• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monks, disarming and spring attack.

Jack Simth

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
That is craziness unfortunately, because you can't use a rod of quicken with sorcerer spells. :)
There is a way around that, to a degree - the feat Arcane Preparation, from Tome & Blood (probably also Complete Arcane, but that's not one I have access to) permits a spontaneous caster, such as a Sorceror, to prepare spells - for one of those spells, metamagicing it takes no additional time, and so the spell's casting time is unaffected by the time increasing effect of the Rod, and it will work just fine.

But I doubt that was the route his character took....

daBooj

First Post
mvincent said:
As a two-handed weapon, a quarterstaff would probably work better than a sai.

would being two-handed beat the +4 given by the sai? (don't know, asking as I run a monk in the good campaign I'm playing in)

SRD said:
Sai: With a sai, you get a +4 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an enemy (including the roll to avoid being disarmed if such an attempt fails).

The sai is a special monk weapon. This designation gives a monk wielding a sai special options.

Infiniti2000

First Post
daBooj said:
would being two-handed beat the +4 given by the sai? (don't know, asking as I run a monk in the good campaign I'm playing in)
Yes. The reason is that a sai is a light weapon and so gets a -4 penalty. The +4 offsets the penalty, giving a net +0. The staff is merely a two-handed weapon with no special disarming bonus (as the sai has) and therefore gets a net +4.

In either case, however, it means that you lose that really cool idea of disarming someone and putting their weapon immediately into your glove of storing. A really fun side point to this is that even if the party defeats the monk, they will have to negotiate with him or at least identify the glove to be able to release the weapon. This might provide some interesting RP to the end of an exceptional combat. :)

daBooj

First Post
SRD said:
The wielder of a two-handed weapon on a disarm attempt gets a +4 bonus on this roll

sorry, that's the part I was missing, understood the -4/+4 to the sai, didn't get the +4 to the staff till I looked up the disarming rules.
thanks

RigaMortus2

First Post
Or you could just use Stunning Fist and have him drop the weapon he is holding when you stun him. Then either next round he goes to pick it up, and provokes, in which case you just Stun him again. Or if he chooses not to pick it up, you can pick it up (and provoke) and run away with it.

Infiniti2000

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Or you could just use Stunning Fist and have him drop the weapon he is holding when you stun him. Then either next round he goes to pick it up, and provokes, in which case you just Stun him again. Or if he chooses not to pick it up, you can pick it up (and provoke) and run away with it.
Well, if you haven't taken the full round action yet (you stunned him on your first attack and you aren't flurrying) and you have a move action remaining, you can stun him and pick up the weapon without provoking an AoO*. Similarly goal, I suppose, but you can't take the full attack. With the other method you can continue with a full attack, including a stun. :)

* I've seen this argued ad nauseum. For Heironeous's sake, don't get into it. :)

Enamel_32

First Post
I have witnessed a friend of mine take a boss' weapon, run away with it, and break it. It saved our party.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads