• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Module/AP suggestions?

Snapdragyn

Explorer
I'm about to dip my toe into the DMing waters - 3rd time's the charm?

I'm hoping to find an adventure module or AP (3.5 or Pathfinder) which can easily be refluffed (& to some extent recrunched) to fit the details of the game world I have planned. The main essentials [w/ thoughts on desired characteristics in a module]:

- 3.5 or Pathfinder

- an Ice Age world. [Anything that doesn't depend on hot climates or jungles for story could probably be retooled for this, though.]

- society fairly 'Dark Ages'. The great wonders of the past age are distant memories, & finding relics from that culture is a path to fortune... or death. [Magepunk out. High fantasy magic out.]

- low- to medium-magic: probably using some version of spell points/vitality coast, lots of banned types of magic (any sort of teleport, any sort of summoning, probably any sort of polymorph or at least very restricted). [See last point.]

- melee classes have some degree of access to Tome of Battle maneuvers (w/ same restrictions as magic, i.e. no teleport, etc.). [Probably easy to add, just may need to bump encounters up a bit.]

- no other planes exist (although it's at least possible that the races of the world may believe that they do). [Planar travel out. Fluff relating to other planes at least flexible enough to be retooled.]

So far I've heard of the Slumbering Tsar Saga - the feel of the Desolation is spot on, but there would be a LOT of retooling needed to remove the extraplanar references (& I've only reviews to go on, haven't seen the module itself to have any idea just how difficult that might be). Anyone have other suggestions?

What levels are you looking for? And how far does the AP have to go?

You could probably work Hollow's Last Hope into what you need. It's a first level pathfinder module that's free.

Hm, I was going to try to recommend War of the Burning Sky, which has armies and a winter theme, and a main villain whose schtick is hunting down wizards (which means there aren't many left), and teleportation magic is on the fritz (anyone who teleports burns to death).

But then I remembered the first 4 adventures have:

1. A dragon and various wyverns working for an army that attacks a city (you don't fight them; it's background, so you could just reflavor the army).

2. A cursed forest that is perpetually on fire, which you flee through to avoid inquisitors.

3. A city that is targeted by a magically-conjured hurricane. Admittedly it's a one-off occurrence, and the spell is not performed lightly.

4. . . . This one's actually fairly low-key, magically, aside from a telepathic shapeshifting monster that has infiltrated a king's court.

meomwt

First Post
I ran the following recently, it might work for your party.

DCC 28 Into the Wilds - fairly low level magic, can easily be converted to icy theme

DCC 57 Wyvern Mountain - 4E, but conversion notes by me for 3.5E can be found on the Goodman Forums here. There is plenty of ice and cold on this one!

Then - assuming the party is sufficiently powerful, and I made sure mine were - Red Hand of Doom. I'm sure that the locations can be relatively easily converted to icy rather than temperate, and the final villain can be a resurrected Dragon Queen, rather than <ahem> who the module says she is. The adventure includes lots of travel which doesn't assume teleportation. The climactic battle to defend a city may need a little re-tooling (it could be similar to a Viking stronghold, for example) but I'm sure that the fluff can be re-worked. The designers also have lots of useful staging, role-playing and combat tips in side-bars, which I found very helpful.

Remove ads