Monster Mash #1!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
works for me. ;) so... anyone got a list of Cerberus' special attacks from the ToH handy?

Edit: and for that matter, the fey'ri's charisma score?

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
meanwhile... let's spark some ideas for the creature concept. i see this thing as being somewhat sluggish and slow-moving - not so much for its land speed, but for its dexterity. since it's got a stegocentipede's movement, maybe it's got a long insect-like body like that? it's not a stupid predator though and may be tougher than it looks - and does the intangible thing sound like a good idea or should we bump up the stats? i could easily see it as some sort of tauric creature, or maybe some aberration or outsider with another sort of odd form.

Shade

Monster Junkie
The fey'ri's Charisma is 11. I don't have stats on Cerberus handy.

I like the tauric concept. The summon giants ability would be really cool. Maybe it releases a musk that attracts giants?

This is a great concept, BOZ!

Last edited:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
hey, maybe the strong elven influence (elf, fey'ri, bansee) should add to its appearance as well. :)

Gez

First Post
OK, here are Cerbie's SA: Howl, breath weapon, petrifying gaze.

Howl (Su): All creatures (except dead souls) within a 600 [HD*20 ?] feet spread must succeed at a Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic, mind-affecting effect. Whether or not the save is successful, an affected creature is immune to Cerberus' howl for one day.
Breath Weapon (Su): Center head; line of corrosve poison 5 feet high, 5 feet wide, and 30 feet long, once per 1d4 rounds; damage 4d6 temporary Constitution, Reflex save halves.
Petrifying Gaze (Su): Collective gaze of al three heads; turn to stone permanently, 50 feet, Fortitude save.

About the low Strength score, why not keeping it ? You may explain it by the creature being crippled and physically weak. The MM2 provides average ability table for creating monsters, but I've never seen monsters with under-average scores...

So, let's say it is an aberration. I'll nickname it the Salkleb. It looks like a stegocentipede with three canine heads, and two small, limp, atrophied arms near the base of the necks. The scent and alternate form (canine) abilities from the mountain giant and the hound archon fits well with its three dog heads.

Although a salkleb is weak and clumsy, its innumerable legs allow it to stride quickly, most notably out of inertia once it has reached momentum. Throughout its wasted body, thousands of sore wounds exude pus and noxious chemical fumes that are similar in effects to a Yellow Musk Creeper's musk puff.

When a creature is helpless or unresisting and in the salkleb's threatened space, it may hold the creature's head with its limp, wiry arms and attack the victim's intelligence, eventually turning it into a faithful zombie. Zombies created this way are like yellow musk zombies, but are of the aberration type and don't have plant traits.

For attack, a salkleb relies on its howl, gaze, breath weapon, summoned giants, and faithful zombies, rather than its meager arms and puny weapons.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
actually, i don't have any problem with keeping the Str of 10. ;) just wanted to see what the consensus is... it's probably not that much of a brawler if it's not that strong - it's powers make up for that. ;) also, i'm thinking that this creature might not want to attack with physical weapons like the ones listed... have a better idea?

and if it's not incorporeal, should i switch the deflection bonus to a natural armor bonus? even still, it'll have a pretty weak AC.

so, of the following, do we want to keep everything? or just some of it? or alter any of it to make more sense with the creature? for example, summon giants could be switched to summon something else, alternate form doesn't have to be limited to a canine form, and it doesn't have to create plant-zombies so much as just any other sort of mindless servitor creatures. it also doesn't have to have dog heads, or any sort of canine aspect to it (although if it did, the canine alternate form would make more sense).

SA:
Howl, breath weapon, petrifying gaze;
Consume intelligence, musk puff

SQ:
Damage reduction 10/+1, SR (16), (celestial qualities - reversed?), scent, alternate form;
Darkvision 60 ft, rock catching, summon giants

opinions? :)

Edit: actually, gez did cover a lot of that in his post... anyone have opinions on that post and this one?

Last edited:

I think we should keep everything, except give it a summon archon or devil ability to summon 1 hound archon or 1d4 lemures, once per day, with a 75% chance of success (devilish due to cerberus, and it's part hound archon) to replace summon giants.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
so with all of these powers, would we want to make this an outsider? or just an aberration? i could see monstrous humanoid maybe, but we'd probably have to tone down the powers for sure.

Remove ads