• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

more damage for a blaster build

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Arcane aegis: says to designate ally, up to 3 at 3rd level, says nothing about self????? Is this a common question by those 1st reading the class info to read as written.

In D&D, you are your own ally.

I like this War Mage class, what is it 3.0? Is there an updated 3.5 version? or just the above previously mentioned errata?

It's 3.5; the errata wasn't a 3.0/3.5 conversion document, just a few class updates.

Drowbane

First Post
Unfortunately the WotC Warmage is not a very good 'blaster" class. It can do the job, but without really trying other classes do it better. Sorc, simply because they can take some BOOM and also do more relevant things... like perhaps Fly, Haste, Mage Armor, or whatever. My personal favorite BOOM class is Psion. If Gestalt (which is the norm 'round these parts) its Psion | Wilder.

Why psionics? Fire and Cold gets +1 dmg per die... standard with psi-powers. If you focus on one of those (Privileged Energy, Complete Psi) you can get up to +2 per die. So... a level 7 Psi | Wilder can throw a 10d6+20 energy sphere (I prefer Cold as it attacks Fort with Psi...).

After you get Privileged Energy you're going to want Metapower (comp psi) + empower on your favorite Energy power. It basically removes up to 2 points of meta-penalty from a metafeat. So that above Psi | Wilder can toss a 10d6+20 x1.5 cold sphere. For an average of... 82.5. In a non-gestalt that would be a mere 7d6+14 x1.5... which is still better than what you can manage with a Warmage.

Arcane Thesis: the easiest way for Arcane to trumph Psi in the blasting department... I can't recommend going this route. Even I have my limits. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads