Monsters & Backgrounds: New Pathfinder 2 Updates!

Over the weekend, Paizo posted two new Pathfinder 2nd Edition blogs. The first looks at backgrounds, with three examples (Blacksmith, Street Urchin, Pathfinder Hopeful); and the second looks at monsters and the way they are built in the new edition of the game.

Over the weekend, Paizo posted two new Pathfinder 2nd Edition blogs. The first looks at backgrounds, with three examples (Blacksmith, Street Urchin, Pathfinder Hopeful); and the second looks at monsters and the way they are built in the new edition of the game.
20180511-BuildingMonsters.jpg
  • Monsters! The Bestiary has over 250 monsters.
  • New signature abilities to differentiate things like bear owls and tigers. Tiger now has wrestle, bear owls can now gnaw on you and let out a screech. Pack animals do extra damage in groups, and predators get sneak attack etc.
  • DR and energy resistance are now combines into a single resistance which which soaks a certain amount of damage, and weakness now increases damage by a set amount.
  • Level 0 skeleton -- 14 AC, 6 HP, resistance 5 slashing/piercing.
  • Level 0 zombie -- 11 AC, 20 HP, weakness 5 slashing.
  • Monster abilities streamlined, removing redundant or niche stuff that doesn't get used and focusing on iconic abilities. Barbed Devil uses Warden of Erebus to create glyphs of warding.
  • Multiattack -- Marileth's six blades fouled assault on one target does lots of damage, or six creatures for less damage, or attack piece and parry for a big AC bonus.
  • Backgrounds -- two ability boosts, skill feat, lore skill proficiency.
  • Examples are Blacksmith, Street Urchin, Pathfinder Hopeful.
  • Playtest book has 19 backgrounds, playtest adventure has 6 more.
  • Adventures can have backgrounds tailored to them.

dave2008

Legend
From what I recall, in 3.x, an encounter with CR equal to the party level was supposed to use up about a quarter of your resources. A party of four level 10 characters could expect to win four CR 10 encounters per day before they ran out of steam.

OK, I skipped 3e/PF so I wasn't sure. I was just guessing from comments I had heard about NPC monster CR relating to PC levels (i.e. if you made a 20th level NPC wizard it was supposed to be CR 20 - or a least I thought).

That basically adds up to what you said 4x10 lvl for PCs = 40 and 4 x 10 CR monsters (encounters) = 40 as well. The only question I would have is: what does "win" mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
If a ‘level 10’ monster and a ‘level 10’ hero fight, is there roughly a 50-50 chance of either winning?

Personally I would hope not. If it was then the 'hero' would have a 1 in 4 (25%) chance of winning two fights in a row, a 1 in 8 (12.5%) chance of winning three fights in a row and a 1 in 16 (6.25%) chance of winning four fights in a row.

That would be incredibly deadly.

Yaarel

He Mage
Personally I would hope not. If it was then the 'hero' would have a 1 in 4 (25%) chance of winning two fights in a row, a 1 in 8 (12.5%) chance of winning three fights in a row and a 1 in 16 (6.25%) chance of winning four fights in a row.

A 50% survival rate is, of course, highly lethal. But sometimes it is appropriate, maybe a climactic battle.

Normally, the DM would send lower level threats to challenge the team. The beauty is, the DM has a clearer measure for how to calibrate an encounter. It is easier to dial the amount of the challenge.

mellored

Legend

So don't do fight a bunch of people equal to your level.
Fight creatures lower than your level, or have your full group fight a single creature of your level.

But yea... there's no way to say where the balance point is right now.

Though personally, I like the idea of monster level equally matching character level. It makes NPC's with a class easy to match up.

Remove ads

Remove ads