Morlanda Journals

petenik

First Post
Everything was going so well! You had made some connections with the smugglers, had a few adventures, and now back to civilization. A few weeks ago a message reached you from Leothan by way of Corporal Robyn – asking you to come to his mother’s house in Sunden by the end of Raintide. That was 27th Suncrest.

2 days later, leaving Mistblossom, he caught you. Kol Tapok, a lizard-man bounty hunter who’d been dogging you for the last month. You thought he’d given up after you gave his kobolds the slip near Turtlebelly a week earlier. Turned out he’d just given you a bit of lead. What was his problem with you, anyway? As far as you knew, you hadn’t upset anyone near enough to have a price on your head, and Kol’s rep is that he’s strictly business.

Now, bouncing along behind him hogtied to a travois, head swimming with some damn dragonfolk poison or other, he’s telling you just that. “Not personal, Yehman. I follow you for weeks, you my kind of warmblood. Live in shadows, slinky, slippery. You no Sun-lover, either. But you worth lot more than those coins in your bag. And you be worth nothing to me if Chosen get you first. You lucky, Yehman. I gone fill you so full of tchong, you not feel anything that Black Skull bastard do to you anyhow. And when you dead, you stay that way, too. Not like if Chosen get you. So you gone give me those sovereigns, say thank you Kol Tapok.”

Black Skulls, eh? Maybe that half-orc priest decided getting a scorpion bolt in the guts wasn’t enough punishment. He must be rich, though, if you have a price worth more than the 150 sovereigns in your bag.

You bumped along through the moors all night, and most of the next, before you were loaded into a boat by a half-dozen squealing kobolds. The flies and mosquitos dined handsomely on you while Kol Tapok paddled through the maze of the swamps. In between singing to himself in the strange, multi-toned music of the dragonfolk, he continued to talk to you. “These Skulls, wish they still at Sweet Lake place. Was easier trip, no nasty fish, no Asshhlit’pak’du, no Three to worry about. But no, warmblood Wardens gone make things difficult. Good they kill so many of the Forsakers finding orc place, but bad for Kol Tapok when I want claim price on your head. Got to go Mist Isle, right under nose of Three, in deep lake where big ph’sshok fish live. And is long trip for you, warmblood. Those little bugs do like you, and I gone save tchong for when I give you to Black Skulls or you really be mad at me.”

Yeah. You’d really be mad at him. Because he didn’t drug you up now, so the bug bites wouldn’t drive you insane, so he could drug you up later when you might actually have a chance to escape. Awfully big of him.

It came out of the black water between the cypresses like a brown-and-yellow wave with teeth. Lots of teeth, and beady red eyes. Some kind of half-fish, half-snake thing. All you had time to do was gulp air into your lungs as the skiff pitched you overboard and Kol Tapok vanished beneath the water, locked in struggle with the monster fish. It was all you could do to keep your head above water, flexing your near-paralyzed body in spasms to twist onto a hillock of grass and muck. You could hear splashing in the distance… whatever that thing was, Kol Tapok seemed to be a bit much for it to digest.

Perhaps it’s the shock, perhaps it’s the terror, but feeling seems to be
returning to your rubbery limbs. Tentatively but urgently, you begin to
wriggle your hands free of your bonds. The splashing noises are coming
closer! As you work at your bonds, you catch a glimpse of something
brown and slimy roiling the surface of the water nearby… another monster
fish? A snake?

Free! Quickly, you undo the rest of your bindings and try to work some
feeling back into your leaden muscles. As you cast about yourself trying
to spot the skiff or some other way out of here, the misty twilight
parts and you see Kol Tapok, some 50’ away. He is struggling mightily
with a colossal eel-like monstrosity, twice his size. He seems to have
the beast mostly under control, but it isn’t quite dead yet – and he is
bleeding profusely from some nasty-looking bites.

There! The skiff floats only a couple dozen feet away from you, under
the vegetation. As you step into the water to make for it, though, you
spot that slimy brown back again. It’s another of the monster fish! And
it’s arrowing straight toward Kol Tapok, unseen.

As your well-concealed holdout knife parts the last of your bonds, you
see the fish pass nearby. Kol Tapok is oblivious to its approach – it
would be easy enough to leave him to feed the slimy horrors and make
your escape. But you’re in the middle of a strange swamp – and what if
he doesn’t lose? Better to have him owe you one. With a whispered curse,
you leap into the stinking water and stab at the monster, yelling
“There’s more of them!”

Before you can see whether Kol Tapok has even heard your warning, you’re
underwater. The thing is horribly strong, and its coils wind around you
like a snake, dragging you under as the jaws snap at your face. Again
and again, you blindly lash out with your knife, matching one slim steel
fang against its dozens of bony needles. You think it’s beginning to
weaken, but so are you… your lungs are bursting! At last, the creature’s
grip begins to slacken… but you cannot summon the strength to free
yourself… You’ve always heard that drowning’s not a bad way to go.

AIR! It’s as if the hand of the Gods reached down and snatched you from
the waters. With a shuddering retch, the foul swamp water spills from
you, and a harsh voice speaks. “You think maybe you hatchling dragonkin?
Little tiny fang? Dive too deep for little warmblood lungs? But brave.
And for one who sell you to Black Skulls, too.” Kol Tapok is battered
and bloody, but as imposing as ever. “It seems that Semuanya does not
think you should be given to Black Skulls. She sends her hounds to tell
me so. And you, with your little hatchling fang, you even kill ph’sshok
that sneak up on me. Very brave, warmblood. The eldest of asshlit’pak is
not so easily slain – I am not food for Semuanya’s hounds – but you not
know my blessing.

“If you sneak away, I would hunt you, maybe I would kill you. Not good
for Kol Tapok’s reputation if his prey slips away. Semuanya says not to
give you to Black Skulls, but that not to make me let you live. You
brave like hatchling, that make me let you live. You try to help me,
that make me keep Dragon Lake from kill you. You still gone die, Death’s
Chosen find you. No harm for my reputation lose you to Aehana – I know
she from long time. She kill like fiit’k’k mist, that one. She and
Mister Death, they close.

“One thing I not understand, though, warmblood. Why Aehana want kill you
and other Fairhill heroes. You not important people, and she got no use
for dead-loving Black Skulls like Tavik. She kill him for Mister Death,
that I understand. She kill bunch of little heroes? Not make sense.”

Kol Tapok leaves you at the edge of the swamps, not far from the
Halfling town of Turtlebelly. As he poles back into the mist, his last
words to you are “Hide good, hatchling dragon. Death’s Chosen prob’ly
found your clutchmates already. Aehana say she know you come back to
Fairhill soon enough.”

Chimera

First Post
Player Update

I had pretty much given up on the Story Hour.

Xilo and Leothan's players both posted here and encouraged me, but neither really added anything to the story themselves.

Lex's player read the first couple of sessions on paper, but doesn't read message boards.

Artemis' player didn't seem to respond to anything on-line, not even e-mails.

Nok's player, after talking up story hours no end, indicated that he would not even read this thread because he would "want to edit it". Made me want to bash him in the head with a large book. I'd say more, but Eric's grandmother wouldn't approve.

The GM, bless him, offered rewards if the other players would post. But while I appreciated that help, it made me wonder what I was doing this for when no one else cared.

So I let it slide under the rug.

But since Artemis' player has posted something, I think I will at least make some effort to get the story updated. What follows are sessions 5 & 6, which leaves me three sessions behind the tale when you add in tonight's session.

Chimera

First Post
Session 5

23rd Greening, 284

We returned to Fairhill after the battle, showing off our trophies. The townspeople were quite excited and quickly jumped to the conclusion that the difficulties were over and they could go about their business. We were astonished. There we were, looking much the worse for wear and carrying an unconscious and wounded friend, and these people ignored us when we said that it wasn’t over yet!

While I quickly retired to the Inn to rest up in case the Orcs decided to retaliate against the town during the night, Nok went to see the magistrate to let him know what was going on.

The rest of the group sought healing at the God houses, which were deserted. Eventually, they found Kord, a cleric of Kord, who offered them aid. He also offered them some magic corn cakes, which have a healing effect.

24th Greening, 284

We all got up early and headed out of town before dawn, hoping to get out of town before anyone noticed. While we prepared our spells, Lex tried to convince the halfling locals that their settlement wasn’t safe, but they were determined to remain in their houses. Oh well, you can’t rescue some people from themselves.

Well down the path to the Keep, we find a few hastily prepared traps, but Lex and Artemis easily spot them and we just go around them.

Arriving at the Keep, we sent Lex and Artemis forward to scout. After some time spent circling the place, they returned to report that there were guards on the palisades and signs of the occasional outside patrol. Unfortunately for us, Artemis reports that the tower door that we used last time is probably trapped. Looks like we’re going to need to find another way in.

More unfortunately, this is where we all fell to bickering, spending over an hour arguing about how best to gain entry. For some foolish reason, Lex kept insisting that she station herself up a tree along our likely line of retreat, to act as a sniper. Made no sense to me at all. Not only would she be largely removing herself from the fight, but if our retreat in that direction got cut off, she’d be trapped on her own. For her part, Xilo argued that she should expand to her full size and then lift us, one at a time, onto the wall. This was even more foolhardy, as we would be appearing one at a time for the full viewing pleasure of the assembled forces inside, without having any cover or avenue of escape. Damn them, but the two fools kept up this nonsense until I was nearly certain that the Orcs had heard us.

In the end, they finally accepted my plan, which was to have Nok deliberately trigger the tower door trap, hoping to draw some attention in that direction, while the rest of us moved up to the palisade on the far side. After a short delay, Xilo would pull down a section of the palisade and we would rush in, do as much damage as we could, then make our escape.

Unfortunately, once again one of our fools made mincemeat of our plan.

After Xilo moved up and ripped open a section of the palisade, Artemis and Leothan rushed in to engage the Orcs. Lex and I moved up to provide supporting fire as Nok rounded the corner to join us. Initially, we seemed to have caught the Orcs off-guard, though their numbers were more than we had anticipated.

Then… rather than moving forward to engage the Orcs as needed, Xilo decided to be completely stupid. She continued ripping down sections of the palisade, later reasoning that we might *somehow* need a larger avenue of escape. This caught Leothan and Artemis completely off-guard and they immediately retreated toward the palisade rather than remain forward and be surrounded by Orcs. Damn that Xilo, but if she can’t learn the proper role of a warrior in battle, we’re seriously screwed.

At this point, all hell broke loose. Additional Orcs came out of the buildings. Zombies began to shamble forward from the far side of the keep and a scorpion opened fire from the tower. I managed to hit that Orc with a Magic Missile, but it wasn’t enough to stop his murderous fire.

As the Zombies come forward from the chapel, Leothan manages to turn them. Unfortunately, Tavik almost immediately appeared from the chapel and rallied the Zombies. Behind him, the worst imaginable thing appeared. A large bear skeleton, dripping with frost and ice. At the mere sight of it, I thought we were done for.

Fortunately for all of us, Leothan simply gripped his holy symbol harder, pulled himself up and shouted the most thunderous turning I have ever seen, the light of Pelor shining from his face and holy symbol! Amazing! Wondrous! The Icy bear thing exploded in a shower of ice and bone fragments and half the Zombies fell to dust. We might just have a chance after all!

But yet again, I am given cause for discouragement, as an Ogre and several Orcs emerge from the closest tower. The Ogre manages to catch Artemis hard with it’s club, sending him flying.

Redoubling our efforts as I give the call to retreat, Nok casts his entangle spell upon the tall grass of the keep, to little effect. I cast Ray of Enfeeblement on the Ogre, seriously weakening it as Xilo manages to catch it with a horrendous blow!

Sadly, no one listened to my call for a retreat. More shear boneheadedness! Xilo is being surrounded by Orcs while Artemis hides amid the rubble, trying to staunch his wounds and cease to be a target. Just then, the Orc barbarian joins the fray, running straight at Xilo and taking a mean swipe that drops her. Damn her hide. The only thing that saved her was that Lex, Leothan and I threw everything we had at the Orcs around her, taking out most of them in one clean sweep. At the same time, Tavok was the only enemy caught in Nok’s entangle, which prevented him from casting spells to aid his comrades.

The tide marginally turns in our favor, but I still believe that we need to retreat as soon as we can. Damn shame that my comrades are too excited to listen to reason.

As Leothan moves up to heal and rescue the fallen Xilo, a shot from the scorpion hits Artemis square in the chest and he goes down. No one can get to him to check on him or get him out of there, though, as the Ogre and a few remaining Orcs stand between him and the rest of us.

Then we get the break we need.

Tavok, unable to successfully cast any spells due to the grasses wrapping themselves tightly around him, calls off his few remaining soldiers and attempts to parley. He tells us that he’ll let us leave in peace if we give him the medallion that Lex carries. Lex then pulls out the fake medallion (Leothan having the real thing), holds it up and begins to negotiate with Tavok. The rest of us use this time to clear our heads and figure things out. Clearly we are NOT going to give him the real thing, but we are uncertain what we can do other than gather our fallen comrades and retreat.

Suddenly, Nok pulls an unexpected reserve of power out of his ass and throws another entangle spell (note: Dork Tower card use), which manages to catch the Ogre and Orcs. A lucky shot from my crossbow then drops the Ogre. Leothan, Lex and the newly refreshed Xilo hammer the Orcs and before we know it, the battle is over as Tavok breaks free and retreats to the chapel with his few surviving followers.

Damn me, but we did it. Despite everything, we did it.

Checking on Artemis, we find him on the very threshold of death. Three curing spells late and he’s barely able to walk.

Leaving the chapel alone, we search the closest tower, from which the Orcs had appeared. Inside, we find Lannet bound and tortured. Serves him right. We also find a small amount of treasure, a couple of filthy rugs which might be worth something when cleaned, and a lot of equipment. We take the lot and get the heck out of there as quickly as we can.

A long painful walk back to the halfling settlement and I collapse into a deep sleep.

End session 5

Chimera

First Post
Session 6

25th Greening, 284

While Nok remains behind to tend to the wounded Artemis, the rest of us pack up before dawn and make a run for Minden town to sell off all this equipment that we’ve salvaged and pick up some supplies. We wanted to get out of town early to avoid letting anyone know that we were back in town. No sense spending the morning answering uncomfortable questions from Shandrill and others.

Along the way, we made a stop at the Widow’s Ford way station to speak to the Wardenry officers. They informed us that the Wardenry was sweeping the fens looking for the Black Skull’s base, but had not been able to locate it due to stiff resistance from the local Troglodytes.

As we rode north, I used my Prestidigitation spell to clean the three elven rugs of the filth and grime that had been deeply impressed into them. Dirty business, leaving a trail of slime down my legs and horse. Perhaps a good thing that we were not being followed, or any fool could simply have followed his nose. A very useful spell, this, but the entire experience left me dreading rather than looking forward to my next visit home. Surely my mother would set me to work cleaning everything and anything she could get her hands on. Heck, she’d probably take in cleaning just to keep me busy!

Arriving in Minden town just after noon, we got to business as quickly as possible. At the armory, we spent a while haggling over our large pile of Orcish arms and armor. At first, the proprietor didn’t want to give us much for any of it, wasn’t interested in a lot of it. It got to be very discouraging and we were just considering walking away when a particular suit of black scale mail grabbed her attention. It seemed to be in the style of a famed Mitlanyuli craftsman who disappeared roughly 25 years ago. This peaked her interest and she took a harder look at several other pieces, deciding that they too were either his work, or that of someone trained by this craftsman.

She was so eager for more information that she made us a very good deal on the entire package. Leothan was so pleased at being able to unload the lot that he sweetened the deal with arrangements to replace his and Xilo’s armor with better stuff from her shop. All in all we were very happy with the arrangements. It was good to unload several hundred pounds of arms and armor and walk away with enough money to outfit our group.

Just after this, I managed to find Luke Walton residing in Minden. He being a former instructor in the Transmutational arts and the Scholam. A few well placed words and some deference to the master and I was in! Taking up his teaching role once again for my benefit, I was able to make a few minor trades while setting up a good relationship for future dealings.

One thing of note that I did learn from him was in regards to the Dust of Disappearance that we took off Vortigren. Walton tells me that it was almost certainly made by Burl Macklin, a Halfling Sorcerer in Greenhill with black market connections. Walton says that there is no real market for such things beyond the high level black market (such items being prohibitively expensive for such limited use), so he can only imagine that is where it came from. Interesting. We will have to further investigate this Macklin fellow when time allows.

Later in the afternoon, we move on to the Elven district to sell the rugs. A bit of a surprise as half the district turns up to marvel at the rugs. Within minutes, a collection had been gathered to purchase them for a good price, paid all in gems. It seems that they turned out to be of Ressean handiwork, which is a rarity in the Islands.

Late in the day, we gathered together and headed back to Fairhill, moving as quickly as we could and arriving after dark. We go straight to Durban’s Notch to avoid questions.

Shortly thereafter, Nok arrives from a foray into Fairhill. At first he is very quiet and clearly disturbed, but will not say anything. At length, we manage to coax the matter out of him. What we hear is very alarming.

Earlier in the evening, Shandril called a community meeting. Nok hid nearby and watched the ceremony. Shandril’s magic kettle was brough forth and made to glow by her magic. One by one, the people of Fairhill came forward and laid their hands upon the kettle. As they did so, the kettle began to glow brighter and brighter. After doing this, each of them walked off looking dazed and blissful. The last two to go forward were Laurel, who was rather strongly affected by the kettle, and Baran, who appeared to be pained by the experience. They both argued with Shandril over whether this was really necessary, or was it all Shandril’s pride?

After everyone left, Shandril drew the golden light into herself and read from a scroll. A portal in the shape of the Wheel of the Four Winds appeared and a golden figure with fiery eyes stepped forth. She conversed briefly with it and it departed. After it left, Shandril collapsed.

After a short time, Kord of Kord came to collect Shandril and help her get to her house. He seemed very sad and disappointed with Shandril, telling her that it was not right to rely on the strength of others.

With this, we immediately set to rest and prepare for an early morning departure for the keep. I figured that this would be our last shot at getting to the keep before Shandril lowered the boom and took steps to ensure that we made no further forays in that direction. We had lied to and evaded her as much as we could in order to complete our mission. We needed to get it done as quickly as possible at this point.

26th Greening, 284

Just before sunrise, we gather our gear and begin to head toward the path to the Keep, only to find Shandril and Arlen sitting on the fencerow waiting for us. We paused and briefly considered heading for alternative paths, but as we had clearly been seen, there was nothing for it but to speak to them and pay the piper.

Shandril stepped forth and adamantly insisted that we not disturb the keep, boasting that she had set a guardian over it that we could not defeat. She seemed quite angry with us and was in no mood to brook any opposition. However, Leothan and I were not to be dissuaded from our mission. I explained that I was on a commission from the Scholam to retrieve Eralion’s papers. Leothan likewise drew on the responsibility of his pastoral duties to resolve the matter of the Keep. We both explained that, as long as the keep remained, it would be a danger to the people of Fairhill. A danger that we meant to put an end to, once and for all time.

Arlen then stepped to the fore, suggesting that we lie to the Scholam about Eralion’s papers, claiming that they had been destroyed. He asked that we accept Shandril’s will and not disturb the keep any further, though it appeared obvious to all of us that he was only half-hearted in this matter.

For nearly an hour we argued, discussed, persuaded and explained that we would not be dissuaded. We explored Shandril’s motives for not wanting us to go on to the keep until it was apparent why. A spark of insight on Leothan’s part (a strange ray of sunlight alighting on his head momentarily as his eyes went wide) gave the truth of it.

Shandril was afraid. She was feeling guilty. Eralion had been her lover and she was torn and distraught over what had happened to him. She was burying the truth of it from herself and the town, feeding on the assistance of all, doing everything and anything she could to avoid facing it. Leothan convinced her that the only way out of this whole mess, the only way to end it, is for her to come with us and confront Eralion’s shade. Reluctantly, she agrees.

Heading out to the keep, we saw no more evidence of Tavok and his Orcs. I don’t know if Tavok fled after our last encounter or was dealt with by Shandril’s guardian.

When we arrived, we were immediately confronted by a Jann. A tall, flaming figure that was clearly the guardian that Shandril had summoned. It stepped forth in it’s might and denied us passage. Shandril insisted that it step aside, to no avail. Once summoned, it’s purpose was clear, and Shandril now lacked the strength she had possessed the night before when summoning it.

After a short pause, Leothan, Arlen and Shandril stepped forth as one, representing the Gods, the King, and the Summoner, in that order. Proving their authority, they requested that the Jann allow us passage. Reluctantly, it agreed, but with a caveat that Shandril would face a reckoning one day for her actions. She looked quite uncomfortable at that idea. The Jann also informed us that it had “dealt with” both the defilement of the chapel and the spiders than infested the northwest tower. Whether or not that defilement included Tavok is the subject of some speculation.

Upon entering the cellar beneath the keep, Leothan placed Eralion’s amulet upon the seal on the trap door, causing it to dissolve. We moved downward by rope into a circular chamber filled with equipment and 6 armored statues. Unfortunately, once we had all arrived and begun to investigate the chambers, the “statues” sprang to life, or rather, unlife, revealing that there were in fact, Zombies hidden in the armor.

Leothan destroyed several of them with the power of his god, followed by Shandril, who turned the last few. Xilo then set about destroying the Zombies the old fashioned way while the rest of us began searching the lab equipment that filled this room. As Shandril and Arlen began rapidly rummaging through the materials, the rest of us saw that we too had better get cracking before any important papers were seized by the two of them and lost to us. Leothan and I each spotted books we gathered, while Artemis found a small wooden box. Later, Lex informed us that she had sighted Shandril pocketing a box or book of some kind.

There was a small adjoining apartment that was clearly deserted and a search turned up nothing of value or note. We poked around a bit more, since this could not possibly be the entire complex. A bit of a let-down until Nok noticed a trapdoor concealed under one of the desks. Shandril was surprised by this, saying that it wasn’t there the last time she was here, but I’m not buying it. I don’t think she’s being very honest with us at this point.

End of Session 6

petenik

First Post
Excellent stuff, as always! I've got some ideas for an Artemis journal that I'll try to flesh out and post this weekend.

"Artemis' player didn't seem to respond to anything on-line, not even e-mails."

Yeah, sorry about that. PC problems and a period that I call "the bad phase" kept me out of online commission. Hopefully I'm getting at least a little better regarding emails and such :(

Remove ads