• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cooks "Ptolus"

Eh.

It might be neat to read, but I think it might be too overwhelming for less experienced DMs, and too detailed for those used to running their own homebrews. And it's a single city. If you are looking to run an all-urban campaign it might be kind of neat, but I suspect the sheer amount of material will make it hard to tweak to fit your plans. If you are looking for a city book to run the occasional city adventure in between dungeon crawls, it will be overkill.

Personally, I tend to like Monte's crunch more than his fluff from a game standpoint. I liked the AU/E fluff to read, but I didn't much care to play in the world. I suspect it will be quite expensive, as well.

But we've got a year to speculate wildly. That in itself is entertaining :p

Peterson

First Post
As much flak as I may get for this post, I gotta make it anyway.

Ptolus is the main reason I started playing D&D, so I'll probably pick this book up - provided it isn't horridly expensive (no doubt it will be over $100 though).

Still, the one thing that itches me fierce - I could've sworn I read, multiple times, Monte himself saying he'd never publish a Ptolus supplement - but, of course, when I do a quick search of his forums, no proof. Must've been in my head. :confused:

Looks like it's time to pull out the Chaostech PDF I bought so long ago....

Peterson Monte Fanboy Laugh it up, furball.

[sblock] Yes, you - ya big freezerburn of a Viking throwback. You know who I'm talking about. I ain't never living this one down.... [/sblock]

No flak. It looks interesting, just not something that I think will appeal to a lot of gamers in a 'I want to run this' sense. I think it it were under $50, a lot of people would pick it up just to mine for ideas, or even just to read. I certainly would. I'm sure it's going to be far outside impulse-buy range though.

Obviously, if you are already a fan of Ptolus, it's gonna be a must buy (even if you do have to do it on a lay-away plan).

GlassJaw

Hero
It looks interesting, just not something that I think will appeal to a lot of gamers in a 'I want to run this' sense.

Whereas the Shackled City hardcover does methinks.

I just read the writeup on Monte's site and while I'm that interested in Ptolus or the high-magic style of Monte's campaign, this caught my eye:

"...and it's a sourcebook on running urban campaigns."

I find that pretty cool. As my next campaign (gritty and low-magic, however) will probably be set in a big city, I've been looking for ideas on how to effectively run such a campaign. The value that I would get out of the book probably isn't worth $50+ but I'm certainly going to follow its development.

Anio

First Post
I'm interested in seeing Monte's take on a fully detailed city, especially when it's taken at least a year of his full time effort to get it to a point where he's happy with it. And we still have another year to wait, so I imagine that there'll be a lot more on the way.

Turanil

First Post
Pozatronic said:
And is anybody else excited about it?
I enjoyed reading the Ptolus adventures on Monte's website, so I will get a look at this book when I have the opportunity. I could even buy it, even if only for the reading (unless it's relatively easy to use with C&C).

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm pretty stoked about this myself. Monte is very passionate about his setting (what DM woudln't be?) and there'll be a lot of love in there. Should be a great product.

Starman

Adventurer
Monte has hinted that this isn't just a massive book detailing Ptolus. He, of course, isn't saying exactly what it is going to be, though.

Starman

Remove ads