• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Manual 3 art gallery

War Golem

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
So, anyone who has the book, what's the real name of the creature on page 6 that's incorrectly called a Charnal Hound?
It is a necrothane, a champion of the rot reaver species. About twice as powerful as a normal rot reaver, and sporting jet-black full plate armor.

Cheers,

War Golem

Sammael

Adventurer
I love the art. In fact, art may be one of the main reasons why this book (which I previously had little interest in) is suddenly on my must-buy list.

Well, that, and the fact that I haven't bought a monster book for about two years. Not that I'm using the ones I have, but still...

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
BOZ said:
whoever came up with those topiary monsters must have read The Shining. :)

Indeed.

Rich Burlew said:
MaxBrains said:
... topiary guardians?

:) *giggle* :D It would be funny if they weren't there to kill you. Oh, what the heck, it's funny! LOL! :D

Damn straight it's funny! Why does D&D have to be serious all the time?

Honestly, though, played right, they could be very creepy, too. They were inspired by the book The Shining, and like the topiaries there, they move very quietly and stand very, very still...until they attack!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
LOL i thought so. the movie didn't play on that as much as the book did. (or did the original film have topiary animals at all?)

kilamanjaro

First Post
In the original Shining movie the topiary animals were beyond the special effects of the day. They replaced them with a hedge maze.

Psion

Adventurer
They canonized Wayne Reynolds Nycoloth four-arm mistake? :eek: :(

Does the text match that now, or can I blithely ignore the art?

Zuoken

First Post
Very nice, I can see that the 3.5E art has been improving

For some reason, the Omnielemental seems to inspire awe in me when I look at it. Exquisite piece.

The Warforged by Matt Cavotta is awsome as well, better then the pics in the ECS IMO.

Remove ads