• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

more damage for a blaster build

emanresu

First Post
base class is warmage, and Im looking for ways (spells feats tricks O the trade) to increase the damage output; how to get +1, +2 or +3 per di? per level?
& as a side dish, how to raise dc of area spells such as fireball, lightening bolt cone of flame? Pesky Rogues and like take no damage sometimes DAMN EVASION!!!!

Eman

emoplato

First Post
Well naturally there are the spell focus feats +2 DC to the corresponding magic school. Also heighten spell, dragon-blooded, and accelerate metamagic(heighten) can easily can cast them up to 9th level. Then there is also earth spell giving you 10th level spell basis. As for increasing damage on a warmage without metamagic I really don't know many. There is energy substitution and admixture(Complete Arcane) but the later is high level metamagic(4) but virtually doubles damage. You basically take the energy selected from substitution and add it fully to the other energy spell.

emanresu

First Post
As for increasing damage on a warmage without metamagic I really don't know many.

metamagic is fine, please by all means any and all methods to increase damage output

parinho7

First Post
reserves of strength
arcane thesis
maximize/empower/twin spell
easy metamagic
10 levels of incantatrix
boost your caster level (archmage 5??)

apply the above to an orb of force -> no save, no sr -> 360 + 60d6*0.5 damage

Last edited:

Duke Arioch

First Post
Try Reserves of Strength feat from Dragonlance. DM might ban it though.
Reserves of Strength
When you cast a spell, you can choose to increase its caster level at the cost of exhausting yourself.
Prerequisites: Iron Will, spellcaster level 1.
Benefit: When you cast a spell, you can choose to increase your caster level with that spell by 1, 2, or 3, but you are stunned for an equal number of rounds immediately after doing so. Your increased caster level affects all level based variables of the spell, including range, area of effect, spell penetration, and the difficulty of dispelling the spell. You can exceed the normal level-fixed limits of a spell with this feat, so a 9th level wizard could use Reserves of Strength to cast a fireball as a 12th-level wixard and deal 12d6 fire damage.
If you are not subject to stunning effects, you instead suffer 1d6, 3d6, or 5d6 points of damage when you call upon your Reserves of Strength.

There are ways to counter stun or get temp HP to buffer the damage. Awesome feat, though better used to cheat out polymorph level cap than for upping blast damage.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
There's a war mage (not warmage, war mage) prestige class in Dragonlance: Age of Mortals that gives you +1 damage per die at 1st level and another +1 at 3rd and 5th, as well as a bonus metamagic feat from a small list at 2nd and 4th. And you gain the ability to grant yourself and/or some allies +Cha as a morale bonus to AC. So 5 levels gets you +3 damage per die with all blasting spells, 2 free metamagic feats, and +Cha to AC.

Note: there is errata in an unofficial Dragonlance book (as opposed to Age of Mortals and the DLCS, which are official) that limits the +X per die to 3+Int per day, but (A) it's unofficial material and (B) even at 3+Int per day you can use it with all of your highest-level spells. Personally, I think the errata is a terrible idea, but even if your DM uses it the class is still a good one.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Extra Edge yet. It gives some more damage based on your level. Otherwise I'd recommend bumping your int.

In Complete Arcane there are some very nice meta-magic feats. I'd recommend Born of the Three Thunders (or just Explosive spell if you don't want to hurt yourself), Lord of the Uttercold, Repeat Spell, Split Ray and Fiery spell from Sandstorm.

For your frustrations with evasion, remember that Orbs are your friend. Especially Orb of Force when you get it. Disintegrate can be even more fun later on. Low touch ACs coupled with a rogue's poor fort save can lead to some interesting times. And failing that, there's always Magic Missile.

EDIT:
You could also pick up Ranged/Touch Spell Specialization in Complete Arcane. Or even Point Blank Shot.

Last edited:

emanresu

First Post
There's a war mage (not warmage, war mage) prestige class in Dragonlance: Age of Mortals that gives you +1 damage per die at 1st level and another +1 at 3rd and 5th, as well as a bonus metamagic feat from a small list at 2nd and 4th. And you gain the ability to grant yourself and/or some allies +Cha as a morale bonus to AC. So 5 levels gets you +3 damage per die with all blasting spells, 2 free metamagic feats, and +Cha to AC.

Arcane aegis: says to designate ally, up to 3 at 3rd level, says nothing about self????? Is this a common question by those 1st reading the class info to read as written.

I like this War Mage class, what is it 3.0? Is there an updated 3.5 version? or just the above previously mentioned errata?

Remove ads