• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monk - Archer

ZickZak

Explorer
I am creating lvl 10 character. I have messed with Eldritch Knight, Warlock, Ranger... None of those really fit. I recently tried monk and it looks cool, but it is only melee, so I tried to adjust it. I play Zen Archer in Pathfinder and actually whenever I can.

We wont level, ever. We always start at a certain level and dont level & we ve been playing like this 15 years, so that is why it s only set till lvl 7, because the rest is an Assassin (lvl 3).

Is this balanced in any way at all? Thanks

Removed: Martial Arts, Ki Abilities, Monk Features lvl 3 & 6, Stunning Strike, Ki-Empowered Strikes
Added: Natural Explorer, Archery style (+2 hit), Hunter Feature 3 (Horde Breaker), Spells (3 lvl 1, 1 lvl 2 - cost Ki)

The thing with spells is essentially replaced Way of Shadows 4 spells of 2nd level that are set with 4 spells I will chose myself. (Absorb Elements, Shield, Disguise Self, Pass without Trace, Misty Step, Suggestion)

1st Unarmored Defense, Natural Explorer
2nd Unarmored Movement, Archery
3rd Ranger Feature (Extra 1d8), Deflect Missiles
4th ASI, Slow Fall
5th EA
6th Spells, Longbow damage increased to d10
7th Evasion, Stillness of Mind

Last edited:

Green1

First Post
Instead of overly homebrewing, try Monk 5/ Fighter 5 first level as Fighter for the HP. House rule that because of your order, bows are a monk weapon if the DM is down just for flavor.

Of course, I am probably overlooking stuff but:

With Fighter 5, you get Fighting Style : Archery with a +2 bonus to attack rolls which gives you a lot versus other ranged attackers. You get a small heal with Second Wind. You get an EXTRA action like another series of attacks after each short or long rest. You go with Champion martial archetype just for simplicity and 19-20 crit fishing.

For Monk 5, you get the awesome (if you have the stats) unarmored defense (WIS mod to AC as well as DEX), Martial Arts package which means you don't need STR as much, can go hand to hand in severe cases, and can go all musketeer and use a bonus action to smack someone near with an unarmed strike to finish someone off your arrows didn't if you have movement to walk up to them which, with monk movement probably do. Actually - Flurry of Blows, make that 2 AND perhaps a stun with Stunning Blow. Imagine that with Action Surge! You can deflect incoming arrows back, so are resistant to ranged wars. And, you can get out in a HURRY while scouting with Step of the Wind. IF they even see you, because you are a NINJA! Way of shadow monk you get darkness, pass w/o trace, and silence for pesky casters ready to roll!

If you want to get really experimental, a level or so of that Mystic Unearthed Arcana article at WotC may seem cool. Psionics and monk stuff have had a history together.

First Post
I'm actually okay with Hombrewing this if you're never going to level. However, I'm not okay with you getting access to some of the best spells in the game. The shadow monk get's what it gets because it's stealthy. It doesn't turn into a tank that can +5 AC/Resist Elemental Damage/Turn an enemy to your side. I'm okay with Disguise Self, Pass without Trace, Darkness, Silence, Silent Image if you're looking for infiltration spells. If you want protection using Shield/Absorb Elements, you have to give up something else (Only wizards and sorcerers get those and you aren't sacrificing any stats into INT or CHA).

Additionally, longbows getting a damage bump like that feels weird and out of place. Maybe strike a balance between the Colossus Slayer and damage die boost. Make longbows deal 3d4 at 3rd level. It makes your damage about the same at 5th level but a bit lower at 3rd. It can be called Consistent Shot or something since it will always deal somewhere from 5-9 damage unlike the usual 1-8 spread. This packages the damage boost in one go instead of two.

ZickZak

Explorer
I'm actually okay with Hombrewing this if you're never going to level. However, I'm not okay with you getting access to some of the best spells in the game. The shadow monk get's what it gets because it's stealthy. It doesn't turn into a tank that can +5 AC/Resist Elemental Damage/Turn an enemy to your side. I'm okay with Disguise Self, Pass without Trace, Darkness, Silence, Silent Image if you're looking for infiltration spells. If you want protection using Shield/Absorb Elements, you have to give up something else.
I wasnt sure which of those spells but honestly I wanted to limit it to like Abjuration / Enhchantment schools only. Simillar to EK.
I have Evasion anyway so the absorb elements isnt that useful. The shield though, you are probably right.

Remove ads