• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Movement

Istar

First Post
Outside of an at-will attack mode.

Say a move and then a charge.

A move outside of battle.

Can the monk use the movement option that is in his at-wills.

ie. the movements that may be shift 2 or move speed +2.

Neverfate

First Post
Snipped from the Compendium. Sourced from PHB3.

Separate Actions: Each of the techniques in a full discipline power requires a separate action to use. The action types are specified in the power’s description. A creature can use the techniques in whatever order it likes during a round, and it can use one of the techniques and not the other during a particular round.
The number of times a creature can use a technique during a round is determined by the power’s type (at-will or encounter) and by the actions the creature has available in that round
There is also a restriction to one full discipline per round, unless you use an action point. The explanation is much more robust from the book or the builder. I suggest reading through it (unless you have neither access to PHB3 or Compendium, in which case ask a friend).

Like most powers you can likely use it in non-combat situations (much like a Cunning Rogue could use Cover or Concealment instead of Superior Cover/Total Concealment to determine stealth). Determining a round outside of combat, and how often you could switch between outside of combat is entirely at a DM's discretion.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Yes he can, however he can't mix movement techniques.

For instance he could Dancing Cobra to move 8, then charge. Or use Dancing Cobra twice to move 16. However he can't then use Fallen Needle as a minor to move 3 more, unless he spends an action point.

Outside of combat, I would allow a monk to simply use Dancing Cobra to always move 8. I'm not sure if there are any explicit rules about it. I've had my Warlord use Knight's Move outside of combat, to give someone else a move. I don't see why not.

Azlith

First Post
A move outside of battle.

Can the monk use the movement option that is in his at-wills.

ie. the movements that may be shift 2 or move speed +2.

Knights can keep their at-will stances and aura up at all times; I don't see why a monk couldn't use a movement technique of an at-will full discipline all the time outside of combat.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Knights can keep their at-will stances and aura up at all times;

Actually, I don't think that is explicitly stated anywhere in the rules... if it is, please point it out, as I've played games where they need to restart their stances every combat.

That said, some of the Scout/Hunter stances are obviously intended to work outside of combat... one of them gives a bonus to iniative, for example, which would have no effect at all after combat starts.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Actually, I don't think that is explicitly stated anywhere in the rules... if it is, please point it out, as I've played games where they need to restart their stances every combat.
From the online Compendium:

Duration: A stance lasts until the character assumes another stance or until the character falls unconscious or dies. A stance also ends at the end of the encounter, unless the stance can be assumed at will.

Remove ads