More bad news for HBOmax/DC

Ixal

Hero
HBO Max is purposefully driven into the ground anyway.

Not sure about how I feel about the Zatanna movie. Imo it would have required some heavy reinventing as the stereotypical top hat wearing magician is seriously outdated.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
HBO Max is purposefully driven into the ground anyway.
I haven't been following that sort of thing, can you give me some details about this? I thought that streaming services for reoccurring subscription income was all the push nowadays.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I haven't been following that sort of thing, can you give me some details about this? I thought that streaming services for reoccurring subscription income was all the push nowadays.

It's .... complicated.

When HBO Max debuted, it was owned by AT&T. And in that milieu, there were two things that made it really awesome-

1. AT&T was willing to shovel money into it.

2. Wall Street cared more about growth in subscribers than it did about, um, "making money."

Combine those two things and you had a brief amazing period at HBO Max (and the WB studio). We also saw other streamers paying insane amounts to generate content. Content is king after all, and all of them want to be Netflix and Disney+, not Peacock.

However, the spinoff of WB/HBO did a few things which are coming into focus-

A. You no longer had a giant, somewhat disinterested, telecom company as the deep pockets.

B. The mechanics of the transition to Discovery/HBO saddled the new entity with pretty massive debt.

C. The Discovery people took over.

What we are seeing is David Zaslav (head of WB Discovery) is doing what he does best from the Discovery side- cutting costs. This has taken many forms. First is the use of certain tax breaks that are only available after this type of merger, and that require writing off assets (this is the "Batgirl" fiasco). Next is the "disappearing" of shows- shows that HBO has the right to stream are just disappearing, because those shows have residual rights and they have to pay the talent to continue to maintain them on the service. After that is the re-thinking of profitability; in essence, they are de-valuing the streaming and owning the rights to content and placing a premium on showing movies in theaters with a restricted window and shopping programs to other streamers instead of keeping them in-house. Finally, they are trying to boost the use of lower-cost shows over programming that has higher costs (Discovery-type reality programming instead of HBO dramatic shows).

Now, in my opinion, this could have very deleterious effects in the long term as streaming shakes out. If, however, this is a ploy to get the balance sheet looking good before it is sold ... well, maybe it makes sense?

But if you're a fan of quality HBO programming ... or a fan of the great DC programming they have been doing on HBO Max, this really sucks. A lot.

Stalker0

Legend
A lot of this may also be a natural problem with the streaming model.

Early on, streaming is amazing. You effectively dust off your old content, add in a few new items…and your just making money.

However now that streaming has aged a bit, people have started to burn through that old content, and it’s not enough to keep that around. Further, more competition makes people more Selective.

Now you need half a dozen massive budget productions to hold on to your audience, and the finance math becomes more questionable.

What could be the future of streaming is actually the bargain basement service. Very low cost, almost no new content. You’ll always have a set User base that will pay that fee month after month and cost wise it’s dirt cheap to run.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Just when I thought my opinion of the current corporate leadership of Warner/Discovery could not get any lower... :rolleyes:

Remove ads