of friends. So, thanks for all the work to try to rein in the ugliness.

-rg

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Thanks, folks. I've suspended three people today. We'll do what we need to in order to make things civil - but we truly appreciate all the people who are making sure that they're self-moderating, because that makes the threads better for everyone.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Thanks, folks. I've suspended three people today. We'll do what we need to in order to make things civil - but we truly appreciate all the people who are making sure that they're self-moderating, because that makes the threads better for everyone.

Isn't self-medicating illegal.... O you said moderating.....
**** nothing to see here officer move along now, move along......

Its thankless job for you all, but I must say y'all have done a dang fine job of doing it.

Yeti
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

molonel

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

Yup. And as someone who has been a mod on a couple of much smaller, lower traffic forums, I will say with certainty that when you're nice, and people still spit in your eye, the temptation to become a lot less nice is well-nigh irresistable.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Piratecat said:

QFT

Despite what others may think, I don't get much joy from banning people.

Well ok, a little. But only my evil part.

Remove ads