Monster Creation 101

Krishnath

First Post
Blacksway: Me thinks someone was trying to ridicule your site, either that, or it was someone with a severe case of munchkinitis :p

Geocorona

First Post
Krishnath said:
Geocorona: Got any questions? (related to creature creation :D)

Yes. About the entelodont I submitted: Is something between the size of a Clydesdale horse and an Asian elephant considered Large or Huge?

Krishnath

First Post
Geocorona: Better go with huge, to be safe. Since elephants are on the upper end of huge, and clydesdale horses are on the upper end of large. Hope I could help :D

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
Something of about 16ft in body length would fit exactly inbetween so really its up to you on that one. If its nearer a horse then large, nearer an elephant then huge.

Geocorona

First Post
Thanks. That'll do for now. It's actually kind of a simple beast, so I think everything else is kosher. It's ferocious and prehistoric, so I made it a beast and not an animal. I'm going to say it's the bottom end of huge and leave it at that.

Last edited:

KL

First Post
I have seen some of the wacky creations on the site like Mars and recently, some things by this Anime Freak....

Can you just delete them or you just have to leave them up there?

Geocorona

First Post
Another question:

When writing out skill point plusses for monster descriptionss, do the figures include the corresponding ability modifiers, or just the distribution of skill points given for INT, racial bonuses and HD level?

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
KL wrote:
Can you just delete them or you just have to leave them up there?

I can just delete them, but I prefer to try and be as unobjective as possible. In the past I've only ever removed ones persons creations, but there are some new ones which are looking likely candidates I'm afraid. Generally, if they make little attempt to actually use game rules to create monsters then they don't belong on the site and I feel justified in removing them.

Geocorona wrote:
When writing out skill point plusses for monster descriptionss, do the figures include the corresponding ability modifiers, or just the distribution of skill points given for INT, racial bonuses and HD level?

It should the final rank, including modifiers, racial bonuses etc.

Krishnath

First Post
Geocorona: In addition to what Blacksway said, remember to write down the racial modifiers at the end of the combat section, like this:

Skills: X gets a +4 racial bonus on spot and search checks, and a +8 racial bonus on hide and move silently checks.

see?

Later,

Remove ads