Mor's End Craft & Trade Submissions

wizardoftheplains

First Post
Amorphius' Clayworks

Amorphius Stanglure is a tall, long-limbed figure who spends most of his days outside his shop mixing varied colored clays together to get just the right shades of azure, crimson, and veridian for the uniquely styled vases he fashions for the wealthy of the city. Known for their assymetrical form and brilliant (somewhat hypnotic) glaze patterns, these urns bring a high price within Mor's End and are especially popular with outgoing carravan leaders who can command enormous sums for them in far off kingdoms.

Somewhere in his mid-fourties, the dark-haired glazer rarely looks up from his mixing vats and wheel, but when he does, one notices a far off look in his sea green eyes, as if he sees into a world other than our own. Stanglure lives with a halfling helper, Pars, who can be seen scurrying about constantly monitoring the multiple kilns arrayed in the potter's work yard.

Amorphius Stanglure, Potter, human male Sor 6 (stat block later)
Pars Nimblefoot, Potter, halfling male Rog 4 (stat block later)

Plothooks:
1. Amorphius never seems to sleep and the glow from his kilns can be seen at all hours of the night. He is said to only apply his glazes in the dead of night, in a ritual only he and his servant know. Recently, a thief was found by the city watch in a nearby ally, visibly shaken and clutching a pottery shard in one hand. He refuses to speak of what happened...
2. A noble has been found dead witin her house. No sign of foul play was present, but she did recently receive a package containing a rare Stanglure Vase which is now missing. Or so her ex-serving maid says...
3. Stanglure is said to get his special clays from a secret source beneath the city, but the other potters dismiss this as fancy. Still, if one were to locate the source of his clays, the other claywrights in the town would pay handsomely...
4. Every new moon, Stanglure closes his shop and disappears for three days. No one has ever found out where he goes, but always upon his return, he seems full of energy and more youthful in his appearance...

Last edited:

GladiusNP

First Post
Inn.
Keovan’s Restaurant and Lodging House.

Lee Keovan is a young man who has established his reputation at a very tender age. From ‘somewhere up north’ according to most of Mor End’s inhabitants, Keovan arrived at Mor’s End with a manservant, two horses, and a strongbox.

Within a fortnight, he had opened up his restaurant, in one of the more expensive streets in town. The food was excellent, but Lee’s efforts went largely unnoticed until he developed his recipe for ‘silk-fish sauce steaks’ (see below), which immediately caught on. Within two weeks, Castellan Stangus himself had dined at Keovan’s Restaurant and Lodging House, and Keovan has never looked back. Though primarily a restaurant, Keovan also has a wing of rooms available for hire – newly built with profits from the roaring dinner trade.

Lee’s actual background remains very mysterious. Some speculate that he is a criminal running from some secret crime, others believe he is the black sheep of a noble family. No one knows the truth, save for his manservant, Baroch – and the half-orc is a mute. (Baroch, Lee’s massive manservant, is actually the one who does all of the cooking – Lee just says he’s the chef, mainly to shield Baroch from fame).

Lee works at the door of his restaurant, seating customers. He dresses in very dapper, well-cut silk clothes, usually in blue, white, and silver. He is slim, black-haired, and quite polite, rarely showing any sort of emotion. On his left hand, a small sapphire ring encircles his index finger. His style, aristocratic manners, and excellent way with people has caused many of the wealthy elite of the city to become regulars.

The restaurant itself is a marvel. The entrance hall floor is a circular mosaic of a silk-fish, worked in blue, green, aqua and white shards of pottery, and glazed over to form a smooth surface. Blue silk scarves hang from the centre of the domed ceiling down to the top of the walls, which are white and grey marble. A small desk, which Lee usually sits behind, sits at the far end from the entrance doors, in front of two curtains of silver silk.

The dining area is a floor of fine polished granite, with blue painted walls and fine, white oak tables. Serving staff move quietly about, serving from the finest pottery available in Mor’s End. All of the dishes are very pleasant – and quite expensive (8 sp to 2 gold for a main course). Beer is not for sale, and wine is sold, but only by the bottle. Rooms are also on the pricey side, making this one of the more expensive places to stay in the city – though they are luxuriously fitted out, and boast complete room service.

(Note: The actual ‘secret ingredient’ in silk-fish sauce is chilli powder from the south – though Lee encourages the false rumor that it’s actually the toxin that silk-fish secrete, cooked into harmlessness.)

Lee Keovan, Male Human Aristocrat 3: HD 3d8; hp 17; init +2; speed 30 ft; AC 12 (+2 Dex); Melee +5 (Rapier 1d6, 18-20/x2); AL Lawful Neutral; saves F - +1, R - +3, W- +4; STR 10, DEX 14, CON 11, INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 15.
Skills: Diplomacy +8, Gather Information +8, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +8, Ride +8, Sense Motive +7, Perform +8.
Feats: Weapon Finesse (rapier), Skill Focus (Diplomacy), Weapon Focus (rapier).

Plot Hooks –

Lee’s recipe for silk fish sauce has been stolen – Keovan wants the PC’s to find out who took it. Alternatively, the PCs are hired to steal the recipe.

Keovan’s is holding a large engagement party (Possibly for one of Lady Kelvin’s graddaughters?), and the party is to provide security – and prevent the young couple from spending too much time alone.

Rumors are spreading about Lee Keovan – the PC’s are to find out who he really is.

Lee also makes a useful springboard to get PC’s into the city of Mor’s End. His family might send the party to check up on him, or they might even want him kidnapped to bring back.

Baroch, Chef and Trapper, Male Half-orc Expert 5: HD 5d6; hp 21; init 0; speed 30 ft; AC 10; Melee +5 (Fists 1d3+2, 20/x2); AL Neutral; saves F - +1, R - +1, W- +4; STR 15, DEX 11, CON 11, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8.
Class Skills; Profession (Cook) +13, Handle Animal +7, Wilderness Lore +11, Climb +10, Craft (Trap-making) +5, Swim +6, Spot +11, Listen +11.
Feats; Skill Focus (Cook), Track.

Baroch is a former trapper. The exact details of how he meet Lee aren’t known to the general inhabitants of Mor’s End. Nevertheless, the half-orc is very loyal to Lee, and his skill at cooking has been a huge factor in the success of ‘Keovan’s Restaurant and Lodging House.’ He is mute, but uses a sign language with Lee and the apprentice cooks. He usually wears a clean white apron, and plain tan pants, and usually goes shirtless. He stays out of sight most of the time, few of the guests ever see him in trading hours. He is always in his kitchen when the restaurant is open – lifting huge cauldrons of sauce, turning the spit, and directing the other workers through gestures.

(P.S. I left Lee and Baroch vague so DM’s could attach a background to foreign nobility in their campaign – I could detail more if you all wish.)

{Edit- clarity in expression}

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Good work, Gladius! Note though, that silk-fish are actually small jellyfish, so they don't have any flesh that could be made into steaks. On the other hand, steak with silk-fish sauce would work, and wouldn't require you to change anything. The sauce could be as you said.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Mother Hekba's
Apothecary

Mother Hekba is the last surviving member of the Grikkir tribe. Once a vast power in the area, they tribe was slaughtered by mercenaries about 20 years ago. Making quick her escape, she came to the city of Mor's End and set up shop as a somwhat unothodox apothecary. Not only do people come to her for more mundane remedies, she also dabbles in magical cures and fixes, and is rumored to place curses on people for the right price.

In actuality, Mother Hekba can't curse anyone outright, but she doesn't let the people who pay her know that. She's very cunning, and plays up to the idea of being a mystical, dangerous individual. People entering her shop are assaulted by strange sights and smells, most of which is pure showmanship on Hekba's part. Her cures are real, however, whethre it's ointments for poison ivy or silkfish stings, or more magican brews.

Plot hooks
Using her guise of cursing a party member, Mother Hekba forces the party to obtain some live silkfish. Given the protection these rare jellyfish have, that won't be an easy task.

Mother Hekba needs the party to deliver a satchel of potions to a group of hobgoblin mercenaries in the mountains. She can guarantee their safety, and will pay them well, although they may find themselves in trouble with the city if they're discovered.

Hekba has become the target of a curse herself. Confiding in the party that she has little knowledge about actual curses, she pleads with them to help cure her.

Mother Hekba, female hobgoblin Adp5: CR 4; ECL 5; Medium-size Humanoid (goblinoid); HD 5d6+5; hp 22; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 11 (+1 Dex); Melee unarmed strike -1 (1d3-1); SA spells; SQ darkvision 60 ft, raven familiar; AL N; SV Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +7; Str 8, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Alchemy +4, Heal +6, Knowledge(arcana) +3, Scry +4, Spellcraft +4; Brew Potion, Craft Wonderous Item.

Adept Spells Prepared (3/3/2):

Equipment: 2 of every potion 300gp or less, 10 healing salves (as CLW potion).

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
The Mor's End coinage is as follows:

Shield (platinum piece)
Hammer (gold piece)
Sword (electrum piece)
Dagger (silver piece)
Knife (copper piece)

David Argall--You're correct that I need to add brothels and a public bath. I'll edit the main post tonight. Boarding houses I'm not so sure about. I think these were a much later concept. But I'll investigate. If you know of a source that talks about medieval boarding houses, point it out to me, pretty please!

And generally, if you think there is some sort of business that I've forgotten, mention it here, and I'll add it to the master list at the start of this thread.

Tallow

First Post
Cattle Ranches

Buttercup,

I've already emailed you on this, and you suggested I send a write up for Cattle Ranches. I am in the process of cogitating on exactly what I want to write up. But first I need to coordinate several things with other ministers and on things currently already developed.

Items I need to know:

Cows or Sheep? Its been indicated to me that the "cattle" aren't really cows, but large sheep.

Location of Ranches? I am unsure as to exactly how much territory/land and where this land is located. I was thinking something in the thousands of acres per ranch, and having two or three large like this, and then two or three smaller ones with herds no larger than 200 to 300 head.

Political Clout? Not sure if they are just guys out on the range, or if the Ranch owners are going to be politically powerful.

Some of these questions belong in other threads of course, and nobody has officially asked me to design all aspects of the cattle ranches, but I think that some coordination will ultimately be important.

Andy Christian

Wippit Guud

First Post
This one is a bit different...

Natural Remedies
Apothecary

Run by a young woman named Angelinda Weaver, Natural Remedies offers a wide variety of mundane medicines and potions for those who lack the funds for magical healing. Although she does have a little knowledge in the making of potions, her specialties are using the natural properties of various plants and animals in her recipies. During the morning hours, she can be seen outside the city in various places, whether it be the hillside, the swamps, or even on the lake. After the noon meal, she can be found in her modest store, brewing herbal teas and medicines.

Plot Hooks
Angelinda left to wander the swamps, as she does every 3 or 4 days, but it's well after noon and she's not back. Her apprentice, who watches the store while she's away, is worried and has hired the party to find her.

Various murder victims about the city have contained a strange liquid in the wound areas. To the party's surprise, it's a special anti-coagulant Angelinda has developed for people with blood problems. The party needs to talk to her and discover who may be buying the application, or even worse, if someone stole the secret to how it's made.

Angelinda Weaver, female human Adp2/Drd1: CR 2; ECL 3; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 2d6+1d8+3; hp 14; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 13 (+2 leather, +1 Dex); Melee sickle +1 (1d6); SA spells; SQ nature sense, cat familiar; AL NG; SV Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +7; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 11.

Skills and Feats: Alchemy +3, Craft(medicine) +7, Heal +6, Intuit Directoin +3, Knowledge(nature) +6, Listen +4, Spot +4, Swim +1, Wilderness Lore +10, ; Alertness, Brew Potion, Skill Focus(Wilderness Lore).

Adept Spells Prepared (3/2): Cure minor wounds (x2), mending; Cure light wounds (x2)

Druid Spells Prepared (3/2): Detect poison (x2), Purify food and drink; Animal friendship (x2)

Equipment: Masterwork leather armor, masterwork sickle, various potions.

Specific remedies:
Anti-Coagulent: Angelinda harvests the saliva from giant leeches that populate the swamps. This she turns into a liquid that prevents blood clotting, which is used to help people who may have been poisoned or have blood sickness.

In game: Anyone suffering from injected poison can apply this to their wounds. They take 1 point of subdual damage per minute for 5 minutes as the infected blood drains. This bleeding reduces poison duration by 10%. If the anti-coagulant is applied to a slashing or piercing weapon, the increased dose plus the deeper penetration acts a a weapon of wounding for 5 rounds. The dose is only good for 1 attack.
Cost: 5 gp

Silkfish remedy: Through the use of her animal friendship spell, Angelinda can harvest the poisoous spines of the silkfish without removing the tentacles. She uses this to create an anti-toxin specifically for combatting silkfish poison.

In game: If this is taken after being stung, it dulls out the pain, and prevents the secondary damage from taking affect (affected people still suffer the dex loss, it just doesn't hurt as much).
Cost: 5 gp

Aaron Cooke (apprentice), male human Com1: CR 1/4; ECL 1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4+1; hp 3; Init -1; Spd 30 ft; AC 9 (-1 Dex); Melee dagger +0 (1d4/crit 19-20); Ranged dagger -1 (1d4/crit 19-20); AL NG; SV Fort +1, Ref -1, Will +1; Str 11, Dex 9, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Craft Medicine +4, Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +1, Wilderness Lore +7 ; Skill Focus(Wilderness Lore), Alertness.

Equipment: dagger.

Wippit Guud

First Post
Just a couple of generics...

Generic Baker, female human Com1: CR 1/4; ECL 1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4+1; hp 3; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 11 (+1 Dex); Melee club +0 (1d6); Ranged club +1 (1d6); AL NG; SV Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +0; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Profession(baker) +6, Craft(household) +2, Listen +2; Skill Focus(Profession).

-----

Generic Baker, female human Com1: CR 1/4; ECL 1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4+1; hp 3; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 11 (+1 Dex); Melee club +0 (1d6); Ranged club +1 (1d6); AL NG; SV Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +0; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 10.

Skills and Feats: Profession(baker) +6, Craft(household) +4; Skill Focus(Profession).

-----

Generic Tavern Wench, female human Com1: CR 1/4; ECL 1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4; hp 2; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 11 (+1 Dex); Melee unarmed strike +0 (1d3); AL NG; SV Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +0; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Listen +5, Profession(tavern) +2, Spot +5; Alertness.

-----

Generic Ropemaker, male human Com1: CR 1/4; ECL 1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 1d4; hp 2; Init +1; Spd 30 ft; AC 11 (+1 Dex); Melee unarmed strike +0 (1d3); AL NG; SV Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +0; Str 10, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Craft(rope) +4, Use Rope +7; Skill Focus: Use Rope.

Remove ads