• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mods shutting down threads for threadcrapping

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
That knife cuts both ways.

If one sees a thread about what some people consider racism, coming in to just deny the problem exists is not a productive way to engage in the topic either. And, to be perfectly honest, you'd need to make a pretty amazing argument to support the idea that folks don't generally know this will turn out badly.

What do you call a person who comes in, and engages in behavior they know will be disruptive but not constructive?
Where did I say or imply that racism doesn't exist or isn't a problem?

I genuinely had no ideas that offering a real solution would be considered thread crapping. I figured some people would disagree, or wouldn't think it was effective, but accusing me (in a passive aggressive ) way of being a troll is a bit reactionary.

As a general thought, I think that people using (+) threads more often would be helpful.

I've noticed a trend lately where (+) threads seem to get less posts than other threads. I think some people are afraid that if they are too argumentative in a (+) thread, they'll get in trouble. IMNSHO, the only way to change that ideology is for (+) threads to become more normalized.
+threads are great for pooling minds creatively for mechanics or fluff.
I suppose they could be used for topics such as these, but I don't know. I wouldn't want to make too many things a +thread. I enjoyed the sparring in the Arneson thread as I learnt things I didn't know about the history of D&D from both sides.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
When such collaborations are derailed and shut down, that can't actually happen.

With all due respect, the thread in question wasn't a collaboration organizing response to the issue. It was about the content of the issue.

We haven't seen anyone post, saying,

"Okay, folks, it is time for everyone to make a twitter account, a facebook account, an instagram account, and a tiktok account. Here are the relevant WotC handles and e-mail addresses to send to. Thursday morning, between 9 and 12 AM PDT, we will be messaging WotC about this issue via all these channels. Here's a draft of the message you can send. We intend to this once a week until such time as WotC at least speaks to the issue. Please tell your friends to join with us..."

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As a general thought, I think that people using (+) threads more often would be helpful.

I've noticed a trend lately where (+) threads seem to get less posts than other threads. I think some people are afraid that if they are too argumentative in a (+) thread, they'll get in trouble. IMNSHO, the only way to change that ideology is for (+) threads to become more normalized.
I think if you have a deliberate purpose and are approaching a particularly incendiary topic, + threads can be helpful. Though they tend to limit conversation in ways that I don't think would benefit the community overall for them to become regular and or popular.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
With all due respect, the thread in question wasn't a collaboration organizing response to the issue. It was about the content of the issue.

We haven't seen anyone post, saying,

"Okay, folks, it is time for everyone to make a twitter account, a facebook account, an instagram account, and a tiktok account. Here are the relevant WotC handles and e-mail addresses to send to. Thursday morning, between 9 and 12 AM PDT, we will be messaging WotC about this issue via all these channels. Here's a draft of the message you can send. We intend to this once a week until such time as WotC at least speaks to the issue. Please tell your friends to join with us..."
A fair point, and one that clears up my concerns. Thank you

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I understand the frustration. These topics never get to blossom beyond breaking news and opinions phase. Might have to let the topic open up organically, and later start a new convo on specifics later.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This what gets me, and why I started this thread, because I know you and the other mods are entirely sympathetic to this point. My question then becomes why shuttering threads has become the answer to deliberately disruptive behavior?
I think the answer to that one is mainly a practical/logistics one -- the alternative is babysitting the thread, which is incredibly intensive and time-consuming (and upsetting). I close a thread earlier because it was generating a deluge of thread reports, and I simply wasn't available to monitor it. It was a choice between closing it or just ignoring it and letting it do what it does, and I feel I chose the lesser evil.

Maybe the answer is more moderators. But moderators do burn out pretty quickly.

Remove ads