D&D 5E Monk/Rogue/Warlock Build questions

G

Guest 6801328

Sounds like you are committed to Warlock levels, but something to consider:
1) When you use Darkness + Witch Sight your companions won't be able to attack your target. That combo is talked about a lot on these forums, but how does it actually play?
2) It's a big investment (Charisma, two levels, potentially an ASI) just to get this ability.
3) The spell slots you get will be forever stuck at level 1, and without really investing in Charisma will have anemic attack/saves.
4) How long before your triple-classing pays off? How many levels of "yeah but some day this is gonna be great!" do you have to slog through?

Consider just going Monk 6 / Rogue X. Shadow stepping with Sneak Attack will be awesome. Or run in, Sneak Attack, and Bampf safely away.

At level 14 the Rogue gets Blindsense, which isn't as great as Blindsight but at least gives you an advantage (small 'a') in Darkness.

Alternatively, Monk 12 / Rogue 8 gets you 1d8 damage on all attacks, 4d6 Sneak Attack, 4 ASIs, Invisibility for an Action, immunity to Poison, the ability to break out of Paralyzation/Charm, and infallible climbing/water walking.

Either way you also get Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Slow Fall, and Deflect Missiles.

What's not to love?

RaynorReynolds

First Post
Sounds like you are committed to Warlock levels, but something to consider:
1) When you use Darkness + Witch Sight your companions won't be able to attack your target. That combo is talked about a lot on these forums, but how does it actually play?
2) It's a big investment (Charisma, two levels, potentially an ASI) just to get this ability.
3) The spell slots you get will be forever stuck at level 1, and without really investing in Charisma will have anemic attack/saves.
4) How long before your triple-classing pays off? How many levels of "yeah but some day this is gonna be great!" do you have to slog through?

Consider just going Monk 6 / Rogue X. Shadow stepping with Sneak Attack will be awesome. Or run in, Sneak Attack, and Bampf safely away.

At level 14 the Rogue gets Blindsense, which isn't as great as Blindsight but at least gives you an advantage (small 'a') in Darkness.

Alternatively, Monk 12 / Rogue 8 gets you 1d8 damage on all attacks, 4d6 Sneak Attack, 4 ASIs, Invisibility for an Action, immunity to Poison, the ability to break out of Paralyzation/Charm, and infallible climbing/water walking.

Either way you also get Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Slow Fall, and Deflect Missiles.

What's not to love?

Thanks for the reply! Here are my thoughts on your comments:

1. I get your point here, but I honestly think I would use that combo more out of combat than in combat. Spending an action to cast darkness, then a bonus action to teleport, all during combat is a bit of a waste.
2. My Charisma is already high enough to multi-class so there is no going back on that. I would like to have 4 ASIs, but I would settle for 3.
3. Spell slots would be used for Hex and/or Darkness mainly. I wouldn't be using it to cast spells attacking or directly affecting enemies.
4. It is already paying off. I am already making 3 attacks per turn for 2d6+1d4+3 damage per attack (not including Sneak Attack).

I am a human, so I can't see in the dark, magical or otherwise...

I would be sticking with Monk 6 (maybe Monk 8) as the other classes bring more to the build than a few more monk levels would. I hope my reasoning makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions!

Colder

Explorer
I am a human, so I can't see in the dark, magical or otherwise...

As a Shadow Monk you can cast Darkvision for 2 ki (which happens to be the amount of ki you lose by taking two levels in Warlock). The spell lasts 8 hours, so it basically lasts the whole day even though you get the resources back on a short rest.

Remove ads