• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E More realistic rules for the net weapon? (5e)

Noob DM here -- one of my players is playing a Cleric of Eldath (Forgotten Realms goddess of peace and serenity) and really wants to use the net as her favored weapon.

Story-wise I think that's excellent, but we're both pretty dissatisfied about the way the net is treated mechanically. In the 5e RAW, the net is a ranged martial weapon with unusual range stats that end up giving it disadvantage on all uses (unless you can counteract that disadvantage, e.g. by taking certain feats). There's also a special limitation on attacks for this weapon: once you attack with a net you are disallowed from making any further attacks on this turn.

There's been some discussion on the interwebs of the notion that these limitations make the net very weak. But both of these limitations are fine by me and my player! Our dissatisfaction stems from the mere fact of treating it as a ranged martial weapon to begin with.

Unless I'm missing something, this means that a player casting a net over an opponent makes a ranged attack roll and compares to the target's AC -- just as if using a ranged weapon meant to inflict damage (rather than to restrain the opponent, like the net does). But this means that, as with a conventional weapon, the net is much more likely to succeed against an unarmored character with high Dex (let's say +3 Dex modifier, giving AC 13) than on a low-Dex character who happens to be wearing plate mail (AC 18). Realistically, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Am I missing something? It's entirely possible! If not, does anyone have either: A) a good explanation why it makes sense for the net to work this way; or B) an alternative mechanic we could use instead?

guachi

Hero
To expand on that, you could have the attack roll be vs. passive acrobatics (so it's somewhat like AC in that it's 10 + modifier). You could even have it be vs athletics or acrobatics to allow for a stronger opponent to more easily push the net aside as it's thrown.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
If you want to change it around, make the net a Dex save. That seems to be how 5e handles this sort of thing. Yes, no mundane weapons have dex saves, but it's not really a weapon, more like a mobile hazard.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I would agree a Dex save is the straightforward way to go. Make the DC 8 + wielder's Dex + Proficiency.

I would not recommend using acrobatics, that will be very swingy depending on proficiency bonuses and things. Plus I don't know if any monsters have proficiency.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
In some of my campaigns I use weapon attack adjustments against armor types and the net is a special case. I give it a situational modifier that effectively makes the target's AC 11 + applicable DEX bonus depending on the type of armor worn, i.e. no cap for light or no armor, capped at +2 for medium armor, and no DEX bonus for heavy armor. It's basically what the lasso gets on the old AD&D tables.

Remove ads