• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Modifying the "X charges per day" items from the MIC

Nezkrul

First Post
I'm creating some antagonists for my PC's to fight (specifically making avatars of the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse), and I am looking for some help for their equipment.

I'd like to modify a Gauntlet of Infinite Blades (base price 6,500gp)

What it does is as often as the wielder wants (free action) it creates a normal dagger in their hand that disappears after 3 rounds. The charges can be spent (swift action) to create more powerful daggers (+3, +3 seeking, and +3 bane (choice) seeking)

I would like to change it so that it creates +3 daggers all the time (as per normal daggers that disappear after 3 rounds), and that the charges can be spent on +5, +5 seeking, and +5 seeking bane (choice) respectively.

How much would such a "Greater Gauntlet of Infinite Blades" cost? I'm at a loss as to how they figured out the price in the first place.

Also, looking to modify some of the other ones (like Healing Belt and Belt of Battle)

Sekhmet

First Post
Oh, that is a fun item.
Using the same mechanic (5 charges, 1 charge charge for +5, 3 for +5/seeking, 5 for +5/seeking/bane), we know at least two things.
For pricing purposes, you've bought at least a +3 dagger. That's 18,000 off the bat, and the Magic Item Creation Guidelines don't have anything to compare it to.
After that, you ballpark it.

What I'd do (for no particular reason, just makes sense to me) is take the pricing for a +5 Seeking Bane weapon (96,000), and divide that buy 5 (as if it had 1 charge/day) (19,200), and add that to the cost of a +3 dagger (37,200).
I'd round it down to 37,000, and call it a day.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm understanding that you are the DM?

Recrafting the item to be a better version of the item, as @Sekhmet has done a good job of offering a guide, is a matter of increasing the monetary cost, spells contributed and time of creating the item.

if you are the DM, you can simply handwave this by stating that someone, at some time, made a more sophisticated version of the MIC item. By spending more money and time.

Usually the details of exactly how much money and how much time are things that players need to sweat over.

Cool idea though, enjoy!

Last edited:

Nezkrul

First Post
thanks for the help, i was thinking along the same lines of charging at least a +3 dagger price + more for using the best dagger but yah 1 charge a day would divide it by 5... I'll try it and see if it is too strong. I'll round it up to an even 40k because having a free action +3 dagger even after throwing it is more useful than just 1 +3 dagger.

Empirate

First Post
I'll round it up to an even 40k because having a free action +3 dagger even after throwing it is more useful than just 1 +3 dagger.

This is exactly the reason I'd make this item much more expensive. It's a throwing weapon user's wet dream come true. You're in effect selling not one +3 dagger (with additional powers/day), but as many +3 daggers as you can throw in a full attack (with additional powers/day). Find a healthy average (like maybe 2.5 attacks?), that can function as a baseline for pricing "infinite" +3 daggers/round, and go from there. I'm arriving at around 54,000 gp, which sounds better than 40k to me.

EDIT: Or, just base the price off of a +3 Eager Returning Dagger, making the final tally 91,000 gp...

Sekhmet

First Post
Isn't there a super cheap weapon property that returns the weapon to your hand for multiple throws per round?
I know Returning is terrible, but i could have sworn I saw a better version of it somewhere.

Nezkrul

First Post
Yes, there is, I just found it, its called Instant Recall, though I think it is a homebrew one. Maybe it is Teleporting?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads