• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monster tokens- my DM has a kickstarter

gamemash

Explorer
I am not a laywer, these are the opinions of a layman who, in his opinion, has seen too many kickstarters playing fast and loose with IP.Sigh...

A five headed dragon is one thing. A five headed dragon with heads very similar in design to the WOTC Dragons, arranged in the same order as WOTC's Tiamat, looking like a specific piece of art and with the red body WOTC's Tiamat has officially adopted is another thing.

That statement further adds to my concerns. The Bullywug. It got published by WOTC in the 3e Monsters of Fearun book, so it didn't get swept into the open gaming arena in the Tome of Horrors book. This is why Paizo calls one of their 'manphibians' the Boggard. BTW "Manphibian", also being used by somebody.

:erm: You are welcome, but 5 is an issue that should been noticed before launch!

You should probably run each monster name you use through google just to see how generic it is. I've never seen anyone but D&D use the name "Helmed Horror". The Drakes you have listed are the exact names of specific wotc monsters, though verb-drake itself might be considered generic if they don't happen to LOOK like one of wotc's versions.

I have never seen the image you posted until now. That uses a fairly different set of dragon heads than the actual D&D Tiamat. Do you know where its from? Is it fan art found on Steam?

Also, thanks for the info on the Bullywug. I have never actually seen it listed as Product Identity by Wizards but at least one other person seems to think it is so we'll change it back to our original name: Frogman.

Does anything else not pass muster in your opinion?

Scorpio616

First Post
I have never seen the image you posted until now. That uses a fairly different set of dragon heads than the actual D&D Tiamat. Do you know where its from? Is it fan art found on Steam?
It's official art, I've seen it on wotc's site and I'm pretty sure it was drawn by Wayne England.

Also, thanks for the info on the Bullywug. I have never actually seen it listed as Product Identity by Wizards but at least one other person seems to think it is so we'll change it back to our original name: Frogman.
Product Identity was a term for books involved with the SRD, OGL or related stuff. Most commonly product identity that was called out as such were the supposedly classic D&D monsters* that were in the MM and had been in the prototype 3.0 SRD. Monsters of Fearun and most other 3Era WOTC books were never involved with that. Those books are covered by copyright laws.

*One amusing way Pathfinder got around the PI issue on the Displacer beast was by using the Coeurl, the critter that inspired the displacer beast. The author hasn't been dead that long, so they contacted the "Ashley Grayson Literary Agency, which represents the Van Vogt Estate,"

guachi

Hero
I backed it. And I think for 30-40 cents a token that it's a good value to fill out monsters or as a replacement for minis. Monsters die so quickly that I'd rather spend 30 cents for a creature than $3.00 for a creature.

I backed it. And I think for 30-40 cents a token that it's a good value to fill out monsters or as a replacement for minis. Monsters die so quickly that I'd rather spend 30 cents for a creature than $3.00 for a creature.

True, I would imagine the price per token will increase after the kickstarter campaign. But I would expect these tokens will always be a fraction of the cost a figurine.

Nebulous

Legend
What are they made of, glossy plastic? I used to glue pennies to the back of my tokens, gave them some weight. And i just recently somehow lost my big box of prepainted hobgoblins and bugbears i collected for years and i'm very sad :(

Remove ads