• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might II: Bloody, Bold, and Resolute

Jaws

First Post
Available in PDF: http://enworld.rpgnow.com/
A 64-page combat sourcebook for all levels

It’s back -- and more experimental than ever! This book exists because readers loved The Book of Experimental Might and demanded new options for nonspellcasting classes. In response, Monte shares more creative rules from his own campaign. Here you’ll find . . .

• New rules for fighting domains: areas of specialization like Two-Weapon Fighting, Mounted Combat, and Fighting Dirty, as well as techniques based on agility, speed, strength, and intellect. The 15 domains provide new abilities to fighter types willing to devote themselves to a focused path.

• A retooling of the feat system, with three new concepts -- double feats, oblation feats, and uberfeats -- and dozens of new choices.

• Special benefits for choosing a feat as a fighter bonus feat, reinstating the fighter class as the king of feats.

• Optional rules including more combat choices, a method for “boosting” feats for extra benefits, new uses for the Grace/Health system introduced in the first Book of Experimental Might, and more.

Like its predecessor, Book of Experimental Might II keeps your characters adventuring longer, enhances existing classes for greater playability, and expands your game options to add to the fun. Continue the experiment!
Peace and smiles :)

j.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
So far it's a very good read, just like the first one, and that's what I think they're going to be for a while anyway in my games, just good reads! Seriously, the ideas are great, and trying to figure how they'd work in a game is fun. I did adopt very small sections of the first book in my game. Some stuff like a feat every level I find too extreme and from what I gather so far it's that progression that's assumed with this new book, but that remains to be seen. In general, reading them makes you think about running your games and stuff you could try and keep in mnd if a player wanted to try something a little off.

-DM Jeff

DeadlyUematsu said:
Yes. I like the uberfeats. I am really liking the material and it pains me that Monte didn't think of this eight years ago.
What defines an uberfeat? Are they feats that are more powerful than the norm to accomodate more powerful abilities for the fighter? If it's published under the OGL, do you mind posting an example?

Dark Psion

First Post
Ok, What's in it?

First are Fighter Domains, like Schools for Wizards, but oriented for the warrior types. A Fighter gains a domain at 1st, 9th & 17th levels. Other "fighting" classes may choose one domain at the cost of a class ability.

Advantages of a domain, Minor benefit when chosen, Major benefit when you have 8 feats from that domain's list ( remember in BoXM, you get a feat every level, and fighters will get 2 feats every other level). There are a list of feats that are part of that domain and you can Reselect Domain feats as long as you meet it's requirements.

Double feats and Uberfeats: Double feats cost you two feat slots, but are more powerful and Uberfeats are the ultimate expresion of that combat style. They have high prerequisites and require you to retire 4 feats. Yes, you have to set aside 4 feats you know and never use them again to get an Uberfeat.

An example of both, Anchor Foe is a doube feat, with a move action, you keep an enemy trapped in his place unable to move. Deadly Sniper is an Uberfeat, it expandes your Point Blank range, adds +2d6 damage and foes are shaken, even possibly dazed by your shots.

There are three other changes;
Fighter-bonus feats: When you take any of these feats as your bonus feat, you get a secondary boost to the effects at a higher level. For example the bonus from Alertness becomes +4 at 9th level.

Feat Boost: At 3rd level and every odd level thereafter, a fighter get a Feat boost that can be used to gain a little bonus or allow/force a reroll based off that feat. For example, using a feat boost on the Endurance feat allows you to reroll your Constitution check or Fortitude save.

Oblation feats: These are dedication to a deity that allow you a bonus based off damage you have inflicted. For example Oblation to the God of Life: once you have inflicted 100 points damage to Undead creatures thru melee or ranged attacks, you gain a healing boost that can be used in several ways. At 10th level or after you have inflicted 1000 point damage, you gain the ability to hit one undead creature and do +10d6 positive energy damage.

As you might guess, the rest of this book is feats, feats, feats. Some are reworked versions of those we know and others are new feats like Magefighter, Power of the Steed, Torchfighting and Right Bastard (Uberfeat of the Dirty Fighting Domain).

Interesting. The Double-Feat and Uberfeat concept reminds me of a fellow poster (but who was it? Please report immediately! ;) ) that proposed to implement "feat points" and give feats different values. Toughness (3.0 Core style) could be a 1-point feat, while Melee Weapon Mastery could be a 5-point feat.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Interesting. The Double-Feat and Uberfeat concept reminds me of a fellow poster (but who was it? Please report immediately! ;) ) that proposed to implement "feat points" and give feats different values. Toughness (3.0 Core style) could be a 1-point feat, while Melee Weapon Mastery could be a 5-point feat.
Actually, several posters (and more than one PDF) IIRC. That idea's been kicking around since people looked at feats in 3e and thought 'gee, some of those are stronger[/weaker] than the others. . .'

But anyway, this sounds pretty good. And the kind of thing that's necessary really, if someone was going to use the first BoXM. They might make for a neat combination with the CBoEM, perhaps. Partly because that has a decent Bard in it. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads