• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte Cook's World of Darkness

DungeonMaester

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Left Palladium a long time ago. Not even their re-acquirement of the Robotech license will bring me back (and I happened to like Robotech).

Besides, I wouldn't want to deal with the company owner who is willing to sic her lawyer wife on you if you take his IP and convert it to another ruleset (and I happened to like some of his fluff works).

IP?

---Rusty

Odhanan

Adventurer
Donovan Morningfire said:
I might give this a look over to see what it contains and how Monte handles the various WoD tropes. Far as I'm concerned, he can't do much worse than the elitist knuckleheads that work there full-time did.

If this product can do something about the divide that exists between "DnDers" and "WoDers", and more generally about what some people might look at as the artificial divide between so-called "RPers" and "Tacticians", that would be great. We all could use some fresh air from that point of view, don't you think? :)

Odhanan said:
If this product can do something about the divide that exists between "DnDers" and "WoDers", and more generally about what some people might look at as the artificial divide between so-called "RPers" and "Tacticians", that would be great. We all could use some fresh air from that point of view, don't you think? :)
I agree it would be nice. But a large part of the problem (at least from my experiences) is that the White Wolf head staff themselves encourage this sort of division in the ranks, feeling that because their games are "story-based" rather than "tactics-based," they are inherently superior to the d20 crowd.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I agree that the WW stance on what "storytelling" is and isn't did nothing to help in this divide, but we can't pool everyone working for WW at some point in the same bag. I mean, you've got someone like Ari Marmell, for instance. Nice guy, a true gamer, you know, like you and me, who's worked on both WoD and DnD products during the past few years. Can we throw the first stone? I wouldn't.

Besides, we shouldn't judge those who've been loathing DnD too harshly I think. There's been a lot of good d20 stuff WW helped publish, including all the Malhavoc products in print, and there's been some progress made during the last few years.

Harsh words on either side of a fence that shouldn't have existed in the first place would only rekindle the fires of frustration. So... let's just be happy there's some change going on. :)

EditorBFG

Explorer
Donovan Morningfire said:
White Wolf head staff themselves encourage this sort of division in the ranks, feeling that because their games are "story-based" rather than "tactics-based," they are inherently superior to the d20 crowd.
You know, while I'm not a big fan of this divide, it does occur to me that it is smart on White Wolf's part, as it keeps hardcore fans from splittiling their game dollar. If Joe Blow is gonna spend X dollars a month on RPG stuff, creating an attitude of superiority makes sure that all of those dollars go to White Wolf, instead of being split with WotC or someone else. I know this worked really well with WoD 1.0-- I don't know how it works now. Maybe it doesn't, which could be part of the motivation for McWod.

Heck, I'm still hoping against hope that McWod is based on Wod1.0 instead of 2.0. Having what comics people call on a "jumping-on" point is smart for continuing properties, but for me 2.0 was a jumping-off point. System is better, but the new setting just doesn't grab me at all.

Voadam

Legend
EditorBFG said:
You know, while I'm not a big fan of this divide, it does occur to me that it is smart on White Wolf's part, as it keeps hardcore fans from splittiling their game dollar. If Joe Blow is gonna spend X dollars a month on RPG stuff, creating an attitude of superiority makes sure that all of those dollars go to White Wolf, instead of being split with WotC or someone else. I know this worked really well with WoD 1.0-- I don't know how it works now. Maybe it doesn't, which could be part of the motivation for McWod.

Heck, I'm still hoping against hope that McWod is based on Wod1.0 instead of 2.0. Having what comics people call on a "jumping-on" point is smart for continuing properties, but for me 2.0 was a jumping-off point. System is better, but the new setting just doesn't grab me at all.

I'm familiar with 1.0 and not at all with 2.0, and I liked 1.0 so I would prefer a 1.0 OGL myself as well (I even have the GURPS books). but I think since 1.0 is dead and gone as far as any support it is unlikely.

Remove ads