Modern/Delta Green - The Beginning of the End (COMPLETED)

talien

Community Supporter
Black Guard: Conclusion

Jim-Bean, Hammer, and Archive walked slowly out of the house, backwards, weapons on the ground.

“We’re with CIFA,” said Hammer. “My badge is on the ground.”

The cops grabbed their badges and cuffed them while they checked out their identification.

Nina Juarez was at the ready, this time with a camera crew.

“Agent Grange,” she said, “we’ve gotten reports that Dr. Bitterich was seen at Revie’s Retreat, a funeral home. Was his death a hoax?”

“I don’t know,” said Hammer, looking a little pale. “You tell me.”

“If they saw Bitterich,” said Archive, frowning, “then that means…” he caught himself when Nina swung the camera to face him.

“What was that?” The floodlight beamed onto Archive’s sweaty face.

Archive smiled and whispered something.

The camera popped and sparked as the floodlight went out.

talien

Community Supporter
The Evil Stars: Introduction

This story hour is from “The Evil Stars” in Cthulhu Now by the late Keith Herber. You can read more about Delta Green at Delta Green. Please note: This story hour contains spoilers!

Our cast of characters includes:

• Game Master: Michael Tresca
  • Kurtis "Hammer" Grange (Fast Hero/Gunslinger) played by George Webster
  • Joseph “Archive” Fontaine (Dedicated Hero/Acolyte) played by Joe Lalumia
  • Jim “Jim-Bean” Baxter (Charismatic Hero) played by Jeremy Ortiz (Jeremy Robert Ortiz)
Despite the fact that I wrote scenarios months in advance, sometimes I get caught by surprise. And this session, the players finished the previous scenario faster than I anticipated. I had my notes, so we dove right into the next one. The challenge was that I knew we wouldn’t finish the second scenario, so I had to find a natural break. Fortunately, this scenario does just that.

The Evil Stars is a scenario loaded with cheese. It features an evil rock band who makes a deal with dark mythos forces in the most complicated way imaginable. God’s Lost Children, whom I introduced in a much earlier scenario, uses its tours across the U.S. to lead the crowd in a mystical chant that in turn empowers standing stones. The chant idea is actually pretty cool – the notion that a major death metal star is hiring cement trucks to build massive standing stones at each concert isn’t nearly as a cool. But far be it from me to shrink from a challenge. I can only go to this “heavy metal really is evil” well so many times, so I crammed it full of every cliché I could think of.

First, we actually start with the biker gang, Satan’s Sadists, as part of the At Your Door campaign. This is a nice introduction to the gang and gives the agents a reason to care what they’re up to. After the gang attempts (and fails) to steal the baby dark young they were transporting to a Majestic-12 front company, the agents get a lead on the gang. They’re not hard to follow, since they’re security for God’s Lost Children.

But I didn’t stop there. I shifted Star’s role to a much more important one, turned Billy into a killing machine, and created a narrative that took a page from Terminator: Star wants to snitch on Satan’s Sadists, but it’s up to the agents to retrieve her. And when Brianne (changed from Brian, because I have a rock star female miniature) Lochnar of God’s Lost Children finds out, she calls in a Mythos favor to set Billy on Star's trail. What ensues is a long string of violent interludes that culminates in a battle of the bands.

Defining Moment: Hammer discovers that knowledge can be a lot more threatening than a gun.

Relevant Media
  • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001037WSE?ie=UTF8&tag=michaeltresca&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001037WSE]Let Sleeping Gods Lie[/ame]: By Darkest Hillside of the Thickets.
  • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0933635516?ie=UTF8&tag=michaeltresca&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0933635516]Cthulhu Now[/ame]: Source of the Evil Stars scenario.
  • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0933635648?ie=UTF8&tag=michaeltresca&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0933635648]At Your Door[/ame]: Source of Full Wilderness scenario.
  • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0954752627?ie=UTF8&tag=michaeltresca&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0954752627]The Book of Unremitting Horror[/ame]: Source of Organ Grinder.

Last edited:

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Prologue

Violet flows from the wound in your chest
Black is the hole in which you rest
Your heart of gold was ripped in two
Soaked in the sickness that is you.

--Colour Me Green by Darkest of the Hillside Thickets​
“So Fiona said this was something we should see, huh?” asked Archive as they made their way through Full Wilderness’ headquarters.

Hammer nodded. “She’s come a long way from not trusting us.”

“Memory loss will do that to you,” Archive said ruefully.

“Not everyone has memory loss, that’s why we had to leave Jim-Bean in the car,” muttered Hammer. They hadn’t anticipated on returning so soon, so it was best if Jim-Bean laid low for the moment. The staff of Full Wilderness would undoubtedly recognize him from his last “terrorist” incident.

Jatik welcomed them into his office and got right down to business.

“Full Wilderness has for several years sponsored a variety of natural science researches, especially investigations into insect ecologies, energy budgets, and symbiotic relationships. You see, a symbiotic relationship is merely one between two species in which each benefits from the association—for instance, in the bottle-tailed squid some species of internal bacteria generate the luminescence for the squid's photophores, and in turn are fed by the creature. Beneficent human intestinal bacteria are another example. The organization does this to contribute its share in the pool of scientific research needed to save the planet. I do not know how well-acquainted you are with the ongoing crisis, but I can assure you that recent efforts to downplay the significance of a degrading environment stem from scientific misinterpretations and the grossest of economic motives, Every day lost cannot be regained, and may in the end prove our undoing."

“What does this have to do with us?” asked Hammer.

Jatik continued: “This last week I received a personal call from a Dr. Harold Gall, who swore that some of Full Wilderness's money "was being misused for the foulest purposes." About just what he was alarmed was not made clear. Fearing exposure and loss of employment, Gall sent a communication by private courier in support of his charges.”

Jatik handed Archive a computer printout.

“Dear Mr. Jatik,” read Archive aloud. “This situation is so upsetting to me that I am unable to work effectively. I really don't know how to reply to your questions. There are so many things to explain, and so many places I could start. Now that I have raised the issue, I need a few days to compose a methodical presentation which you can use to create a plan of action. Per the enclosed exhibit, please follow the instructions carefully. It has to do with the work being done here. Enough of these things have died that I can fake the death of one more.”

Archive hesitated. “There’s a paragraph entitled ‘feeding instructions.’”

Jatik nodded sagely. Hammer encouraged Archive to keep reading.

He shrugged and continued. “The specimen currently eats a diet of 6 parts raw hamburger, 4 parts freshly-killed flies, and 1 part bone meal, in the total amount of 1 kg per 10 kg of body mass. It does not appear to ingest liquids directly, though a colleague believes that it does in higher humidity. Since acquisition, it has grown slowly—weight it weekly and increase feedings proportionately.”

“What eats freshly killed flies?” asked Hammer.

Jatik cleared his throat. “Dr. Gall disappeared approximately a week ago. His dented and damaged car was found abandoned al Seacliff Palisades Park, in a quiet residential neighborhood. Based on evidence found in the car, the police believe that Gall committed suicide. They make that guess mostly from the evidence of Tail's car. I can supply the name of the detective in charge of the case. Sgt. Jack Bolling."

“So someone killed him to shut him up? What did he give you, Jatik?” asked Hammer.

"The affair is even stranger than you may be guessing,” said Jatik. He uttered a brief command into a phone, and two aides pushed in a short dolly. It bore a crate covered by a tarpaulin.

Jatik dismissed the two men. As he swept back the covering. Jatik couldn’t refrain from a flourish, but his "Tah-dah" was flat and ominous, as it might be: inside wriggled an eighteen-inch-high tentacle THING.

As soon as the tarpaulin was lifted, the thing leaped across the container towards Hammer in a single lunge, squeaking fiercely, its tentacles gripping the sides of the cylinder in a fruitless effort to snag such toothsome food.

The creature was in a travel container, a Plexiglas cylinder about a yard wide and a yard high, walls an inch thick, closed at either end by stout hydraulic clamps and double-latched. A few breathing holes broke the seal.

“What the hell is that?” asked Hammer.

Jatik shook his head. '"This arrived by messenger the day that Gall disappeared. What is it? Where could it have come from? What could it be for?”

Archive pointed a shaking finger at the thing. “That…that is unnatural.”

"It put one of my employees in the hospital,” said Jatik. “Gall must have somehow drugged the thing. It arrived here limp, in this cylinder. We thought it had died. No heartbeat. Then it suddenly jumped our resident zoologist and bit off her left thumb. The teeth are razor sharp. Now she's suing us because we wouldn't kill it to get her thumb back."

It was indeterminable if the thing has a front or a back, just meaningless knobs and bumps and hollows. Drool and pus seeped from various mouths and orifices: a foul stench filled the air. Its multiple mouths opened and shut with voracious clicks and disturbing slurps. After a few minutes, the thing begins to squeal incessantly.

Putting the tarpaulin back over the container brought more piercing screams. Jatik sighed and called in the aides, who remove dolly and contents.

“The existence of the monstrosity is more than enough reason for Full Wilderness to be concerned. I shudder at such a thing turned loose in a favorable environment. I of course thought of the helpful government agents and was sure they would be interested.”

Hammer frowned. “We’ll take it from here.

As they left to go, Jatik said over their shoulders: “Full Wilderness has tens of thousands of local and national contacts. We are as much a philosophical organization as one devoted to practical ends, and consequently we have influence at every level of government. If you need the way smoothed, we can help."

Somehow, that bothered Hammer more than the creature did.

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Part 1 – The Inevitable Happens

Hammer, Jim-Bean, and Archive drove down a large black truck down a four-lane thoroughfare--two lanes each northeast and southwest—past dusty commercial offices and light industry.

“You see that?” asked Jim-Bean, looking back over his shoulder out the window.

“What?” asked Hammer, eyes on the road.

“Motorcycles. Lots of ‘em.”

The thrum of motorcycle engines was suddenly all around them.

Three motorcycles pulled up on either side of them. Each motorcycle was driven by a massive biker wearing leathers, a beard, sunglasses, dangling skull-and-crossbones earrings, confederate flag patches, imitation Iron Crosses, and handlebars that end in spiked mace heads. All of the biker gang wore jackets with a cartoon face of Satan flanked by Capital S’s on their backs. One biker-man's T-shirt read “GLC”.

Riding behind two of the bikers were tough-looking young blondes dressed less remarkably. Each woman carried a medium-sized flat box with the butt end propped against her right thigh. One biker-woman's pants had a two-inch circle carefully cut in the seat, through which showed skin and a neatly-tattooed yellow triskelion.

“Hammer,” said Archive, “there’s a black van in front and behind us—“

The truck jolted as the van behind them hit its bumper. The van in front began to slow down.

“They’re boxing us in!” shouted Hammer.

Gunfire peppered the back of the truck and there was an explosion. Hammer yanked hard on the wheel, struggling to keep the truck under control.

“I got it,” said Archive, whispering a chant to himself.

Suddenly the truck righted itself again. “What did you do?” asked Jim-Bean.

“I healed our truck,” said Archive nonchalantly.

“Take care of the bikers!” shouted Hammer. The van in front of them slowed down, ramming their bumper.

Jim-Bean focused on the bike to their right. The biker took a sudden sharp turn, losing control of the vehicle as it smashed into the bike behind it. Both vehicles flipped, causing a pile up behind them.

Archive pointed at one of the bikers, still chanting. Sparks arced from the engine and the biker peeled off.

“The vans!” said Hammer through gritted teeth. Another tied exploded from gunfire, and this time Archive didn’t have time to repair it. “Stop the vans!”

The beast under the tarp began to shriek.

Archive inscribed something on his palm and held it out to the back window. Seeing his palm, the driver of the van yanked the wheel hard, taking out another bike and peeling off pursuit.

Hammer drew his Glock from his shoulder holster and, in one smooth motion, blew the tire out of the adjacent motorcycle. It skidded to a stop.

The truck lost control, spinning sideways to a stop. The van in front of them pulled over. One motorcycle was still coming at them.

“Steady,” said Hammer. He took careful aim…

Hammer fired just as the biker closed on them. The front tire exploded, bucking his motorcycle forward and hurtling the rider up and over the truck.

“Our truck is shot!” said Jim-Bean, inspecting the tires. Men in dark suits and sunglasses, carrying 9mm parabellum pistols, filed out of the back of the van. They opened fire, further peppering the truck.

Another tire blew. The thing in the back squealed piteously.

“Don’t hit their van!” said Jim-Bean.

Archive chanted and a swarm of buzzing insects spiraled down from the heavens onto the men.

“What the hell is that?” asked Hammer, firing on them.

Jim-Bean rummaged through his rucksack. “A diversion.” He snapped on a gas mask. “Speaking of which.” He held up a tear gas grenade.

A second later the grenade was spiraling in front of the van.

Jim-Bean strode through the cloud, firing his pistol into the foreheads of the gagging men. He then grabbed the driver out and tossed him aside.

Archive pointed, and the buzzing swarm descended on him. When it lifted, there was nothing but bleached bones.

Sirens wailed in the distance.

Jim-Bean hopped in. The engine was still running. “Looks like we’ve got our new ride…”

Archive and Hammer hoisted the beast into the back of the van and took off.

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Part 2 – Zymvotek

The biotechnology firm Zymvotek was a five-minute drive away. The agents pulled into a new industrial park, one of those campus-like affairs, with freshly-dyed grass and newly-purchased trees. They stopped before a silver-and-black, block-long building with a twelve -foot-high orange “Z” looming beside the main entrance.

The guards directed them to a loading dock, where they were greeted by two people in white lab coats, far down the side of the building. They passed out visitor passes to everyone.

“Oh great,” said Hammer. “It’s your girlfriend.”

“Not. My. Girlfriend,” said Jim-Bean through gritted teeth.

Dr. Lisa Howell had improved her looks since they last met, changing her haircut and even putting on makeup. She was cute, in a geek girl sort of way.

She smiled at Jim-Bean as the other lab assistant trundled the thing out of the back of the van. It began squealing again.

“So you got transferred, huh?” asked Jim-Bean, trying to make polite conversation and get Howell to stop smiling at him.

He was being nice; Howell was running a virtual reality server on a crystal matrix AI. It had nearly cost Howell her life. The saving grace was that the entire server system had been destroyed by the FRACTAL GODS virus, so there was no evidence of wrongdoing. Still, Majestic-12 punished any failure, including being in the wrong place at the right time. Her transfer to the opposite coast was a mild slap on the wrist.

Howell nodded. “At Zymvotek, we mostly study the commercial possibilities of bacteria—as food for humans, of course, and that's how the company began, but also as oil-eaters, selenium-fixers, mineral-concentrators, that sort of thing. Until a few weeks ago we had a division dedicated to cosmetics tests on animals. Everyone was glad to halt those tests, and the facilities are still intact: Corporate doesn’t know what to do with them until next year’s budget plan is complete. We can use this area for several months without interference: I've already gotten the space allocation."

They entered a large room, silent and empty except for lab benches, utility connections, and stacked rows of gleaming stainless steel cages numbering in the hundreds.

Howell’s chatter ended abruptly when the assistant removed the tarpaulin and she actually saw the creature in the cylinder. Her jaw dropped in delight.

"Sprague said this was something special, but I could never have dreamed of this! This is no recombinant product, gentlemen." she chuckled happily to herself, and began to make plans. Jim-Bean was abruptly forgotten.

“Have fun,” said Hammer. “In the mean time, we need to track down that biker gang. They somehow knew what we had in the truck. That means there’s a leak.”

Archive nodded. “I looked it up. Those bikers were members of Satan’s Sadists. They’re also security for God’s Lost Children—“

“GLC?” asked Jim-Bean. “One of those guys was wearing a shirt with GLC on it.”

Archive nodded. “God’s Lost Children. Harking back to such elaborate ’70s rock acts as KISS, Pink Floyd, and Alice Cooper, God’s Lost Children is as much a visual tour de force as an act of pure sonic aggression — which is exactly why their handlers at Grandeur Records have pumped millions of dollars into making the band one of the top acts in the world. Through constant media exposure, the whole process has taken less than six months.”

“I remember them,” said Hammer. “We played their record backwards…”

“Secrets of N’Kai,” said Archive, nodding along with Hammer. “That’s how we defeated that statue of Tsathoggua—“

“Sorry, what?” asked Jim-Bean.

“You weren’t there,” they said in unison.

Jim-Bean shrugged. “Oh.”

Archive continued. “God’s Lost Children has a concert tomorrow in Jacksonville, Florida. There are rumors that they incite riots everywhere they play.”

“I bet,” said Hammer. “I don’t like the sound of this one bit.”

“You should see their music video,” said Archive. He clicked a button and an embedded video flashed on their cistrons.

The video was ineptly shot and edited. No attempt was made to synchronize what was happening on the soundtrack with the action on the screen. Most of it was a languorous art-house rolling shot of subway tunnels, trash piled up against walls and sleeping tramps. This was interspersed with images from occult books, mostly woodcuts of Satan and his witches, as if someone had held a video camera directly above an open book. At various points, heavily made-up faces leered into the camera from a few inches away.

Then they saw it.

The thing had its back to the camera and was tearing up homeless people. Then it stopped, like a dog sniffing the air, and turned round. There was no face, just a peeled back skull and something like a huge set of dentures in the middle. Industrial limbs extruded from its shoulders, tipped with whirring claws. It started to stride towards the camera. It moved with a horrible lurching gait, like Sadako from Ringu, as if it were broken on the inside.

The three agents watched, fascinated, when suddenly the thing in the cage started shrieking, causing them to jump. Archive stopped the video, breaking the tension.

Hammer’s cistron rang. A call was being routed to his cell. He stepped outside of the warehouse to take the call. “Agent Hammer.”

“...look, Agent...uh, Hammer, don't put me on hold and don't transfer me to another department...” said a feminine voice.

“Who is this?” asked Hammer.

“Star. Star Pardee. Look, I know something about the attack on your vehicle. My boyfriend was behind it and he found out that I was planning to talk to the Feds. I'm at the Black Dragon Restaurant in Toronto, can you pick me up?"

“We’ll get there as soon as we can.”

Hammer hung up just in time before Jim-Bean, barely within earshot, shouted. “Oh no, I am NOT going on another SPIDER transport!”

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Part 3 – Enter the Dragon

Toronto's Chinatown district was south of their hotel, bounded roughly by the thoroughfares of Dundas, Spadina, Queen, and College. Markets, restaurants, curio shops, newsstands, and other places of business dotted the streets, decorating the area with colorful signs--mostly in Chinese. Those of Chinese descent thronged the streets: live fish swam about in window-side tanks; orange- and red-necked barbecued duck and pork hung weirdly in restaurant and market windows: produce stands overflowed with fresh vegetables and fragrant fruits.

The newish Black Dragon Restaurant & Lounge was located in the heart of Chinatown, on Dundas Street. The large establishment featured Tcho-Tcho cuisine, previously unfamiliar to gourmets in the area and something of a hit with those who took dining seriously.

The restaurant exterior was painted a flamboyant gold and red: the green and black inferior was decorated with dragon statues, lanterns, Tcho-Tcho throwing spears, oddly wriggling octopus-like creatures, and so on. Whether the agents arrive for dinner, they ended up waiting in the lounge.

“Tcho-tchos,” said Jim-Bean with a sigh. “You know what we’re going to have to do, don’t you?”

Archive took the bait. “What?”

“Burn it down,” said Jim-Bean.

The Black Dragon restaurant had a gloomy interior, which revealed itself to be less than savory. Pool tables and upper-middle lowlife lurked in submarine depths of smoky haze. Dim table candles illuminated the bar like lighthouses in a fog. In the background, a God’s Lost Children song wailed from the jukebox.

The lounge featured the widely-advertised Window of the Verdant Sylph, a circular glass window reminiscent of a porthole. It was two feet in diameter. Through it could be seen a nude young blonde woman swimming or lolling underwater, regularly rising partly out of the window to breathe. The window was to the left of the bar, against the back wall, high enough above that everyone can see.

The porthole was actually a circular lens, reducing the woman's apparent size to about eighteen inches in length. Given that reduction and the tank's calculated backlighting, the swimmer's intrinsic modesty or immodesty remained a point of contention among lounge regulars.

Hammer noticed during a particularly close pass to the window that a dark patch could be seen on the woman’s right buttock identical to the tattoo which he saw earlier on the biker women.

“That’s our girl,” said Hammer.

“Bartender!” shouted Jim-Bean.

The bartender came over. He had filed teeth that glinted malevolently. “Yes-uh?”

“We’d like to talk to that woman,” said Jim-Bean, pointing at the porthole. He slipped the bartender two hundred dollars.

"She mosetuh swim a time, yeh—p’raps gentles drinkuh? P’raps gentles ituh in din-rom?”

Their table ready, the agents ate an excellent meal, dishes mainly vegetarian or pork-based. Many ingredients were unfamiliar. Archive’s dish was delicious in particular, an odd sauce over green vegetables.

Star had a break every 40 minutes. She left for her dressing room and the tcho-tcho waiter informed them of her availability. Jim-Bean stood up.

“Coming?”

“I don’t want them to think…” Hammer looked around nervously. “You know, that all of us at once…”

Jim-Bean laughed. “You’re so modest. Fine, stay out here. Me and Archive will go in ‘all at once.’” He smirked.

Archive followed Jim-Bean to Star’s room. By the time they arrived she had put on a robe.

When they entered Star’s tiny, dingy, windowless room—not much more than a light fixture, a clothes tree, a day bed, and a stack of magazines – her face went pale. Her hands shook a little as she lit a cigarette. “You got my message?”

“Yeah,” said Jim-Bean. “So you said you have information to share with us?”

Star wandered around, substituting eye contact for mental content. She did too many drugs to be very interested in abstract thought. “It’s not safe here. I can tell you who hired me for the job, but you need to get me out of here first.”

There was a gunshot outside.

Jim-Bean snatched Star’s cigarette from her and took a drag. “That’s our cue. Let’s go.”

“Do you have a plan?” asked Star, her voice rising hysterically.

“Not really,” said Archive. “It’s pretty much the same plan he uses everywhere.”

“What’s that?” asked Star.

Jim-Bean pulled a block of C-4 out of his duffel bag. “Blow it all up.”

talien

Community Supporter
The Evil Stars: Part 4 – Billy’s Club

A tall, muscular man entered with a pig-like squint to his eyes. He's dressed in the traditional riding leathers of a biker, complete with Satan's Sadists vest. He was huge and muscular, with python-like arms, a bald head covered by a do-rag, and bristling with hostility. In one arm was a fire ax, and a shotgun was in the other. The entire bar went silent when he entered.

“Billy,” said Hammer. He drew his pistols, unnoticed.

“Uh, excuse me suh,” said the owner, a small, shifty-looking tcho-tcho. “No weapons allowed he—“

Billy put the shotgun to the tcho-tcho’s head and pulled the trigger.

The tcho-tcho’s head exploded. People shouted, scrambling for the exits.

Hammer kicked over the table.

“You!” snarled Billy, pointing with his axe. “Where is she?”

“Put your weapons down!” shouted Hammer. “This is your only warning!”

Billy reloaded the shotgun with one hand.

Hammer let loose, firing. One of the bullets punctured Billy’s shoulder. He didn’t seem to notice.

A shotgun blast splintered the table in front of Hammer.

Hammer ducked back behind the table.

The blade of an axe head jutted out right near Hammer’s face. He stumbled backwards.

With a roar, Billy flipped the table effortlessly away. Hammer came up with both pistols cocked…

And Billy froze. Across the room, Archive had just finished a chant that culminated in pointing at Billy.

Billy was stuck in mid-strike, shotgun aimed at Hammer’s head, axe lifted high. Hammer recognized Archive’s accomplishment with a nod of his head and set about tying Billy up.

When he was done, he dragged Billy out the door. Jim-Bean, Archive, and Star met them at the car.

“We’d better go,”: said Jim-Bean. Billy was hog tied, arms and legs tied together, and blindfolded. He helped Hammer drop Billy into the trunk of their rental car.

“Since when are you so helpful?” asked Hammer suspiciously.

“No reason.” Jim-Bean slammed the trunk. “Can’t a guy be helpful?”

“What did you do,” warned Hammer.

“Nothing, let’s go before this guy wakes up. There’s a green box near here…”

Hammer threw the car in gear. As he pulled away, the Black Dragon Restaurant exploded.

Hammer shot Jim-Bean a glare, who smiled sheepishly back at him.

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Part 5 – Billy Smash!

Bekleys Auto Repair appeared to be just another small shop on Toronto’s south side. With its crumbling facade and dirty windows, few people gave the store more than a passing glance. Inside, the repair shop looked even worse, with its peeling wallpaper, creaking floorboards and layers of dust thick enough for mice to ski on.

Many of the people in the neighborhood wondered how Tom and Rose Bekley could support themselves with the meager few customers who wandered in every few weeks. Naturally, the police checked by occasionally to make sure the Bekleys weren’t selling drugs, or fencing stolen goods. But everything was legal and quite innocuous. The auto parts worked even if they were highly overpriced. There just weren’t any customers.

However, Tom and Rose secretly worked for Majestic-12. Green Box #14 was a standard example of the storage facilities maintained by the Majestic-12 janitorial staff.

Jim-Bean and Hammer dragged Billy into the room between them. A nervous Star entered accompanied by Archive.

Hammer nodded at Tom. Tom nodded back and flicked a supposedly “broken” light switch behind the counter. It opened a reader for a Majestic-12 cistron in the bathroom.

Hammer held up his cistron to the reader. The wall slid back to reveal a hidden passage that led to a small elevator. They clambered into it.

The elevator descended one hundred and forty feet down into the sub-sub-basement. The center floor of the warehouse had a small elevator capable of moving a six-foot square box. Below were three work areas.

They dragged Billy to the labs. The small testing and processing lab was common to Green Box facilities. A workshop filled the remaining space. It was stocked with raw materials and electronic replacement parts. At the end of the room were three ten-foot by ten-foot specialty rooms with double airtight doors. They trussed Billy up, upside down, hanging from a hook in the holding tank. Hammer replaced Billy’s plastic handcuffs with steel-alloy manacles. When they were sure he was secure, they closed and locked the massive door.

Archive scribed something in chalk on the doorway.

“What’s that?” asked Jim-Bean.

“A ward,” said Archive. “Just in case.”

“That door is made of steel alloy. If that doesn’t keep him in there, nothing will,” said Hammer.

They brought Star to the barracks. After letting her clean herself up, she sat down in the kitchen.

Hammer listened to her story while Jim-Bean and Archive raided the armory.

“We were hired for the job by Howard Finley,” said Star, taking a drag on a new cigarette. “Finley arranged for us to leave the country for awhile when we were done.”

“So you were paid to steal the creature from us?”

Star nodded. “He paid us a total of $40,000, cash. Not bad for a couple of hours’ work. That doesn’t include the one-way airline tickets to get us out of Samson for awhile.”

“Tell us about your boyfriend in there,” said Hammer.

"I was dating Billy. He's the leader of Satan's Sadists. I don't know what I was thinking..." Star sighed. "But that's when things got weird. Brianne Lochnar, the lead singer of God’s Lost Children, hired Billy's gang as security. We traveled from place to place, and for a little while everything was good. But then the monoliths started."

“Monoliths?” asked Hammer.
"Lochnar goes on these meditations between sets. But it's more than a meditation. She visits ancient burial mounds. Sometimes there’s monoliths already there. Other times, she hires concrete trucks and everything to build them. She even hires artisans to chisel words into them, I don’t know what they say. Then she sacrifices...things. I never saw the rituals until the last time, and that's when I wanted out.”

“What kind of things?’ asked Hammer.

“She sacrificed…” Star shuddered. "Kittens. She slit the poor things’ throats. The sound was horrible! Horrible!" Star shook her head. "I freaked out. Billy slapped me then. I'm convinced Lochnar would have killed me right then and there if it wasn't for Billy, but I heard them whispering and I knew it was time to run. So I fled, and Billy's been chasing me ever since--"

The whole place shuddered just as Jim-Bean and Archive entered the room, loaded with explosives.

“What was that?” asked Jim-Bean.

There was the sound of sparks and a muffled explosion.

“Billy,” said Archive grimly. “He just set off the ward.”

Hammer checked his pistols. “I’ll take care of it.”

Star’s eyes widened. “He got out of that room? The steel alloy room?”

Jim-Bean shrugged as Hammer left to investigate. “Hammer’s taking care of it,” he said confidently.

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Part 6 – Hasta la Vista

There was the sound of wrenching metal.

“Hammer?” asked Jim-Bean. “Come back.”

Archive and Jim-Bean exchanged a worried glance.

“What?” asked Star. “What?!”

“Hammer’s not answering his comm.” Jim-Bean loaded a pistol. “Stay close to me.”

Archive drew his Glock and followed a worried Star out the door to the main chamber.

The double doors had been torn off their hinges with incredible force. The proof of impact was evident in Hammer, who lay underneath one of the doors, unconscious. Another door across the way had been struck so hard that it was nearly folded in half.

“The armory,” said Archive. “He’s going to get his weapons.”

“Maybe. I don’t plan to stick around to find out. Grab Hammer.”

Archive dragged Hammer out from underneath the door and onto the elevator in the center of the room, onto the elevator platform. Jim-Bean and Star joined him. He punched the red button labeled UP.

Jim-Bean rifled through his bag.

“What are you doing?” asked Star.

“Leaving a parting gift,” said Jim-Bean. He pulled out a few blocks of C4, with detonators attached. “Courtesy of the armory Billy is raiding.”

Just before the elevated platform cleared the ceiling of the entrance, Jim-Bean rolled the C4 through the opening.

“This is a concrete facility,” said Jim-Bean. “A blast inside this thing will cook everything in it.”

They exited through the bathroom.

Tom Bekley stood at the register. “Got trouble boys?”

“Big trouble,” said Jim-Bean. “You’d better clear out, something big and pissed off just tore through our holding cell.”

Old Tom reached underneath the register and pulled out a shotgun. “You boys go on ahead. Me and Rose will buy you some time.”

“Hey, I appreciate the gesture old man but…” Jim-Bean caught sight of the old woman, who had pulled a huge revolver from behind a can of beans on the shelf. She spun the chamber expertly to check that it was loaded. “Never mind. Good luck.”

Tom cocked the rifle. “Go! Git now!”

They piled Hammer into the car and took off. The radio was turned to a hard rock station and a God’s Lost Children song blared from the speakers.

“Can you see my body
Can you see it grow
Do you see it throbbing
Won't you watch it glow”

“Shut that $#!+ off!” snarled Jim-Bean.

Star turned the radio off.

Archive put his hands on Hammer’s forehead and whispered a phrase. His eyes fluttered open.

“What happened?”

“You got hit by a door,” said Jim-Bean. “Courtesy of Billy.”

“What IS Billy?” Hammer asked Star accusingly.

“I don’t…I don’t know!” whimpered Star. “We were into the occult, all of us, and I think he took some kind of oath…”

“An oath?” asked Archive, his interest piqued. “What kind of oath?”

“It was…unspeakable.”

“Uh oh,” said Jim-Bean, peering in the driver’s side mirror.

“What now?” asked Hammer.

“I think Billy’s catching up to us.”

Archive turned around. “On what?”

Billy was tucked, his newly acquired Harley Davidson motorcycle gunning the engine as it closed the distance between them.

“You know,” said Jim-Bean, “I’m beginning to think having an automotive shop over the vault wasn’t such a good idea after all.”

talien

Community Supporter
Evil Stars: Part 7 – The Thing from the Video

“I know how to take care of biker gangs,” said Archive. He whispered something and concentrated.

Billy’s bike suddenly sparked, flames licking from the sides of the engine. He lost control, swerving the bike too quickly. It flipped sideways, hurtling Billy to the ground.

He hit the pavement hard, tumbling, rolling, sliding with a chattering screech as flesh stripped away. He hit the guardrail, bounced up, tumbled along the top and then pitched out into space. Billy smashed to the pavement in the middle lane and lay there, face-down. Still.

“Got hi—“ was all Hammer got out. Jim-Bean wasn’t paying attention to the road. He swerved, striking the guardrail as the two lanes suddenly diverged.

The car screeched, one wheel wobbling. Jim-Bean struggled to regain control of the vehicle.

“Stupid rental piece of CRAP,” he snarled. The car began to slow down, the transmission wrecked.

“Guys…” said Star. “I think Billy’s…I think he’s getting up.”

Billy slowly rolled over and sat up. He was a mass of blood, clothing and skin in tatters. Headlights flared behind him and an air horn blared.

A double-trailer Kenworth gasoline tanker smashed him down and under with a crash. Billy rolled, clattering, and the mass blurred above him. He ricocheted between the pavement and the speeding undercarriage until a stray bounce flung him up into the rear suspension. The stunned driver hit the brakes. The air brakes howled.

“Is he dead?” asked Star. “He’s got to be dead…”

“Don’t be so sure,” said Jim-Bean. “I’ve seen a lot of crazy s*&t in my day…”

The body of the driver was tossed out of the side of the tanker, rolling.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” said Hammer.

Billy was in the driver’s seat. The truck bellowed, down-shifting on the curving grade. The tanker smashed cars in the street, tossing them over the side like beer cans.

Jim-Bean pulled out another block of C4 and kissed it. “If I time this just right...” He tossed it out the car window.

The block of C4 swung in an impossible arc, buoyed by Jim-Bean’s telekinesis. Billy looked up as it sailed past…

It landed on top of the gas tank.

The rear trailer exploded. An unbelievable fireball erupted skyward. Then the forward trailer exploded and an ocean of flame rolled forward, blasting past them.

The shockwave from the explosion nearly flipped their car over. It spun around a few times and came to a stop in front of a Best Buy.

“Come on,” said Archive. “We need to get into that Best Buy.”

“Why?” asked Jim-Bean.

In the center of the inferno Billy struggled violently. His flesh fried and sizzled. He tore loose from the twisted wreckage and collapsed to the ground. He sank into a charred mass, finally still.

“That’s it?” asked Star. “That’s it?”

Archive shook his head. “We need to get to some audio equipment. Now.”

“Audio equipment?” asked Hammer. "For what?"

“The band’s song. Hammer, do you remember how we defeated that statue of Tsathoggua?”

“You mean by playing the music backwards?”

“Yeah,” said Archive. “That was a God’s Lost Children song. Maybe that will work…”

Billy staggered out of the blaze behind them. The last flakes of flesh were falling from him like burning leaves. He was larger now, but that wasn’t the worst part. There was no face, just a peeled back skull and something like a huge set of dentures in the middle. Industrial limbs extruded from its shoulders, tipped with whirling claws. Elements of the truck’s chassis were incorporated into its shoulder and one of its arms.

It was the thing from the video.

“Oh my God!” shouted Star hysterically. “He won’t stop! He’ll never stop!”

Jim-Bean, Hammer, and Archive dragged her screaming into the Best Buy.

Remove ads