Modern/Delta Green - The Beginning of the End (COMPLETED)

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 3 – A Little History

The Elberton Granite Museum & Exhibit sat in the center of town – a nine room, two story stone structure, fronted by a small park with a statue of Hunt in its center beckoning to the west.

The museum's industrial building was home to a collection of quarry equipment, funky sculptures, examples of etched gravestones, and an older woman at the desk. The placard introduced her as Mary Jarrard.

"Hello gentlemen," she chirped, clearly pleased to have some company. "Interested in a tour?"

"That'd be great," said Jim-Bean with a smile.

Pleased to have some company, Mary fired up the educational video that the agents watched while strolling the exhibits.

"It all began with Arthur Hunt. Hunt was a local legend in Elberton," a deep, pleasant voice narrated. "He was the “success-story” of the town, almost the inversion of Douglas Yale, the Georgia River Killer. "

"Hunt rose from poverty and a life of debauchery in Elberton to forge an electronics empire that has stood the test of time – surviving even after his unexpected death in 1952. But at first, no one in town thought much of him. In fact, he was considered a local ne’er do well – someone more prone to theft, violence and lying than any productive endeavor."

Photos flashed on the screen. Each showed Hunt in various states of intoxication; including one during the celebration of the end of the Great War where Hunt climbed a light pole with his pants down.

"On May 3, 1922, Hunt was discovered at the Elberton Mound, drunk, carrying a pickaxe and shouting drunkenly about Shawnee gold. Hunt was incarcerated, but it was known in town he still visited the mound."

"Yep," whispered Archive. "Psychic vortex."

"For nearly a year Hunt rarely appeared in town. That all changed on April 9, 1923. Hunt returned to town and settled into the newly finished Elberton Public Library, and began to read for eight hours straight, reading books on nearly every subject. He remained mute, refusing to engage with onlookers. His pace increased until he was reading each page with a glance of only a second or two. He repeated this process for three weeks."

"By week three, Hunt began speaking with the locals, and it was if his entire personality had changed. His voice was quiet – monotone – without any humor in it. His English was precise and ordered. His interactions were brief, and to the point. Hunt ordered a list of 200+ items from the local five and dime, including drafting tools, a table, various metals, torches and workbenches, as well as various radios sets. He paid in gold; which was odd, but not totally unheard of."

More photos flashed, showing Hunt in Elberton, Georgia after 1923. In all of them, his expression was identical; a look of bored detachment. His eyes were passive and strange. He was well kept and clean, though his posture is odd. When standing, he seemed to stoop his head forward in a way that was unnatural for a young man.

"Hunt hired a local man named Allan Mestemacher to run errands for him in town, and Mestemacher became the local conduit for Hunt gossip. The man was working ten hours a day on drawings of complex electrical devices, and building bizarre electronic contraptions. This continued for several years, until it was assumed it would continue this way indefinitely, then, as suddenly as he had first arrived at the library, Hunt arrived in town again, filing papers to incorporate “Hunt Electrodynamics”.

"Hunt’s biggest hit, the Hunt Mark I Resistor, debuted on August 5, 1930, and rocketed the one-man company into the stratosphere. When Hunt realized he could make far more money producing the Resistor, he opened a local Hunt Electrodynamics plant. Soon, the plant was the largest employer in town."

"Speaking through Mestemacher, Hunt ordered the construction of the Guidestones atop the Elberton Mound. The structure he had in mind would serve as a compass, calendar, and clock. It would also need to be engraved with a set of guides written in eight of the world's major languages. And it had to be capable of withstanding the most catastrophic events, so that the shattered remnants of humanity would be able to use those guides to reestablish a better civilization than the one that was about to destroy itself."

"Construction of the Guidestones got under way later that summer. With the purchase of the land, the Guidestones' future was set. Hunt said good-bye to Mestemacher at the company office, adding, "You'll never see me again." Hunt then turned and walked out the door—without so much as a handshake."

"The Guidestones were completed on March 22, 1980. Its engraved edicts inspired some, distressed others. Within a few months, the New Star Crusade cult adopted the Guidestones as their home away from home, making weekend pilgrimages to Elberton to stage various pagan rites and at least one warlock-witch marriage ceremony. No humans were sacrificed on the altar of the stones, but there were rumors that several kittens were beheaded."

"Visitors kept coming but eventually the media lost interest. Curiosity flared again briefly in 1993, when Brianne Lochnar of God's Lost Children contributed a track called 'Georgia Stone' to a tribute album for avant-garde composer John Cage, with Brianne chanting the 10th and final guide nearly verbatim: 'Be not a cancer on Earth—leave room for nature—leave room for nature.'"

"It was later discovered that Hunt had been constructing a town in Death Valley, California – one of the most inhospitable places on Earth. Announcements were made that the Elberton plant would remain in operation, but Hunt would leave for California. By 1940, Hunt was living in Hellbend, California permanently. With Hunt’s mysterious death in the Hellbend explosion of 1952, the Hunt Museum was constructed in Elberton to celebrate its most famous, and successful son."

More pictures flashed of Hunt Electrodynamics promotional shots, showing an impassive Hunt standing before various constructions around the U.S., including a facility in Hellbend at its opening.

"Notice anything unusual about that photo?" asked Jim-Bean.

The last photo, taken three days before the Hellbend explosion in August 1952, showed Hunt to be smirking.

"That's not all that's weird," said Archive. "I don't think he aged a single day in thirty years."

"We need to stake out the Guidestones," said Hammer. He turned to Archive and Jim-Bean. "Go back to Mullinex's place and set up a surveillance point. I'm going to buy some supplies."

"Supplies for what?" asked Archive.

"We're going to visit this New Star Crusade."

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 4 – Seeing Stars

Archive looked up from the scope of a mounted sniper rifle. "I see lights," he said. "A few carloads of people." The rifle was trained on the monument from the Mullinex farmhouse, which they had graciously lent the agents for their use. They left out the part about the sniper rifle.

"That's got to be the New Star Crusade," said Jim-Bean. "The Solstice was coming up, right? This must be their ritual."

Archive returned to looking at the scope. "Yeah. We've got them covered if they try anything stupid, but I recommend we observe…"

Jim-Bean didn't respond.

"Jimmy?"

Archive looked up. Jim-Bean was gone.

Archive swore and looked back in the scope.

Sure enough, Jim-Bean was jogging his way through the swamp towards the cultists, who had filtered out of their cars and were beginning a ritual.

Archive sighed. He wasn't trained to use a sniper rifle like Hammer and Jim-Bean. Jim-Bean would be in real trouble if the cult turned on him…

To his surprise, the cult, after a moment of surprise, seemed to accept Jim-Bean. He chanted along with them, and they performed a dance and what looked like a consecration ritual. If what Jim-Bean said was true, the cult instinctively understood that something malefic was lurking in the Mound – and worse, that their efforts were only feeding it, not warding it off.

The group gathered around Jim-Bean. Archive began to sweat. He put his finger on the trigger…

Jim-Bean held up one thumb, meant only for Archive to see, though the cultists seemed to interpret his gesture as one of endorsement. Then he got in the car and drove off with them.

Archive sighed and picked up his cistron. "Hammer, I've got something to report…"

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 5 – The Wrong Guy

Hammer was on his way out of the Elberton general store, when his attention swung to a sudden movement a hundred feel down a dark alley. A dim light glowed weakly from beyond a dumpster, then extinguished as a car door slammed, and then a dark figure dashed away down the alley. Behind the figure, a car horn began to blow unceasingly.

Hammer threw his bags in the trunk of the rental car and approached the blaring auto. It was an idling Elberton taxicab with the body of its driver, horribly mutilated, rammed against the steering wheel. The man's throat was slashed open, his vocal cords exposed. His ribs were broken and bent back. Most of his internal organs lay in a steaming heap beneath the steering wheel.

Hammer backed away. The police would be there soon enough, and this wasn't his business – not yet, anyway.

He got in his car and drove off, circling the area as police vehicles shrieked onto the scene. His cistron buzzed with an alert.

"…police are looking for an African-American man of medium height and build, wearing an overcoat, who fled the scene."

Hammer swore and turned the car around. He pulled up a moment later in front of the Elberton police station.

As he walked his way up the steps to the main office, there were collective gasps.

Officers fumbled for their pistols. "Get down on the ground! Now!"

Hammer slowly sank to his knees and put his hands behind his head. "I am a government agent. My badge is in my front pocket. I'm going to reach for it slowly…"

"Face down! NOW!"

Hammer sighed and complied.

Officers swarmed him, roughly cuffing him. One of the cops frisked him and discovered his badge.

"Run the numbers," said Hammer. "I'm Agent Grange of the Counter-Intelligence Field Agency."

"We will," said a burly cop whose name tag identified him as Sergeant Moreno. "But until then, we have a few question for you."

Hammer shrugged. "When my ID checks out, you'll be working for me."

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 6 – The Feds Take Over

Moreno came sheepishly into the jail cell where Hammer had been held prisoner. He handed him his Glock, cistron, badge, and wallet back.

"Sorry about that," said Moreno.

Hammer shrugged. "You were just doing your job. Happens all the time." They walked to debriefing room. "What do we have so far?"

Moreno pulled out a file filled with pictures and autopsies. He laid it out on the table.

"The homicide detail has been significantly increased," said Moreno. "We think we've established a pattern over the years of killings since 2000: the first victim was Nathaniel Moore, a laborer for the Elberton's water department. On the day of the murder, Moore was working on a portion of leaking sewer at the Elberton Granite Museum & Exhibit."

"I'm familiar with it," said Hammer.

"Year ago, Moore called from the museum to his supervisor, indicated that the repairs were not totally complete but that he was leaving for the day. That was last Moore was heard from."

"The second victim was Brian Lombardo, a high school student. Lombardo's mother stated that Brian left home to attend a swim meet. He never arrived."

"The third victim was Russell Simons, a student at Athens Technical College. He was last seen five days before his body was discovered."

"The most recent victim you saw for yourself: Ken Stewart, driver for the Elberton Cab Company. Stewart called in a pick-up on King Street in midtown—that was the last anyone heard from him until you found him."

"Were the victims disemboweled like Stewart?"

Moreno nodded, pulling out three pictures. "All of the victims were savagely slashed numerous times with a sharp object. Kidneys and hearts of Moore, Simons, and Stewart were missing. None of them were robbed."

"Any signs of blood or struggle?"

"No," said Moreno. "In the first three murders, the bodies had been moved after death. Each body was neatly concealed behind a dumpster, in an alley, or in the sewer. Traces of blood were found only on and immediately around the bodies. My money's on The New Star Crusade."

Hammer arched an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"You Feds must have a file on Douglas Yale. The murders fit his MO."

"Yeah."

"Then you know they churn out crazies. Back before Yale, trespassing by townies was a common thing on the New Star Crusade farm, and Danen Ignis, the cult leader, claimed we refused to act with 'necessary speed and clarity' to resolve such situations. Ignis taped his phone calls to our department and recorded our arrival times. He then filed a personal suit against the county and cost us another eight hundred thousand dollars in damages. We've been monitoring the farm since then, but can't do much else without probable cause." Moreno grinned. "I'd say this counts."

"So you've got an APB out for Yale?"

Moreno shook his head. "It can't be him."

"Why not?"

"Because he's dead. We kept it quiet, but we found Yale's bones back in October 2001. Bet that ain't in your file, huh?"

Hammer scratched his head. "Why hasn't there been more news around these murders?"

Moreno's grin vanished. "Lawyers. Back when the Yale incident happened in 2001, the cult’s lawyer in Jacksonville, Richard A. Goldfarb, sent a strongly worded letter warning us against making a public connection between Yale and the Cult. The chief is so scared of another lawsuit, he doesn't even want the press to know about it. We were hoping they were animal attacks, what with Yale dead. But now…"

"We sit tight," said Hammer.

"But we could get a judge—"

Hammer shot him a glare. "I said we SIT TIGHT. I've got a man on the inside. In the mean time, I'd like to chat with the dispatcher."

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 7 – When You Wish Upon a Star

The New Star Crusade farm sat on twenty-five acres of land to the west of Elberton, Georgia. The property backed up on the Elberton Mound site; and a well-worn path ran from the ramshackle buildings of the farm to the Mound site. The buildings of the farm were once sane and ordered; but they had long since degenerated.

A small weather-beaten port-a-potty converted to use as a tollbooth oversaw the entrance from the main road. Someone was always here, watching those coming and going.

They passed a barn and farmhouse, a pond in between, pulling up to a grainery. Ignis and his followers marched Jim-Bean to the grainery and shoved aside loose hay to reveal a trap door. They all filed down the steps.

The polished wooden staircase led down to a large gymnasium-like room. The floor was covered by athletic foam mats, except for the center that was cut out to display an inset marble floor with an Elder Sign lightly etch in it. Various symbols decorated the walls. Candelabras and oil sconces lined the walls even though the place was wired for indirect lighting. A large locked metal cabinet that sometimes served as an altar is at the far end of the room.

Ignis reached inside and pulled out various tools of magic: a sword, a wand, a crystal orb. The other cultists filed into a doorway under the stairs into a laundry room, with a huge supply of plush towels and linen robes. Wicker hampers received their day clothes as they all changed, Jim-Bean included, into their robes.

Ignis stood at the front of the room and the cultists all assembled, Jim-Bean at the center facing their fearless leader.

"We are gathered here, brothers and sisters, to welcome a new member into our family. This man, Jim Baxter, will become one of us today. Let us profess our faith…"

The other cultists joined in, eerily in sync as one voice chanting their mantra. "We are a revival of the Adena that worshiped at the Elberton Mound in ancient times. We pray and make offerings at the mound to keep the evil white-faced people at bay."

Ignis explained that these people, who feared the sun, worshiped Maneto (“The Snake”) and after the hunting in the area soured, the Adena made war on them and forced them from the mounds. When the Adena made war on the strange people, their last shaman “drew down a star” and smashed the earth with it in revenge, killing himself, a Shawnee chief and his wives. At the point of impact, the Shawnee built the Elberton Mound to prevent their spirit from escaping and haunting the Shawnee.

"We await a new star to descend and take us from the Earth to another, more pure, world. We are prepared for conflict with those who attempt to stop us. We will be ready. Repeat after me: I believe you, Danen Ignis, as the reincarnation of the one who constructed the mounds a millennia ago."

Jim-Bean repeated it, a little uneasy.

"By accepting you, my savior, I am imbued with the spirit of the people who helped build the mound."

Jim-Bean repeated it.

"I believe that through worship at the mounds we will call down others' and these others will take us to a new world."

Jim-Bean repeated it.

"Congratulations," said Ignis. "You are now one of us."

The other cultists applauded and hugged Jim-Bean.

Ignis raised his voice over the crowd. "Do you have a gun permit?"

Jim-Bean started in surprise. "What?"

"Every member of the New Star Crusade is issued a gun permit. You must also take a state-run gun safety course. For the coming war."

"Oh, right." Jim-Bean nodded. "I have a gun permit." He looked around. "Do I get to carry one?"

Ignis shook his head. "The guns will be needed in the future. The time will be evident when they shall be issued to the followers."

"Right," said Jim-Bean. "Of course."

The cult filtered out as quickly as they came. Jim-Bean excused himself and visited the bathroom.

He reached into his robe pocket and fished out his cistron – it took some fancy sleight of hand to ensure nobody saw the transition from his normal clothes to the robe. He texted Hammer:

NSC = CRAZY BUT NOT DANGEROUS

After a second he added:

NOT YET.

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 8 – Mister Cab Driver

The Elberton Cab Company was a taxi service located in the downtown area of Elberton. A few questions uncovered that Al Wu was the dispatcher when Ken Stewart was murdered.

Of average height and in his mid-thirties, Wu was a fast-talking Asian man.

"Mister Wu?" asked Hammer. "I'm Agent Grange. This is Sergeant Moreno."

"Yeah?" asked Wu, sizing them up.

"We're here to ask you a few questions about the recent death of Ken Stewart?"

Wu's eyes flicked to Moreno. "I already spoke to the police."

Hammer gave Moreno a look. "Why don't you go get a cup of coffee." It wasn't phrased as a question.

Moreno shrugged. "Fine, whatever." He walked off.

Hammer turned back to Wu. "Sorry about that. We're all very tense because of these murders. Do you mind if I chat with you for a second?"

Wu relaxed a bit. "They told me I was a witness and had to keep quiet," he muttered. "But talking to you should be okay, being a Fed and all. Come into my office."

Hammer and Wu sat at a beat-up card table.

Wu lit his forty-third Camel cigarette of the day. “Yesterday was hot, but so muggy that business was slow. I hadn't heard from Stewart in an hour, since the driver had stopped for dinner. Stewart reported that he had been flagged down on King Street. He said his passenger was going downtown. 'You won't believe who I just picked up,' Steward said, hinting that it was someone that was missing for a long time.”

"But he didn't say who?"

Wu shook his head. “I couldn't guess either. I rattled off a half-dozen names when Stewart mentioned ‘Dep-’ and then his radio went silent."

"Dep? Is that a name?"

Wu shrugged. "My guess was he was going to say Deputy somebody. And there’s only one Deputy around these parts who went missing years ago, and that’s Deputy Arthur Falstaf.”

"Falstaf," said Hammer, thinking. "That was the sheriff's deputy who picked up Douglas Yale, right?"

"Yeah. Falstaf led the investigation to find the Georgia River Killer – shot him five times in 99 and he still escaped. Falstaf finally caught up with him in 2000 and emptied his revolver into Yale and the guy STILL survived. Then when he was in lock-up, Yale and Falstaf disappeared. Of course, I don’t know that Falstaf actually was in the cab," Wu added quickly, "but the pickup was not far from the where he disappeared. I never told the police this, ‘cause, well, I got no facts. I just have this idea," he shrugged. "We'll probably never know."

Hammer frowned. "I intend to find out. Thank you for your time."

He shook Wu's hand and left.

Moreno joined him on the way out to the car. "So?"

"Wu said that Stewart might have picked up a deputy."

"Deputy…You mean Falstaf?"

"I didn't say that," said Hammer, irritated at having to work with a cop.

"I knew it!" snarled Moreno. "The cult must have really done a number on him. Probably got Falstaf turned around so much he didn't know which way was up. Next thing you know he's helping Yale escape—"

Hammer stopped walking. "Now hold on. I didn't say that it was Falstaf for sure. We don't have any evidence."

"We could get evidence!" exclaimed Moreno. "I guarantee you we could get a search warrant! The courts have been itching to let us have a crack at that cult…"

Hammer stared Moreno down. "Do you remember Waco?"

"Yes, but—"

"Then I suggest you do as your told and leave the investigation to me." He stomped off to his rental car, leaving the police sergeant to stew in the street behind him.

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 9 – Raid!

Hammer put his recently purchased camping and surveillance equipment to good use. They had managed to set up a camouflaged bivouac near the pond. It was a perfect spot for surveillance of the farmhouse. It was perfect…

Except for the mosquitoes.

Archive slapped his neck. "These mosquitoes are driving me crazy," he whispered. At night, the bugs were even worse than during the day. Concealed as they were so close to the farm, they had to go without electrical lights.

Hammer lowered his night optics. "We'll be here for just another day or so. What have you discovered so far?"

"During the day only lone individuals are wander the grounds," said Archive. "At night, groups of followers walk back and forth between the main house and barn. Guards walk the perimeter at all times of the day and night."

"Armed?"

Archive shook his head. "Nope, but they do carry a flare gun. My guess is they fire that off as a warning."

"Good." Hammer handed the night optics back to Archive. " Jim-Bean's not convinced that the cult has anything to do with these murders and I'm starting to believe—"

There was a splash of light, like lightning, in the distance. Jim-Bean and Archive looked up.

It was the flickering incandescence of a flare.

"Oh crap," said Archive.

The farm immediately mobilized. Guards ran to and fro frantically. Rifles and pistols were handed out.

"Do you see anything?" asked Hammer.

Archive peered through the binoculars. "I don't…wait a minute. Yes, there!" He handed the nightvision binoculars back to Hammer.

"Cops. Son of a BITCH," snarled Hammer. Six police officers stepped out of the corn field. One of them dragged something heavy behind him.

Hammer tapped some keys on his cistron. "Get me Sergeant Moreno!" he practically shouted into the phone.

A second later Moreno answered.

"What the hell are you doing? I thought I told you no raids!"

"Calm down. What are you talking about?"

"The raid! I'm stationed at the Star Crusade farm and there are police crawling all over the place…"

"I didn't order anything!" Moreno shouted a few questions and received a response back. "Nobody here did. All my men are here."

Hammer's mouth fell open as the lead officer stepped into view of the cult's floodlights. It was Moreno.

Hammer dropped the phone and unslung the semiautomatic rifle over his shoulder.

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Part 10 – Snakes in the Grass

Jim-Bean ran to and fro, trying to calm the cultists down.

"Everyone, everyone, this isn't necessary! We don't know what they want! Everyone calm down!"

Ignis agreed with him. "We must not fire first!" he shouted repeatedly. "I will speak with them! Be calm!"

The jittery cultists, who were unaccustomed to armed conflict despite their training, took their positions. The six officers stood calmly in the clearing in front of the farmhouse.

Ignis checked his pistol and made sure it was loaded. Then he approached with six similarly armed men. Jim-Bean watched from a distance.

"Hello!" Ignis squinted in the glare of the spotlights. "Sergeant Moreno, is that you? What brings you to our farm?"

Moreno said nothing. He just slowly turned his head to stare directly at Ignis. Then he lifted the bulk in one hand and dropped it.

It was the guard at the gate.

"What…" Ignis swallowed, horrified. "What did you do to him?"

Moreno was stone-faced. As one, all six of the police officers pointed at the six cultists.

Ignis' arm was up, his pistol drawn.

"Wait!" shouted Jim-Bean, "don't shoot!"

But the envoy of six cultists had all drawn their pistols. They pointed it at their own foreheads.

In perfect synchronization, they fired at once, blowing a hole in their skulls. Six bodies slumped to the ground, dead.

All hell broke loose. The cultists fired on the officers. The officers seemed to yawn, ejecting a snake head that tore loose from the confines of the flabby, false skins they wore. And it was then that Jim-Bean finally saw what was sleeping in the Mound.

Without a disguise in place, they were squat pale creatures, approximately five feet tall. They stood upright like men, but with long, muscular arms tipped by crude hands with basic prehensile thumbs. Their skin was the texture of a tire, shot through with white splotches, but otherwise it was a bright red. Their faces had two huge vulpine eyes and a slit for a nose.

"Shoot!" shouted Jim-Bean, running back to the farmhouse. "Keep shooting!"

Bullets didn't seem to slow them down. One serpent person launched itself at a cultist right behind Jim-Bean, engulfing his head with a snap of its unhinged jaw. More cultists went down as the snake-people tore into them.

Archive chanted something on the comm. "They're immune to my magic!" was his frustrated response a moment later.

"Just shoot them!" shouted Hammer, running into the clearing. He unleashed a fusillade of bullets into one of the serpent men, blowing its head off. Ichor spewed everywhere. "They bleed!"

Some of the cultists panicked and ran into the house or out into the field.

"Keep firing!" said Jim-Bean. The serpent people were taking them out one by one, but if they stood together…

One of the serpents burst into flames. Archive shouted in triumph.

"Guess they're not that immune to magic either," said Hammer. "Drive them…"

His voice trailed off. The false Moreno was swaying, its eyes glowing, staring at Hammer. Slowly, he lowered his own rifle and moved it to under his chin.

"Hammer!" shouted Archive. "Snap out of it!"

The serpent Moreno slithered closer, just within striking distance. Hammer stood perfectly still. It reared back its head…

And then Hammer thrust the barrel of the rifle into its open maw and fired. Snake brains blasted out of the back of the enormous maw.

The remaining serpents were dead, riddled with bullets. Police cars flashed in the distance.

talien

Community Supporter
Future/Perfect: Conclusion

"Jimmy…" began Hammer. But Jim-Bean already knew what to do.

"Set them on fire!" ordered Jim-Bean.

The cultists set up a huge bonfire and tossed the oddly fluid, red-scaled bodies into the flames. Of the nearly seventy cultists that were engaged in the conflict, only twenty or so remained.

"There's still the cultist bodies," said Hammer.

Jim-Bean nodded. "Set it all on fire!"

The real Moreno and his men arrived, but by then the evidence was already burning. Fire trucks roared in the distance.

"What exactly happened here?" asked Moreno angrily.

"Civil war in the cult," said Jim-Bean. "Two different sides got into a conflict, it spread, then a fire started."

Moreno bit his lip, frustrated. "That's very convenient. You know what I think?"

Hammer looked at him. "I didn't ask."

"Yeah? Well I'm gonna tell you. I think that this was a lot more like Waco then you let on."

Hammer smirked. "You have no idea."

"No, I don't," said Moreno. "And it's probably better if it stays that way. Does this mean the killings will stop?"

Hammer nodded. "Definitely. You were right, Sergeant Moreno. It was the cult all along. Ignis and the people responsible are dead. The cult took care of its own."

"Why doesn't that make me feel better?" Moreno sighed. "If I look through those bones…"

"We'll be sure to share the evidence with you once my men go over it," said Hammer authoritatively. The thrum of helicopters in the darkness echoed across the farmland.

Moreno turned to the assembled rag-tag band of cult survivors. "I don't suppose we're going to get much out of you folks either, huh?"

They looked at him sullenly.

"Didn't think so. Can I at least speak to your leader? Your second in command, or third, or whoever passes for authority around here?"

As one, the cultists pointed. At Jim-Bean.

Jim-Bean smiled sheepishly. "I have some experience with cults…"

talien

Community Supporter
Chapter 43: Operation Bravo - Introduction

This story hour is a combination of “Future/Perfect” Part One by Dennis Detwiller and “Team Bravo: The First Assignment” by Eric Cagle. You can read more about Delta Green at [ ADDR.com: Account On - Hold ]. Please note: This story hour contains spoilers!

Our cast of characters includes:

• Game Master: Michael Tresca
  • Kurtis "Hammer" Grange (Fast Hero/Gunslinger) played by George Webster
  • Jim “Jim-Bean” Baxter (Charismatic Hero) played by Jeremy Ortiz (Jeremy Robert Ortiz)
There's a certain theme running through these two scenarios that made them go together perfectly. Like the other Future/Perfect scenarios, there's plenty of information on investigation but not on actual confrontation.

Because Archive's player wasn't playing, that really raised the stakes. As George put it, "if one of us goes down it's all over." That heightened the tension and also made the critters that much more deadly – Archive's presence ensures fast healing. Without it, a conflict that goes against the agents is deadly indeed.

This scenario ended up focusing more on the sheriff and deputy who led the investigation. Fortunately, Jim-Bean and Hammer make a good buddy team, so there was plenty of opportunity for role-playing with the locals.

I was surprised by what freaked out the players. Who thought mysterious clicking noises would be so scary?

Defining Moment: Jim-Bean uses his psychic powers to find out who the culprit is…and gets an earful of very disturbing sounds.

Relevant Media
  • Future Perfect: Source of the Part Two scenario.
  • Team Bravo: The First Assignment: Source of the second part of this story hour.
  • [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013CPOTG?ie=UTF8&tag=michaeltresca&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0013CPOTG]Jurassic Park[/ame]: by Weird Al.

Remove ads