(Mongoose) Slaine RPG - again

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Hi guys,

I apologise for the double post between this and another forum, but I have a feeling some people on this one may be interested :)

One of the great things about working for Mongoose Publishing is that every now and again, a really cool present lands on your desk. Today, Slaine, the Roleplaying Game of Celtic Heroes arrived. Written by staff writer Ian Sturrock, this has to be the nicest looking book to have come out of the Mongoose stable so far - it really is a treat! Full colour throughout, it is jam-packed full of artwork from some of 2000AD's best artists.

After an extremely comprehensive introduction that will place even newcomers straight into the heart of Tir Nan Og, the Land of the Young, the rulebook launches straight into the Characters available. Players have a choice of three races - humans, dwarves (and these are not the axe-weilding, beard-sporting guys you may be used to!) and Warped Ones, a fierce sub-race of humans for whom Earth Power runs pure in their veins. For classes, you have the option of Driuds (very different from the guys in D&D!), Noble Warriors, Thieves, Tribal Warriors, and Witches. Not content with just giving us a new range of classes and races, Ian also covers Enech (honour and reputation), Sarhaed (the honour-price of a man's life, a personal favourite of mine) and Geases & Weirds, curses and obligations placed on characters at a very early age.

In many ways, the Slaine comic strip was just made for feats and Ian does not disappoint us - feats such as Blood Eagle, Celtic Wife Strike, Craft Wicker Man, Salmon Leap, Shield Growl, Spear Foot and many more are all highly evocative of both the comic strip and Celtic myth.

At first glance, the Goods and Weapons chapter seems to be a regular treatment of the items characters can purchase, but a closer read shows Ian has introduced many new ideas to the d20 System. While gold pieces exist, they are not the usual currency for trade and a lot of barter goes on in the Land of the Young. So, cumals (I'll let you dig up that reference for yourself!), iron bars, cows, pigs and chicken are all legal currency! Weapons are not the dependable steel versions found in D&D - instead, flint and iron weapons are dominant, and a warrior will have to take care of his weapons if he expects them to take care of him. Personally, I don't think you can go far wrong with a Flint Great-Axe, if you can afford it. . .

Combat in the Slaine RPG follows the normal d20 System rules, but a few nice touches have been added to the combat chapter to better reflect the comic strip and Celtic history. Weapons may be named and so grant benefits in battle, and the power of taunting an enemy is very real in Tir Nan Og. Warp-Spasms, insane battle rages that can bend and twist a warrior's body, are given a great deal of attention. They can be frightening to say the least! The chapter winds up with a detailed look at the use of Chariots in battle, as well as various upgrades and modifications that can be made to these vehicles.

The engimatically titled Eyes Without Life, Sundered Heads and Piles of Carcasses chapter (which currently holds the record for longest title in a Mongoose book) is an adaption of the Open Mass COmbat System, specially tweaked and enhanced for the Slaine RPG. Large battles have a way of occuring in the Land of the Young and a Warped One in full spasm is easily capable of killing dozens of enemy warriors in combat - and not think it too many. . .

Earth Power covers the magic system in Slaine, and it is very different from that found in other d20 System games. Earth Power itself must be drawn from sacred sites, sacrifices, dolmens and will come to a warrior in the midst of great battles. Through the channelling of Earth Power, certain characters will be able to curse their enemies, lay a glamour upon them, enact divinations, summon creatures from
the El Worlds and harness the forces of nature. Spells such as Crom Cruach's Revenge, Danu Chant, Divination by Entrails, Skyclad Blessing and Torment of the Slain will bring the full force of Earth Power to your campaigns. Nearly 70 spells, the likes of which you will never have seen, are included in the rulebook.

A Guide to Slaine's World is accompanied by a very attractive map and will give both players and Games Masters all sorts of background information on Tir Nan Og and the locations characters will explore. Tribal culture and Law is looked at in great depth, as well as social customs and the influence battle and combat has on tribal society. Each of the major tribes in the Slaine comic strip are featured, including those of the Drune Lords. . .

The next chapter, Adventures in the Land of the Young, allows characters to travel great distances by foot, horse, wagon - and sky chariot. Powered by great Weirdstones, these flying ships are commonly seen above the lands of the Drune Lords and have led to their own form of piracy. Diseases, healing and how to become a Cenn, Warlord or King are all given coverage, along with some brand new prestige classes that will further develop a charactert and lead him to become a true Celtic Hero - included are the Bard, Battle-Smiter, Charioteer, Fool (actually quite a good class!), Red Branch Warrior, and War-Witch.

Moving on (it is a big book!), Gods and Goddesses of Tir Nan Og introduces religion and beliefs into the game, along with the all powerful deities who often take direct intervention into the lives of mortals. The Bestiary brings to life all manner of creatures seen in both the Slaine comic strip and Celtic legend, including such favourites as the Hairy OneSabre-Tooth, Animated Trees, Dragons, Fomorians, Slough and the dreaded Shoggey Beast. The rulebook winds up with a look on how to run campaigns in Tir Nan Og, a timeline of the land's history, a glossary, character names and, very necessary for me, a Celtic pronunciation guide. Tir Nan Og is actually pronounced Cheer Nan Oge :)

If you are a fan of the 2000AD comic strip or are a devotee of Celtic myth & legend, this has to be the book for you. It is jam-packed full of little details that all serve to make this an extremely comprehensive game.

And if a foul-mouthed Dwarf starts giving you trouble - tell him to Kiss Your Axe!

Wolfen Priest

First Post
WOW! It sounds truly awesome. Being a big fan of the Original Slaine series, I'm sure I will be picking this one up.

Quick question: who did the art for this? Did Bisley do any of it? :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Tsyr said:
Never even heard of the original comic and I want this :eek:

Tsyr you have go to go out and get some copies of 2000AD - its the same comic that brought us Judge Dread so read it and enjoy

Me I'm going to get Slaine just so I can have rules for using pigs and chickens as currency!

Now Mongoose_Matt when are we going to see the Rogue Trooper RPG?

and stats for the ABC Warriors

Last edited:

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
Tonguez said:

Tsyr you have go to go out and get some copies of 2000AD - its the same comic that brought us Judge Dread so read it and enjoy

May be a good time to point out that, even if you are in the US, you can subscribe to 2000AD via the our web site (http://www.20000adrpg.com). We don't make any money out of that, just a service we provide :)

Tonguez said:

Me I'm going to get Slaine just so I can have rules for using pigs and chickens as currency!

You know, it is odd - as soon as I saw those bartering rules in the original draft, I knew it was going to be a winner :)

Tonguez said:

Now Mongoose_Matt when are we going to see the Rogue Trooper RPG?

Oddly enough, we were talking about that this evening. How would you feel about a 256 page hardback, split between Rogue Trooper and Strontium Dogs?

Skywalker

Adventurer
Very cool. Some minor questions:

1. Are there stats for the various characters of Slaine?

2. Have you has done anything about armour and defence? I just always remember Slaine walking around half naked.

Mongoose_Matt

Adventurer
Publisher
1. The characters will be appearing in various sourcebooks and campaigns (space is always a pressing issue for 2000AD rulebooks!).

2. We have indeed - there are rules for going into battle Skyclad!

Skywalker

Adventurer
Couldn't have asked for better answers. I personally don't like to see heaps of stats of NPCs in rulebooks.

Consider me sold :)

Remove ads