• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Monsters for 5e Basic rules

Nebulous

Legend
Pack Tactics: The hoar fox gains a cumulative +1 bonus to attack rolls, to a maximum of +5, for each friendly creature that is within 5 feet of its target.

Do gnolls pretty much get this same (fearsome) ability too?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
FWIW, at LV 1

• Max HP: 5-14 (avg ~ 10)
  • AC: 9-19 (avg. ~ 14)
  • Attack Bonus: -1 to +5 (avg. ~ +1)
  • Damage: 1d4-1 to 1d12+3 (avg. ~ 6)

Given that, you should be able to arrive at monster stats that accomplish what you want. Like, most monsters should probably have about +3-+5 to hit, and deal about 1d8 damage per hit (2 hits KO most characters) have an AC in the 11-12 range, and HP of about 10-12, too (two hits kill them). Weak critters like gobbos can have 5-6 hp and deal 1d4 damage per hit.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Pack Tactics: The hoar fox gains a cumulative +1 bonus to attack rolls, to a maximum of +5, for each friendly creature that is within 5 feet of its target.

Do gnolls pretty much get this same (fearsome) ability too?

Something does. Gnolls, wolves, etc. I originally saw it somewhere in the playtest docs I think.

If you took the Ogre and Hobgoblin stats, and compared them to the playtest version - could you get a benchmark for how much to tweak the playtest bestiary for balance? Seems to me a rule like "+1 to hit, +1 to AC, +50% HP" would be easy to apply for the nonce.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
If you took the Ogre and Hobgoblin stats, and compared them to the playtest version - could you get a benchmark for how much to tweak the playtest bestiary for balance? Seems to me a rule like "+1 to hit, +1 to AC, +50% HP" would be easy to apply for the nonce.

Probably works. HP definitely got a boost from the play test docs.

caudor

Adventurer

Good idea. I think I'll just run with this one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads