• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Monte's NEW Secret Project

A2Z

Explorer
Wolfspider said:
Whoah...stop the presses! Book of Hallowed Might? This is his Secret Project? When was this announced? What IS it? :eek:
Yeah, I noticed that. But is it the secret project or is that a Malhavoc Press product?

Solarc

First Post
Rumor is....

He's creating a monster... he said it was big....

I'lll bet he's making Godzilla.

D&D Needs another big lizard.

omedon

First Post
The Book of Hallowed Might is NOT the secret project. It is the tentative title for a book of divine magic Monte is making.

Monte has several new products in the works that he has announced on his site. Including the Banewarrens mega-adventure most of you have probably heard of as well as some you probably haven't such as these.

Requiem for a God

Book of Eldritch Might III: The Nexus

Book of Hallowed Might

and of course the Secret project.

Pleas just follow this link to find out more about all of these new books.

Edit: And one more thing, ALL of these are Malhavoc Press products. The Book of Hallowed Might, The Secret Project, Everything. They are all going to be published in PDF first and in print later. And according to the date stamp on the website they were announced yesterday (Jan 24th).

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I can understand Monte wanting to stir interest in his work, but enough of the "man this is cool but I can't tell you what it is for several months" method of promotion. In my case, I get turned off by such tactics. Monte's one of my favorite game designers, but my enthusiasm is rapidly cooling as this kind of thing keeps happening. Why are these projects so secret? Why can't he at least tell us something - a title, a synopsis, whatever? Even Gygax teases us with straightforward statements rather than oblique hints, and if anyone is a master of stirring interest in RPG products, it's EGG.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Personally...

I don't CARE that much for what "secret projects" Monte has. The ones he's telling me about are enough to keep me wanting to get his Print stuff. I cannot wait to get BoEM II in Print along with The Banewarrens to tryout. Though I do hope Monte will try with his tenatively titled "Book of Hallowed Might", to make some COOL feats just for Clerics/Druids. I think they'd benefit from it.

Razuur

First Post
Yah!

I know what you mean. The secret project thing was interesting at first. But now, not matter what it is, it justis not going to live up to the hype.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Eldritch Might, and I think Mr. Cook can make some good stuff. but the hype is beginning to annoy me as well.

When I hear about the second big secret project, I just rolled my eyes in annoyance.

Tell us or don't. Months ago, we were supposed to hear what his first secret project. We even had the big wig from WOTC come on and say how close they were and how he couldn't say anything quite yet.

How long can this be dragged out? Long enough for me to be too annoyed to purchase it!

Razuur

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
I too like Monte's work, he is one of the best game designers out there. I also agree that this tactic is getting tiring. I can understand him not talking about his 'Secret Project' for WotC which is named after a Magic Item in the DMG that someone on the boards guessed which is filled with 'icky goodness', etc... that is WotC's policy: not to say anything about it until it is in their product catalog. But this new 'Secret Project' seems to be for his own company not someone elses so why does he not come out and say what it is, unless of course he has the same policy; and if so why does he mention anything at all (especially since we have to wait a year and a half for it).:mad: ;)

Monte as I have said before on other threads- You must be a Ravenloft Darklord or even a Dark Power because you enjoy torturing your fans (of which I am one btw).:)

Last edited:

Aitch Eye

First Post
This current announcement comes at the end of a long listing of all the projects for his company that he's working on and releasing for the rest of the year. If at the end of all that he just said "Then I'll be doing something else." and left it at that how would the response he'd get be any different? People would still be speculating about what it might be, since it would have to mean something that he didn't say anything about the project after being so detailed about everything else. It would only get worse as time went by and there continued to be no new information on what he's working on despite his being so prolific this year. The borderline obsessive compulsive behaviour among gamers would still manifest itself, and they'd probably still find ways to get irritated with him about it.

He makes himself very available to fans, as a result they're going to be wondering and asking about what he's up to far more than other game designers who don't. In his situation, what's the response going to be if he just starts saying nothing at certain points? Would that really end up being satisfactory? Or fair for those of us who don't make it a big problem for themselves?

As far as I can tell, the only way for him to have gotten out of this hole people have dug for him is to have made up some completely uninteresting projects and then stuck them into the schedule as a cover. But after the real one was announced, he'd then have people combing his upcoming projects and starting threads speculating on whether some of them are fake. Then some would get absolutely convinced that some of them were, and would complain about his "constant" use of the trick.

I think he was probably just trying to share his enthusiasm for the project with people, and that's part of what makes his website such a nice place to visit. There are a lot of other things inside and out of gaming in the next year to get excited about. Perhaps people should just choose to focus on those rather than fixating on what he might be doing if they're going to cause themselves such trouble by doing so.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Hey it's not I want to stake the guy or something...

I just don't have the time or the energy to put much worry or speculation into something that's a "secret".

Mixmaster

Explorer
"I just don't have the time or the energy to put much worry or speculation into something that's a "secret"."

True, true.

When it comes, it comes. (and I will buy it.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads