Monster Creation 101

Krishnath

First Post
Blacksway: Ah, advancement rules, try advancing a rabbit until it is huge, then see what It's AC is... :D But, actually, the giant rabbit analogy is a joke, partly based in MTG (Several monsters in the game has been based of rabbits: Kezzerdrix (A big mean flesheating rabbit), Vizzerdrix (Kezzerdrix BIGGER Cousin, but less agressive), and Jackalope (A cross between a jackrabbit and an antelope). of these the Kezzerdrix is a personal favourite, Killer Rabbit ROCK! :D) The game is filled with hidden jokes, might explain the designers facination with squirrels...

Knight: To bad for the kobold. But, that still doesn't stop me from giving them class levels.

Any Creature Creation questions? The doctor is in :D

Edit: Damn, forgot the color closer.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
Krishnath said:
Wolf: No, fortunatly it does not confer to the Commoner class, it appears that the designers of the book (MM) simply made it a basic humanoid with half a HD. Why on earth they did such a thing is beyond me. But fortunatly for the little buggers, I have never used kobolds without character classes. (Usually Fighters or Sorcerers, but I once used a Kobold Cleric to great effect. :D)

Anything else? The doctor is in da house :D

right then ...

if someone could right up a kobold commoner (ala MM) I'd be real happy :) ... if not, I'll get to it sometime after monday.

ej

the Jester

Legend
Okay, I've asked this before but nobody seems to have an official answer on this one...

If you give a kobold more levels, do you halve the HD of those too? I've always run them without halving the HD (beyond the first) but it seems weird...

Maybe I should email the Sage.

Knight Otu

First Post
the Jester said:
Okay, I've asked this before but nobody seems to have an official answer on this one...
The official answer follows, although from a non-official person, but in any case from an official source. ;)

If you give a kobold more levels, do you halve the HD of those too?
No. Unless a creature specifically mentions this, nothing about it changes the way classes work for it. The same way that you do not double HDs for Gnolls, you do not halve HDs for kobolds.

I've always run them without halving the HD (beyond the first) but it seems weird...
You do it almost correct. No halving of Hit Dice. BUT!... a kobold that advances in class levels drops his half racial HD. See the beginning of the MM and the Characters chapter of the DMG.

Maybe I should email the Sage.
I would be very surprised to see a different answer. ;)

Krishnath

First Post
Wolf: Why bother? If you want a kobold commoner, just use the entry in the MM. But I would like to mention, that as far as I am concerned, the entry in the MM is in error, and the Kobold should have a whole 1d8 instead of a half.

Jester: I agree with Knight on this one.

Anything else? The doctor is in.

Remove ads