• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

more cantrips?

duhtroll

First Post
Anyone ever figure out:

1) Why wizards/sorcerors never get bonus cantrips. (or ANY spellcasters getting more than 4 0-lvl spells per day) You'd think they'd get 27 of 'em at higher levels.

2) How to get more of them short of "extra slot" feat?

Thanks,
-A

kenobi65

First Post
IMO: because cantrips can be nice little utilty spells, but they're generally not meant to be anything approaching the usefulness of "real" (level 1+) spells. Give more per day, give extra slots, and you start to encourage overuse of 'em.

I remember, when cantrips were first introduced in Unearthed Arcana (the 1985 version), we had magic-uses who just went ape with cantrips, using them constantly in combat (in place of spells that are actually meant to be effective in combat). Drove me up a tree.

Jack Simth

First Post
Probably a matter of the formula used for calculating bonus spells: For a given spell level, the number of bonus spells is (about) (4 + Key Ability Modifier - Spell Level)/4 (round down). You'd be getting a bonus spell with a 0 modifier.

Besides, without an Archmage's Arcane Fire, how often are you going to actually use those four slots up?

duhtroll

First Post
I use them. A lot.

Cantrips are wonderful things. It just seems to me that a wizard with a 22 INT should have a bonus spell (or spells) of 0-level. You can get bonus spells of any level except 0. Doesn't make sense to me.

-A

Jack Simth said:
Probably a matter of the formula used for calculating bonus spells: For a given spell level, the number of bonus spells is (about) (4 + Key Ability Modifier - Spell Level)/4 (round down). You'd be getting a bonus spell with a 0 modifier.

Besides, without an Archmage's Arcane Fire, how often are you going to actually use those four slots up?

FireLance

Legend
Obligatory "it doesn't have to make sense - it's magic" comment.

That said, if you really want to get more cantrips, you can use higher level spell slots. Consider the bonus slot you get for having a 12 in your spellcasting stat. Most players would rather use it for a 1st-level spell, but you could use it for an extra cantrip if you want. The same goes for the bonus slots you get for higher ability scores. With a 20, you could get as many as 6 extra cantrips.

Sledge

First Post
In most of our groups campaigns we simply set 0-level bonus spells as the same amount as first level spells. Just makes more sense to us.

Remove ads