• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monster Vault impressions

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Earlier this week, I ordered MV from amazon and received it the next day. $19.49 all inclusive, shipped 'free' to my door, in quicker time than I could have made to schedule a trip to a store that has the product. There are tons of good "reviews" on line, so what follows are my opinions more than "the facts":
  • I like the formatting of the book, with the background text, and then the stat block and token picture.
  • I do not mind the size: 6"x9". It works well for the format and content. It is easy to read, but harder to "reference" (ie lay flat).
  • I am dubious that the book (binding) would hold up under heavy use
  • The included adventure, Cairn of the Winter King is short, straightforward, and relatively well done, if dungeoncrawl-ey.
  • The included Map for Cairn of the Winter King is large, well done, and probably re-usable in a few environments.
  • The tokens are well made and excellent representations of the MV monsters. I am sure someone else counted them, but there have to be roughly 400 of them on the 10 sheets.
So, why do I mention the price up above? Well, most of my opinion is driven from how much this costs, and what it is worth to me. 19 bucks is pretty affordable, as far as hobby material goes. If I break down relative worth of the components in the MV .... I think it is a very good product.

Part of my basis for this is that I lack an extensive mini collection, and I tire of the Ettin playing the role of the Troll so often. For $19, I could get maybe a dozen somewhat random minis from ebay. Or, I could get 400 specific tokens. Naturally, the tokens pale in comparison to a mini, but to me the right token beats the wrong mini any day of the week. And for a nickel a piece, with no hassle of printing, pasting and punching my own, this seems like a 'fair deal' to me for that price.

Throw in the adventure and map, and it gets better. Not everyone is the same, and some may place "no value" on the adventure. As for me, I could easily see myself spending $5 for a straightforward yet competent product that is a well printed short shot adventure with full color map.

Last comes the value of the book itself. I already feel I have gotten fair value for the tokens and adventure/map, so the book itself is icing on the cake. It is very subjective, but I'd say this is a $12-$15 product on it's own. It is well done, and it will get used. I like the selected monsters, as many of my old school favorites are included: Stirge's, Purple Worms, Ghouls, Gnolls, Giants, Golems, Ropers, Rust Monsters and Bulettes.

I recognize that my opinion is likely 180 degrees from the norm. Most would compute the value of the book and note the other items as the "freebies". This is why I wanted to share my impressions on the Vault.

keterys

First Post
I'm with you. If not for the adventure (with a huge poster map - I love that kinda option for when I want to prep less) and tokens, I might not have gotten the product.

And weirdly, because I was ordering it, it prompted me to tack onto my order the things that were just books, so it probably upselled me quite a lot.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
1) The sort-of bad. I'll get the negative out of the way first. I got the impressions from the previews / podcasts that it was mostly going to be new takes on existing monsters rather than straight updates from MM1. For example, the "kobold tunneler" I believe is a new type of kobold. In my, albeit cursory, comparisons I found that there are actually way more straight MM1 ports that were updated than I expected based on this belief. Examples: All the demons and devils, displacer beasts, etc. (ok you can see I mostly made it to the D's).

What, WHAT?? WotC replacing your MMI even as they say they aren't! I can't believe it!

I will resist posting pictures of zuchinis, or yet more ranting on wotc denying doing what it has obviously been doing. Obvious for months now.

I am glad you like it. Will probably get it soon, to replace my sad sad MMI.

Aegeri

First Post
Yeah, I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe it's
Encounter*; Crit on a 15-20; Close blast 3; +32 vs. AC; 5d12 + 14 lightning, crit 3d12 + 74 lightning.
* Or maybe recharge bloodied.

Good for putting some 'Whoa!' out there.

Combine this with soul stealer for ultimate hilarity. Or the ability that functions on critical hits from Demonomicon (in fact isn't there one that lets the demon recharge an encounter power? I will need to look...).

Festivus

First Post
When I saw the topic, I thought of this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZGL3EHHQ6U]YouTube - D&D Monster Man (Comedy Experiment 001)[/ame]

But really, here is what I wish... that you could buy the book without the pogs. I'll admit it's nice for someone who doesn't have 2000 minis at home (plus I own Klaus's works of art for when I travel), but for someone like me, I really just wanted to have the book.

I found it interesting that the adventure that accompanies has monsters that are not found in the monster book itself.

buddhafrog

First Post
Can anyone upload a pic of the Cairn of the Winter King MAP -- or find a link?

I'm debating whether I will buy this, but I love me a good map and this could be the tipping point.

Thanks - XP awaiting.

Aspeon

First Post

buddhafrog

First Post
Can anyone upload a pic of the Cairn of the Winter King MAP -- or find a link?

I'm debating whether I will buy this, but I love me a good map and this could be the tipping point.

Thanks - XP awaiting.

Can I XP myself? I found an image one the Wizards page. This side of the map is almost exactly one of the Evermelt maps - which is one of my favorites. It's a small village that has tons of purposes... but who needs two? Not me. The other side looks like a sort of lame dungeon built from dungeon tiles. Is this correct? Meh, I can just use Dungeon Tiles and have the bonus of not letting the players see the full Dungeon.

Still tempted to buy this, but now hesitant.

Remove ads