Black Flag Tales of the Valiant Monster Vault Marilith Preview

It's not a spell. Also, I'd prefer the description day the weapons are magical and do magical damage.... So we know if a PC picks it up it's magical. It could be the maralith that makes them magical, so if they aren't inherently magical, that should be clear.

edit: It actually is clearly stated that the Marilith adds the magic/flame to ANY weapon. So that's quite clear. I should have re-read before this post. Now that I'm awake, I think this is well written.....even it's tail is magical as it is a weapon attack. I wonder how many DMs would miss that? Not likely many...
Would be a good world if we just called it a magical weapon attack a spell attack.

Quickleaf

Legend
Bonus action teleport? Yes, 100%.

However, there's an increased abstraction in the mechanics...or at least I'm seeing a distance between fictional concept and mechanical implementation...

For example, the marilith's Tail deals fire damage... but she's not described as being super hot to the touch anywhere in the stats or flavor... and she's not even immune to fire damage. Honestly, it feels like blind application of the Flaming Weapons trait. As a GM, I would have a bit of a mental hiccup before figuring out how to resolve this narratively.

Restricting her reactions to parry is... I see why they chose to do this mechanically (more control over damage output)... but fictionally it contrasts with the expectation that demons are more about pushing the offense... and it has the mechanical side effect of prolonging the battle / disadvantaging melee PCs. I'm not sure either of those are desirable here.

Two of the 3 bonus actions are problematic...

First, Protect Yourself has the same issues – contrasts with perception of demons & prolongs fight by disadvantaging melee PCs.

Second, "March at 1/2 speed & march through rough terrain" (edited for clarity) and "doesn't provoke opportunity" are competing fictional elements – the first brings to mind a gritty slogging march of grim determination, while the second brings to mind an acrobatic slippery or ethereal sort of movement that's much faster. To me this feels like moving in the direction of abstracted 4th edition powers where I constantly struggled with how to describe them in narrative terms.

Last edited:

grimmgoose

Explorer
One of the benefits of the 5E version is that it makes seven attacks: six with its longswords and one with its tail. So as the DM, I can quickly see, 'okay, +9 to hit, 13 damage'. I just repeat that six times. Boring, but easy to remember.

With the ToV version, it has two dagger attacks (9 piercing 7 fire), two mace attacks (11 bludgeoning 7 fire), and two longsword attacks (13 slashing 7 fire). So as a DM, I have three different sets of damage numbers that don't differ all that much. Why? I don't feel like the juice is worth the squeeze. It feels like an unnecessary complication of the statblock. It's also still boring, just now it's harder to remember.

The Bonus Actions are cool, and the extra reactions are nice (assuming you remember that this specific creature has five extra reactions to use, which maybe I'm dumb but I will almost assuredly forget).

I dunno though. I guess I just wish we could go back to 4E-style monsters.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher

However, there's an increased abstraction in the mechanics...or at least I'm seeing a distance between fictional concept and mechanical implementation...

For example, the marilith's Tail deals fire damage... but she's not described as being super hot to the touch anywhere in the stats or flavor... and she's not even immune to fire damage. Honestly, it feels like blind application of the Flaming Weapons trait. As a GM, I would have a bit of a mental hiccup before figuring out how to resolve this narratively.

Restricting her reactions to parry is... I see why they chose to do this mechanically (more control over damage output)... but fictionally it contrasts with the expectation that demons are more about pushing the offense... and it has the mechanical side effect of prolonging the battle / disadvantaging melee PCs. I'm not sure either of those are desirable here.

First, Protect Yourself has the same issues – contrasts with perception of demons & prolongs fight by disadvantaging melee PCs.

Second, "March at 1/2 speed over tough terrain" and "doesn't provoke opportunity" are competing fictional elements – the first brings to mind a gritty slogging march of grim determination, while the second brings to mind an acrobatic slippery or ethereal sort of movement that's much faster. To me this feels like moving in the direction of abstracted 4th edition powers where I constantly struggled with how to describe them in narrative terms.
Those last things are pretty universal for leader types, and this demon is stated to be an exception in that it is a good leader.

mamba

Legend
Second, "March at 1/2 speed over tough terrain" and "doesn't provoke opportunity" are competing fictional elements – the first brings to mind a gritty slogging march of grim determination, while the second brings to mind an acrobatic slippery
they are not walking at half speed, they walk half their movement distance (I know it says speed, but that is just because that is the term, it is not talking about how fast they move) and are not affected by rough terrain

Second, "March at 1/2 speed & march through rough terrain" (edited for clarity) and "doesn't provoke opportunity" are competing fictional elements – the first brings to mind a gritty slogging march of grim determination, while the second brings to mind an acrobatic slippery or ethereal sort of movement that's much faster. To me this feels like moving in the direction of abstracted 4th edition powers where I constantly struggled with how to describe them in narrative terms.
I think your perception of demons shouldnt be portrayed as the default here. Likewise for your definition of pushing offense. To me, parrying everything is a valid method of heightening offense.

Teemu

Hero
Not a fan of the Demonic Resilience trait. It’s easier for the GM if you can quickly check all relevant resistances and immunities at a glance. With Demonic Resilience your eyes first go to the trait, then down to the trait description. Also, it’s a very defensive creature and honestly comes across more like a devil than a demonic spirit of killing incarnate.

I’d love to see the marilith’s damage profile shifted to an offensive parry or counter attack. A reaction to being hit or missed by a melee attack that deals damage to the attacker. High level 5e is so hp bloated that a mostly defensive marilith only exacerbates the issue.

Quickleaf

Legend
I think your perception of demons shouldnt be portrayed as the default here. Likewise for your definition of pushing offense. To me, parrying everything is a valid method of heightening offense.
I'll agree to disagree with you on the first part.

But I am curious about your last sentence. Would you like to elaborate?

Remove ads