• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monk Preview

I find it amusing that we were all speculating that the Monk would be psionic back in the start of 4e until the PHB came out and disproved it. But now they've reversed that decision.

FireLance

Legend
Instinctively I prefer the idea of some form of object, though I have no suggestions as to what.. But it strikes me as a little fiddly having to go through rituals to make the treasure applicable to a character every time.
Well, martial arts exponents in the source literature are always chasing after manuals that describe secret techniques and skills, so perhaps it could be a book or scroll of some kind? In a way, this also ties in neatly with the 4e idea of ritual scrolls which anyone can use to cast a ritual. However, instead of a generic enchant item ritual, it applies a specific weapon enchantment to a monk's unarmed strike. Ideally, of course, a monk would never lose any of these enhancements, and can switch between them either as a minor action (the same as any other weapon user) or during a minor rest (spent practicing the katas of the new technique/enhancement he wants to adopt).

Mentat55

First Post
Can anyone identify the race of the monk in the front, on the first page of the playtest article? The one to the right and back is clearly a female githzerai. Is the lead one supposed to be an earthsoul genasi, or a funny looking deva?

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
This development by WotC brings back the 1st Edition nostalgia for me!

My friend's favorite PC back then was a Psionic Monk from the pages of Dragon Magazine. It seemed like a good fit then and continues to now.

As for having a psionic character without a primary mental stat I think to another one of my favorite RPGs. Shadowrun had Physical Adepts which were very similar in concept. They used magic to become better warriors.

The only things that I agree need to be clarified are the Transfer Enchantment Ritual (although that will be available in my games no matter WotC's response) and more importantly whether implement enhancement bonuses add to the Flurry of Blows damage.

Flobby

Explorer
The manuscripts!

They should have secret manuscripts for monk magic items! (I don't think there is a Kung Fu movie that doesn't have them). If the monk has a manuscript with a secret technique (magic item power) it gives a magic bonus to their unarmed attack.

Note: I haven't seen the actually playtest as I don't have a subscription...

Cadfan

First Post
I disagree; Flurry of Blows has both the "Implement, Psionic" keywords. That means it adds implement bonuses. Very straightforward.
No, that only applies to damage rolls. This isn't a roll, so it doesn't apply. PHB pg 55, 225, 275, 276, etc. Enhancement bonuses apply to damage rolls, not to all assignments of damage.

The PHB says this by just saying "damage rolls" every time it talks about adding enhancement to damage, but I believe that WotC has further clarified for those who don't find this sufficiently convincing.

rowport

First Post
No, that only applies to damage rolls. This isn't a roll, so it doesn't apply. PHB pg 55, 225, 275, 276, etc. Enhancement bonuses apply to damage rolls, not to all assignments of damage.

The PHB says this by just saying "damage rolls" every time it talks about adding enhancement to damage, but I believe that WotC has further clarified for those who don't find this sufficiently convincing.

D'OH! I am convinced. And, now being convinced, I also agree with the several folks here who are skeptical about why the Monk striker damage adder does not scale with level. :D (I thought it was just expecting the increase of enchantment bonuses.)

Remove ads