• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Preview

beverson

First Post
Just kind of thinking out loud here, but having read the design and dev article I didn't get "Ki is dead and gone", but rather "the Monk is no longer Ki"...perhaps there will still be a Ki power source after all? (just my interpretation of the article)

Amadeus Windfall

First Post
Just kind of thinking out loud here, but having read the design and dev article I didn't get "Ki is dead and gone", but rather "the Monk is no longer Ki"...perhaps there will still be a Ki power source after all? (just my interpretation of the article)

The Design and Development article said:
the ki power source proved untenable

Combining that with that they've decided the most ki-ish thing in D&D won't use that power source, and nor will other things that might be lumped in there like samurai, it seems pretty safe to say ki is dead.

FireLance

Legend
I think it may be intentional. At 21st level, a monk's flurry of blows effectively becomes a close burst 1 that deals auto-damage, and by that point, the auto-damage is probably equivalent or better than the extra average damage of an additional d6 or d8. I do think that there is an oversight in the power though, since it has the Implement keyword but doesn't deal Wis Modifier + Implement damage.
I'd say flurry of blows is actually the equivalent of the extra damage abilities that most other strikers have. The actual extra damage dealt improves more slowly than a rogue's sneak attack or a ranger's quarry, but the number of targets it can affect increases by tier.

Mad Mac

First Post
Broadly speaking, what do the monk at-wills do?

Dancing Cobra Does normal damage, plus extra if the enemy makes an OA on you this turn. Move component=speed+2.

Dragons Tail Lower damage, knocks prone. Move component=swap places with adjacent ally or prone enemy.

Cranes Wing Normal damage plus push. Move Component=jump check with +5 bonus and no limit on distance.

Five Storms close burst 1, lower damage, move component=shift 2 squares.

All the at-wills look really solid, which makes Human monks pretty tempting.

RefinedBean

First Post
Y'know, this Full Discipline thing, I LIKE it, I really do...but it's a simple enough mechanic that it could work for every class. It would've made everyone's at-wills a lot cooler.

jonshaft

First Post
What if the monk's implement was a focus item like prayer beads or a talisman of some kind? Wouldn't this simplify the monk's unarmed enchantment issue as well as allowing for bonus magic item fun to be applied? It could allow for increased unarmed strike capability without having to dust the monk's knuckles with residium which can make for difficulty at the dinner table.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Y'know, this Full Discipline thing, I LIKE it, I really do...but it's a simple enough mechanic that it could work for every class. It would've made everyone's at-wills a lot cooler.
I like the fact that different classes have different mechanics. It helps add contrast among the classes, especially for those who think that the power framework has made all classes look the same.

I also agree with those who like the increased complexity of these later, more exotic classes.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Broadly speaking, what do the monk at-wills do?

They are two powers rolled into one.

They have a standard action attack and a special move action. When you use a monk at-will you can use one, the other, or both actions in the same turn. You can't mix-and-match any powers that are tagged "full discipline" in the same turn without an action point (no using five storms to shift, then crane's wings to push). However, you can combine a full discipline and a normal power (melee basic attack + shift from five storms, or dragon's tail knock prone + normally shifting 1 square).

Remove ads