Monster Creation 101

Knight Otu

First Post
It's rather easy to forget about that, and in some cases it doesn't really make much sense. :)

And I know why I primarily post here on ENWorld. ;)

Wolf72

Explorer
Krishnath said:
hmm... good point...I forgot about that.

This is why the CC boards are so great, if this had been discussed over at WotC's boards, a flame war would have erupted a long time ago.

Later,

wolf tries to flame Krish *uses flamethrower on him* ... whaddya mean trigger? why can't I just throw it at him? ;)

poor kobold, has anyone checked to see if they fit the commoner class?

Krishnath

First Post
Blacksway: Huh? What does that have to do with creature design?

Wolf72: Hmm... very funny...

Now can we please get back on topic? If there is anyone with serious monster design questions, please post them here.

Later,

Krishnath

First Post
Knight: hmmm... that is a tough one, but I would say that any large reptile with intelligence could classify as a dragon (Not counting awakened Dire Snakes as the like.) Also, if it looks like a dragon (four legs, long sinous body, a pair of wings and one head) no matter if it is intelligent or not it should be a dragon, but it's pretty much a case of taste...

Of course if it was me who was the designer, I would have made the Tarrasque and the hydra dragons ;)

But in short, if it is a large lizard with a breath weapon it should be a dragon.

Krishnath

First Post
Wolf: No, fortunatly it does not confer to the Commoner class, it appears that the designers of the book (MM) simply made it a basic humanoid with half a HD. Why on earth they did such a thing is beyond me. But fortunatly for the little buggers, I have never used kobolds without character classes. (Usually Fighters or Sorcerers, but I once used a Kobold Cleric to great effect. :D)

Anything else? The doctor is in da house :D

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
Krishnath said:
Blacksway: Huh? What does that have to do with creature design?
I was referring to your sub-title for the section on armour class. If you cared to expand on this?

I have split the guide up, following mostly the sections described by Krishnath. I'm not feeling very confident about the last on, on ability scores, so if anyone wanted to contribute they are more than welcome.

Remove ads