Monster Mash: Atanatotatos vs. nerdytenor

nerdytenor

First Post
OOC: I'm not sure about the vulnerability either way, although I lean in the direction of having it apply (conveniently enough :)). On PHB P.277 it says by way of example "If you have vulnerable 5 fire, then any time you take fire damage, you take an additional 5 fire damage." I'm going to see if I can find clarification anywhere.

Oh, and the spider moves one square east.

nerdytenor

First Post
OOC: Ah, now I get it. You're referring to the monster power description. Yes, it really isn't clear at all, is it? Let's leave it with the 5 ongoing, no bonus for vulnerability interpretation.

- nt

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:I suppose the OA missed?

The goblin targets again the Beholder with his curse, but again the monster resists it. As the spellcaster mumbles profanities, he readjusts the myst's position again. Arch!! Let'em hear ya sing!!

[size=-2]minor: sustain cloud and move it 2 squares E;standard:Blinding hex22 vs For[/size]

Troll and Unicorn delay

The Destrachan reacts immediately and gets closer to the Beholder. It seems to keep its breath for a moment, then it releases a huge thundering burst that shakes the Worg and its companion, deafening them.

[size=-2]move to:W-V-47-48;standard:bellowing blast, close blast 5, vs Beholder and Worg: 26 and 24 vs For, 15 dmg and DAZE(save ends), finally![/size]

The Troll grins seeing the Beholder struck and his sword slashes it fiercely.

[size=-2]standard:greatsword 31 vs AC, 7 dmg and Beholder is marked.[/size]

The Unicorn's hooves hits the ground, and a moment later his horn is piercing the Worg's side. The fire is not burning the horse anymore.

[size=-2]charge (2 squares East)vs Worg:22 vs AC, 16 dmg, push 1 square East and knock prone. save made.[/size]

The spider, again, circles around the huge wolf to attack it from the flank and bites at it again, its fangs sink deep and the poison hurts the worg some more.

[size=-2]death from above, shift to AC-49, 27 vs AC, 16 dmg, knock prone, and slow and ongoing poison 5(save ends)[/size]

covaithe

Explorer
Round 3, continued

The goblin misses, but moves its nasty cloud.

The destrachan moves closer and blasts both foes with a wave of sound, dazing them. (ooc: both hits)

The troll, unicorn, and spider hit as well. The worg is knocked prone. (ooc: Troll does not regenerate this round. Unicorn takes 5 fire.)

Initiative

Beholder 172/204, dazed (save ends), marked by troll
Goblin 86/86
Destrachan 92/92
Troll 55/70
Unicorn 26/85, bloodied
Spider 60/95
Worg 55/120 bloodied, 5 ongoing poison damage and slowed (save ends both), dazed (save ends), prone <== You're up

Active zones:
  • all enemies within 5 of the beholder at the start of their turns are subject to a random eye ray attack.
  • all allies within 2 of the unicorn gain +2 to defenses
  • vexing cloud: all enemies in the cloud take -2 to attacks; allies in the cloud gain concealment.
  • within 3 of the Worg, enemies take -1 to attacks; allies get +1 to attacks.

Resources used:
  • spider: Prodigious leap
  • goblin hexer: vexing cloud
  • destrachan: bellowing blast

[sblock=map]
AtaNerdytenor006.png

[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=ooc]dazed creatures cannot take opportunity actions or immediate actions; however, I noticed that the beholder's aura description has no action type listed. Does that mean that the eye of flame gets to make one attack per opponent's turn despite being dazed or event stunned?[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
ooc: Mmm, that's a tough question. The eye rays don't appear to be actions in any normal sense; they're clearly ranged but don't provoke, and the beholder gets to use them at other weird times (the start of each enemy's turn). I'd think they can for dazed, certainly. Clearly there are conditions where the beholder wouldn't be able to use the eye rays; unconscious and petrified, if nothing else. Stunned and dominated are less clear. I think I'll rule no eye rays with stunned. With dominated... other auras are not affected by domination (e.g. if you dominate a bearded devil, you still take damage standing next to it), so I think the eye rays still apply, and don't "switch teams", as it were. Of course, if you dominate a creature, you can have it switch off its aura as a minor action on its turn.

nerdytenor

First Post
Bob the Worg rolls around on the ground in pain. Snarling, it attacks the spider from the ground.

"Bob! Noooo!!" Bill the Beholder cries out in frustration, and turns his eyes to face the unicorn and the troll. Flames burst forth as the Beholder roars.

OOC: I think Covaithe's ruling is a fair one on dazed.
ATTACKS BELOW DO NOT INCLUDE PENALTIES FROM STATUS MESS
Worg takes 5 poison damage.
Worg hits spider AC 24 for 15 damage (includes prone penalty). If hit, spider takes 5 ongoing (save ends).
Worg saves against both conditions.

Beholder uses fire ray on unicorn and troll (includes +1 from worg)
** INSERT OPPORTUNITY ATTACKS HERE *
Hits Troll ref 25 for 10 damage.
CRITS unicorn for 22 damage.
Beholder fails save. DRAT!

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:although the conditions don't stack, I think the poison and slow conditions need two saves since they were inflicted twice.

Good puppies! Go on, mince the dog! grins cruelly the goblin. Then he attempts another blinding curse on the Beholder, and this time the Beholder succumbs to it.

[size=-2]blinding Hex vs Beholder, 32 vs For, 11 dmg and Blind. minor:sustain vexing cloud.[/size]

The Destrachan turn his head in the Worg's direction and unleashes another thunderous soundwave, that shakes it, flesh and bones.

[size=-2]sound pulse on Worg, 27 vs Ref, 17 dmg.[/size]

The Troll laughs, although its frightnening maw isn't a really cheerful swow, and his greatsword descends upon the Beholder again, though the blow doesn't seem on the mark.

[size=-2]Greatsword vs Beholder, 24 vs AC, 8 dmg,and beholder is marked.[/size]

Unicorn delays

The spider hurries away from the Worg, then mauls it again, biting it hard, then gets away and positions itself near the Unicorn.

[size=-2]death from above on Worg, 23 vs AC, 13 dmg, knock prone, and slowed and 5 ongoing poison (save ends both); move (provoking OA) to AD-44[/size]

The severily wounded Unicorn takes a step away from the Beholder, and applies its horn on the Spider's body, relieving it from some of its pain. Then charges furiously again at the Worg, attempting to finish it. Its horn indeed penetrates deep in the wolf's flesh, inflicting a grievous wound.

[size=-2]shift 1 SW; Horn touch on spider, heals 23 hp. charge Worg (2 squares E), CRIT for 27 dmg.(subtract 2 from the roll if relevant) [/size]

Remove ads