More Details About RPGSports Emerge

I had a short chat with Will Jones about RPGSports, the online competitive D&D event which was announced recently, and he was kind enough to answer a few questions about how the contest, which starts on November 10th, works.

I had a short chat with Will Jones about RPGSports, the online competitive D&D event which was announced recently, and he was kind enough to answer a few questions about how the contest, which starts on November 10th, works.

Ads-RPG-Sports-768x402.png

Is RPGSports a team event, or is it geared at individuals?

It’s a team event! There are 16 players total with 4 on each team. A lot of these folks are from competitive eSports backgrounds and are newer to Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition, but boy have they been reading up! It’s been great to see the teams come together and support one another. Experienced players have been taking the time to sit down with the newer ones and give them advice. They’ve been getting together for practice games and honing the craft. The format may be competitive, but the team work we’ve seen before the game has even begun has made me incredibly proud to see.

What's the basic format of RPGSports? Do characters fight each other, or do groups compete against each other to achieve some sort of goal?

In this first tournament teams compete against one another in a Team Deathmatch style game of 4v4. We’ve heard a lot of requests to run “Dungeon runs” - eg. racing through the Tomb of Horrors to see which team can get through fastest. Different formats are absolutely on our radar for 2019.

What sort of challenges might participants be expected to face? What would the victory conditions look like?

Aside from facing off against the other team, you can expect to see deadly traps, environmental hazards and more. There’s an element of strategy in looking for & disabling traps, while evading the environmental hazards that enter the game as time passes by. The primary win condition is to eliminate all 4 enemy PCs at the same time. If there’s no winner at the end of the match time, we look to other statistics that our analysts are tracking to decide the winner, or can even go into overtime.

You mention a $5,000 prize. Is that the only prize, or are there smaller prizes also?

It’s winner takes all, I’m afraid! Oh, and the winning team gets a big gaudy trophy too. We had to have a trophy. Aside from that though we are sending all of the players dice, shirts and other swag just for taking part.

You changed name from DnDSports to RPGSports recently. What other RPGs do you plan to include?

The table is very open for other TTRPGs to be added to our roster. If anything, it’s a matter of narrowing down some of the games which would work best for RPGSports, rather than having to choose from a small selection. The audience have already suggested dozens of RPGs, but right now we’re focused on getting this first event right before planning too far in advance.

Is RPGSports a one-off event, or an ongoing thing?

We plan for this be an ongoing tournament format in 2019. We’ve been overwhelmed with requests to play and get involved, it’s been incredible. There are even gaming stores interested in taking part in some kind of larger league. All of this is obviously very exciting, but it’s not something we want to dive into without proper structure. You can expect to hear more details from us in the coming year!

When using 5E D&D, do you have a list of pregenerated characters? How many, and what classes and races are covered?

There are 15 Pregenerated characters which have been limited to PHB content for this first tournament. One of the reasons for this is to not overwhelm some newer gamers, while the other is for balance. Giving our team control of the pregens has allowed us to make sure there’s no super overpowered meta build!

The format also features a pick/ban phase which allows teams to ban out a potentially powerful class.

We’ve got a good range of the races & classes in there, and it’s up to the teams to assess which Pregens are the best and how to best utilise their toolset.

Do you already have participants? How would a potential competitor enter?

For this first tournament the participants are already selected for the event, but in the future we definitely see an application process being put in place. Again, that’s in our 2019 plans but we definitely want to make this accessible to the general public.

dwayne

Adventurer
Nothing good can come from this, it will only draw the wrong crowd to the RPG games and then you can just drop the role play part and start calling it An E sport. Because role play is not a factor in it, it is all just power gaming and munckinized people playing. I really don't like that in my game i prefer a creative person who can think out side the box, but here they seem to be wanting to take it in another direction.

Not that this necessarily carries any weight, but early Advanced Dungeons & Dragons convention games were tournaments. Players formed teams and threw themselves at the adventure trying to score as many points as they could. They were competitive. They relied on a Dungeon Master to fairly adjudicate the adventure. I see this as nothing more than a modern extension of the roots of D&D convention play. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. There is plenty of room in the RPG space for all types of play styles. Rising tides, and all that.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Inexperienced 'celebrity' players, pregenerated characters, PvP...
This is starting to sound like a D&D version of "Battle of the Network Stars". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Network_Stars

On one hand, BotNS was a quilty pleasure for me as a young kid. I got to see all my favorite actors doing stuff totally outside what I was used to seeing.

On the other hand, this is nothing like BotNS, because that involved... y'know... activity. ;-)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
one of my greatest concern, reading comments here and on the previous threads about the same topic, is that this rpgsport thing seems to divide the community a lot. and this is a very bad thing imho. if I were someone in wotc I would be also worried, being one of the 5e design principles to put an end to editions war and, in general, to community-divisive elements.

If people are going to get upset over people playing D&D differently then they do its probably best to just ignore them. And as a lot of people keep saying competitive D&D is as old as D&D itself though in a bit of a different form. To some RPG are a form of amateur theater and to some they are games to be beaten so there has always been a division in the fanbase.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It'll be a niche part of the D&D experience that a small segment will really enjoy, most will completely ignore and not even realize it exists, and a select few will rail against over and over and over because they have nothing better to do with their time than crap in other people's cereal and they think their opinion actually holds any weight. Just like Critical Role, just like Adventurer's League, just like Dragon+, just like 4E currently, just like Jeremy Crawford's tweets, and so on and so on and so on...

I expect I'll probably check a little bit of it out if/when it happens... but most likely not end up sticking with it. And I'll join the large group of probably 90% of the D&D community who'll be completely ignoring it as it goes along.

Lylandra

Adventurer
If that would be and stay a small segment, then fine. But it definitely smells like they're trying to start a big business here.

What I really don't understand is why they won't ask "real" celebrities who play D&D (there are plenty) or, heck, why they won't ask more prominent D&D streamers. Like the people from Critical Role or even jack-of-all-trade gamers like Rhykker. This way you could even get a tiny glimpse of role-playing instead of pure "GG"-ness.

Nothing good can come from this, it will only draw the wrong crowd to the RPG games and then you can just drop the role play part and start calling it An E sport. Because role play is not a factor in it, it is all just power gaming and munchkinized people playing. I really don't like that in my game i prefer a creative person who can think out side the box, but here they seem to be wanting to take it in another direction.

Not you specifically, since I do not know you in person, but these type of events will just help to expose more of the elitist, gatekeeper types who demand that people play the game their One True Way. WotC wants 5E to be inclusive, not exclusive, and if people are enjoying the game the way they play it, no one is going to stop them or force them to change to the "Proper Way".

If this works, cool. If not, then it was an interesting experiment. I, personally, have no interest in PvP in any kind of gaming environment, and do not allow it at all in games I DM, but I am also not interested in stopping people from trying it in their own games.

Remove ads

Remove ads