• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More killer spell combos

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Darklone said:
Fairie Fire/Glitterdust and some darkness of fog spell.
Hmm...I don't think this works. Fairie fire only negates concealment "normally provided by darkness (though a second-level or higher magical darkness effect functions normally." It doesn't help against concealment provided by fog.

Glitterdust doesn't help against concealment at all: it just adds a -40 penalty to all hide checks.

Sad, but true :(.

Daniel

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Web and Summon Swarm (spiders)
such an icky combo at low levels

I don't know if its a combo but the party cleric cast 3 spirtual weapons
10th lvl cleric with 20 wisdom =
+12/+7 (1d8+3) with 3 of them going at once -
ignoring incorperality and DR
Hmm close reading says that if the weapon is not directed it returns to caster and hovers, but there is no def. of what directed means...
any options ?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Reduce or Item + any kind of dispelling magic (directed or field).

Used that combo to mess up a high level party. The large amount of reduced boulders and itemed fires and oils hit the mage's Minor Globe of Invulnerability...

Result:

The party was hit by huge boulders & trapped beneath them as burning oil seeped down between the cracks, lighting them.

UG-LEE!

UltimaGabe

First Post
One of my favorite combos for a mid-level Cleric is Poison, followed up by a Slay Living. Poison reduces the target's Constritution, thus lowering his fort saves for subsequent spells- and the great thing about Poison is that since it follows a different formula for its DC than other spells, it'll usually have a higher save DC than other spells of its level.

Another great combo is Touch of Idiocy followed up by either a Bestow Curse (-6 Wisdom penalty) or a Feeblemind. Touch of Idiocy, especially empowered, can reduce the target's Will saves by up to 3 (max damage) or 5 (max damage, empowered, and their Wisdom was an even number prior to the spell). Feeblemind pretty much takes the creature out of the fight, and Bestow Curse will make the target's Will saves even worse than they already are. If you chose Bestow Curse over Feeblemind, you're free to cast whatever Will save spells you want at them at that point. Bestow Greater Curse (Complete Divine) may be better, but I'm not too familiar with that spell.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
smetzger said:
Wall of thorns and blade barrier.

Which does what precisely? As far as I can tell, the blade barrier has no additional effect whatsoever.

Thanee said:
The old Forcecage, Dimensional Anchor/Lock, Cloudkill trick? ;)
Ooooh, scary. Two rounds of cloudkill. Remember people - cloudkill MOVES away from the caster at a minimum of 10 feet per round.

The interaction of the point of origin of a spell and a force effect is undefined. I daresay most DMs would not have a cloudkill "hit" a wall and stay there - they'd have it "hit" the wall and then cease operation.
Darklone said:
Fireball and Wall of force. :D
Well, that one certainly does nothing.
Fairie Fire/Glitterdust and some darkness of fog spell.
IF you've got a first level darkness spell. Won't work on fog.
Evilhalfling said:
Web and Summon Swarm (spiders)
such an icky combo at low levels
Now that one's pretty sweet.
drunkmoogle said:
Mentioned in an earlier thread here:
Grease + Sneak Attacks (Grease causes balance chacks, which causes flat-footedness).
Note that by the RAW, it only causes flat-footedness when the target tries to move. For some reason despite needing repeated reflex saves to stay standing, the target is considered just hunky dory if he stands and fights...
Shame that sleet storm blocks vision really...
-Prismatic Wall(Ceiling) and Reverse Gravity: Pain.
Reverse gravity seems a bit heavy-handed (heh - get it?). Why not go with a telekinesis instead? If the target is light, violent thrust, otherwise use the "move the grapple" option on the combat maneuver entry.

And if you feel real lucky, you can even go with bullrushing the target.
-Dispel Magic (Item Suppressal) and Shatter: When you absolutely, positively have to destroy the [un]holy dingus which is uber-powerful and you don't have much time.
Shatter is a great and very overlooked spell.
-Flesh to Stone, Transmute Rock to Mud, Soften Earth and Stone, Transmute Mud to Rock, Stone to Flesh: Ever wonder where gibbering mouthers came from? This truly is a "killer" combo. :D
This isn't really much of a combo at all - after 'flesh to stone' the target is basically already dead. After that, you should really just find a way to hide the statue forever (to prevent resurrection). Shame you can't permanence 'sequester'.

The rest of the steps are... fairly pointless. Beyond the fact that you could just use stoneshape instead of the middle three spells.

green slime

First Post
Saeviomagy said:
I daresay most DMs would not have a cloudkill "hit" a wall and stay there - they'd have it "hit" the wall and then cease operation.

In fact, the spell is ill-defined. What happens if the caster is standing in a deep pit? The cloud moves away from the caster, yet sinks to the lowest level of the land? It can't do both.

What happens when the caster moves? If he moves into the middle of the cloud, does it keep on spreading away from him at 10 feet per round, becoming donut-shaped?

And as to the case in hand, I'd have it hit the wall then try to seep around it. I wouldn't have it cease functioning just because of a wall.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Saeviomagy said:
Ooooh, scary. Two rounds of cloudkill. Remember people - cloudkill MOVES away from the caster at a minimum of 10 feet per round.

I think the correct order is cloudkill then forcecage(nonbarred variety). Dimensional lock is merely an added extra to consider when facing arcane casters, psions, high level monks and many outsiders. The issue then becomes one of whether cloudkill blocks line of sight for targetting the forcecage.

Mind you, since forcecage has such a hugely expensive material component you might be better off risking a Ref ST on Otlilukes sphere to trap him in with the nasties.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dannyalcatraz said:
Reduce or Item + any kind of dispelling magic (directed or field).

Used that combo to mess up a high level party. The large amount of reduced boulders and itemed fires and oils hit the mage's Minor Globe of Invulnerability...

Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast.

Plane Sailing said:
Good spells which hurt you a lot if you are stuck in them for several rounds:

Blade Barrier

How so?

-Hyp.

Plane Sailing

Hypersmurf said:

In the sense of using telekinesis to grapple them and move them into the vertical blade barrier wall and hold them there (don't worry, I'm not mixing it up with the 3e blender of doom area affect wonder which was 3.0e blade barrier!)

Plane Sailing

Hypersmurf said:
Spells of 4th level and higher are not affected by the globe, nor are spells already in effect when the globe is cast.

This was one of the changes which annoyed me in 3.5e for a couple of reasons.

Firstly it spoilt the best guaranteed counter to silence spell

Secondly it introduces the 'spell omniscience' problem (or perhaps it should be the 'spell freshness' problem) where the globe is able to suppress a mirror image spell that was cast more recently than the globe but can't suppress a mirror image that was cast longer ago. Is the globe inherently ageist, or does it just respect it's elders lots?

I can't be sure without my books handy but I've got a feeling that the PHB still has an example of its use which confuses this issue too. The SRD doesn't have any such example so I might be remembering that wrong :)

CHeers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads