• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cooks "Ptolus"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm definitely interested in this. The world design elements that he's hinted at on his Web site match up, almost entirely, with my personal interests. The ONLY thing I don't like about his world is that it's about to go into decline, which is the opposite of my usual preference, but I think everything else comes off so well thought-out, it'll be something I'll greatly enjoy.

And, for the record, there are plenty of us who look at Shackled City and say "I have no interest in running that." Sorry, but cities built inside the caldera of a volcano are vastly more silly to me than a cosmopolitan fantasy setting. (Especially since there were many ancient cosmopolitan cities in our own world, which is why we even have the word.)

Teemu

Hero
I'm feeling a little iffy about it. On the other hand, I like city campaigns, and the book could have lots of great info on running such games, but on the other hand, I'm not too keen on the space cantina aspect.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Monte's long running "Ptolus" campaign, in a book.

640 pages?! How much is this thing going to be? And is anybody else excited about it?

OMG yes! I will get this piece of D&D goodness, for sure! :D

It's an insight into the game of the guys who built D&D. It is a great opportunity to have a great city based campaign. It will be FILLED with factions, houses, sects, buildings... stuff one can use in different contexts. It is designed, written and played for years by Monte (which is good enough for me, because I trust the guy on his creations more than anyone out there at the moment).

I didn't see great city books for ages. Sharn and Waterdeep don't suck (actually Sharn is pretty good) but could have been much better than they are. I remember with great fondness Havena (Schwarze Auge), Pavis (for RuneQuest/Glorantha) and Laelith (from Casus Belli).

I was a bit sceptic it would be awesome to have a Ptolus book. But the more I learn about it, the more I get confident. I am now 95% sure Ptolus will join the hall of fame of all-time best setting books, all RPGs mingled. I don't expect less.

:D

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Odhanan said:
OMG yes! I will get this piece of D&D goodness, for sure! :D

It's an insight into the game of the guys who built D&D. It is a great opportunity to have a great city based campaign. It will be FILLED with factions, houses, sects, buildings... stuff one can use in different contexts. It is designed, written and played for years by Monte (which is good enough for me, because I trust the guy on his creations more than anyone out there at the moment).

I didn't see great city books for ages. Sharn and Waterdeep don't suck (actually Sharn is pretty good) but could have been much better than they are. I remember with great fondness Havena (Schwarze Auge), Pavis (for RuneQuest/Glorantha) and Laelith (from Casus Belli).

I was a bit sceptic it would be awesome to have a Ptolus book. But the more I learn about it, the more I get confident. I am now 95% sure Ptolus will join the hall of fame of all-time best setting books, all RPGs mingled. I don't expect less.

:D

Bluffside, Freeport, and City of Silver are all big d20 city supplements you might want to check out if you like detailed city stuff. I think there is a Kalamar one as well but I don't remember the name.

Uder

First Post
Is Ptolus going to be 3.5 or 3.0? If not 3.5, I hope there's some notes for conversion on the CD. I really don't want to spend that kind of money if I have to do the conversion myself.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Oh, sweet heaven, yes!!!! I'm a huge follower of Monte's work and this is going to be the holy grail of my collection. Can you tell I'm excited? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uder

First Post
Frukathka said:
Oh, sweet heaven, yes!!!! I'm a huge follower of Monte's work and this is going to be the holy grail of my collection. Can you tell I'm excited? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah. It's a cool looking product, but looking at Malhavok's FAQs and product information, it seems almost like they're avoiding stating which version of d20 this is using.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads