• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Abilitys and Prestige Classes

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
Greetings.

Since my beloved GM has kind of a reputation for very difficult (nah, let's say almost impossible) encounters, especially in our "moral flexible" campaign where the players (like most more adult nerds that we are) do nea want to be heros or supervillains but just above average wrongdoers withous any respect to partybalancing (to be honest we actually have 3 evil clerics, 1 hell of a fighter and a crossbreed between bard and acrane archer) i am troubled with a serious concern:
to make a long storry short, we are all going to die!!!
and the question of my concern is what to play next? :confused:
I try sheepseyes with a Monk who want to become a fist-of-zuoken one fine day.
Now there is a block that reads: "monk abilitys" from where i may quote:
... his class levels do not aply to other monk abilitys such as flurry of blows...

what does that mean exactly?
a) is the "flurry" cut short from this point on, meaning i do not advance here further. (i.e. 6 lvl monk, 3 lvl foz: bab 6 ; flurry 3/3)
b) does it advance the way it is (bab 6; flurry 5/5 [bab-1 like in lvl 6])
c) does it mean the line goes on but i just wont get the greater flurry ablility (bab 6; flurry 6/6/1)
d) any mixture or something completely differnt.

happy for any support
regards
sue :] :]

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Welcome to ENworld, Sue - happy posting!

The monk doesn't get greater flurry or any of the other improvements to flurry, but the flurry ability that he does have works with his current BAB as he goes up in levels.

Thus an 11th level Monk would have an extra attack at full BAB and no penalty on any of his attacks for flurrying.
+8/+8/+8/+3 I think.

A 6th level Monk/5th fist of Zuoken would have the same unarmed damage but he would only have the flurry benefits of a 6th level monk (-1 on attacks). He'd have less BAB because of his prestige levels too.
+6/+6/+2 I think.

Cheers

Patlin

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
A 6th level Monk/5th fist of Zuoken would have the same unarmed damage but he would only have the flurry benefits of a 6th level monk (-1 on attacks). He'd have less BAB because of his prestige levels too.
+6/+6/+2 I think.

Note that only part of this difference is from the Flurry, the Fist is getting a -1 on all attacks due to the flurry, a penalty which the straight monk lost at level 9. The fist also has a BAB one lower. Personally, with my Fist (see the Zerthilore link below) I've taken 2 levels of Ranger, so my BAB works out the same. (I'm going for a Connor Hawke martial arts & archery thing...)

So: Calculate your BAB, then apply the flurry modifiers. You get better as your BAB goes up, but you'll need more monk levels to get rid of the penalties.

JimAde

First Post
<hijack>
So is the Tattooed Monk from Complete Warrior handled the same? It doesn't explicitly say anything about the Flurry ability. It says the levels stack for unarmed damage, but doesn't mention flurry either way.
</hijack>
:)

Sue Bloodbucket

First Post
thx

wow,
that was a quick help!
thank you.

(i guess my gm read this tread but i don't know if it will make my life easier or as nasty as it could get anyways)

regards
sue

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads