Monster Builder (the non-online one) gets a patch!

avin

First Post
No doubt. Heck, I'm in the mid-West and I had to last-minute book a motel room outside a small town for a funeral and I had good wi-fi.

Mid-west of USA... in Brazil, hotel wifis are usually the worst piece of crap you can imagine.

Wifi on a plane? Here? I lold :)

Merlin the Tuna

First Post
No doubt. Heck, I'm in the mid-West and I had to last-minute book a motel room outside a small town for a funeral and I had good wi-fi.
Just be glad it wasn't Sunday, when Comcast's DNS servers exploded (again), knocking out their service across large swaths of the Midwest. That interrupted the online video games I was in the middle of, but luckily I was able to entertain myself by building up a new experiment in the offline character builder.

There's a moral to the story in there somewhere. :)

Now I'm as annoyed as the next guy at some of the stuff WotC has done, but really, the minor bugs in Monster Builder are just that -- minor bugs. It's still a great program.

I will be sad when they go to an online-only version, though. There are plenty of times I can't or don't want to be online, yet I want to work on D&D.

Aegeri

First Post
Now I'm as annoyed as the next guy at some of the stuff WotC has done, but really, the minor bugs in Monster Builder are just that -- minor bugs. It's still a great program
Depending on the complexity of the monster you are building, those "minor" bugs can rapidly become massive issues that can drive you plain bonkers *very* quickly. I can't tell you how many times I had to edit the Dracolich and Purple Worm I posted some time back before I got one that wasn't riddled with errors. Some of them immensely basic that made me look like I was completely incompetent at proof reading. But the MB just randomly eats things and seems to get worse the more complicated a creature is.

It has got to the point I don't use the MB anymore, it's actually faster to write things down.

That's when it is in trouble.

Mapache

Explorer
Now I'm as annoyed as the next guy at some of the stuff WotC has done, but really, the minor bugs in Monster Builder are just that -- minor bugs. It's still a great program.

You call repeatedly losing half the information you entered about a monster a "minor" bug? That's a completely broken, release-blocking, rollback-worthy bug that prevents you from actually using the damn program for its intended purpose. It was once a great program, back when it worked. Now it's a broken piece of crap that's less useful than a plain old text editor, which I can trust to not delete my last few minute's worth of work all the time and to not drop half the text when I copy and paste between monsters.

Tazawa

Adventurer

I was a never a great program. Before the August update that brought the MM3 monsters and all of the bugs, it was an OK program. It was slow and a resource hog but it did what it was supposed to do (eventually). Now it makes great monsters, as long as they have speed 6, and no resistances, vulnerabilities, or triggered actions... and it's still a resource hog.

It's very frustrating to use. If WotC isn't going to fix the bugs I'll either go back to building monsters myself or finding someway to install the pre-August update version.

I have the suspicion that one of the reasons WotC offered the update is that the online version has run into delays. If the online version uses the same engine as the offline version, it will have the same bugs. As well, if the online version has the same memory leak, WotC's servers will quickly run into load issues.

the Jester

Legend
Now I'm as annoyed as the next guy at some of the stuff WotC has done, but really, the minor bugs in Monster Builder are just that -- minor bugs.

If by "minor bugs" you mean the digital equivalent of spilling a few thumbprint-sized splashes of ink across a page, sure.

The MB reassigns numbers, drops part of the description of powers and generally doesn't let you actually design and print a monster reliably.

To each their own, but it never felt like a finished product to me.

Remove ads