• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mortal Superhero? Name some...

baileyrecords

First Post
I confess... I like Marvel Comics the best... which often times limits my scope of superhero characters. So, I have a simple question for all you Hero fans...

Please give me a comprehensive list of Comic Book Heroes & Villians that are characters considered "superheroes" yet have no unearthly or superhuman powers or mutations.

The best examples I can think of...

Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, The Punisher.

Is there anyone else? Regardless of their Universe (DC or Marvel or Indie).

Thanks!

- Stratos

ps: what makes these characters so great?

Von Ether

Legend
Hmm, this is tricky because a lot of Pulp era heroes have been adapted to comic books at one time or another, Tarzan, John Carter, Doc Savage, etc.

Though I do remember a DC hero,Manhunter, who an skilled bounty hunter who used a mask and baton powered by the alien tech of the Manhunter robots.

Last edited:

baileyrecords

First Post
Von Ether said:
Hmm, this is tricky because a lot of Pulp era heroes have been adapted to comic books at one time or another, Tarzan, John Carter, Doc Savage, etc.

Though I do remember a DC hero,Manhunter, who an skilled bounty hunter who used a mask and baton powered by the alien tech of the Manhunter robots.

Ok, let's limit the scope to "Superheroes" and "Supervillians" along the lines of Justice League and The Avengers... and leave the Tarzans, the Pokemons, and such out of this discussion (thanks for your input though).

I've heard of Doc Savage but don't know much about him. I'll do the research. As for Manhunter... if he has alien tech, I don't wanna know about him because it sounds like that is his crutch. I want pureblood Earthling Humans that have become costumed crusaders or marauders!

Thanks, Stratos

C. Baize

First Post
Captain America, Hawkeye, Black Cat (in her original form, before she got super hero powers), Iron Man (sort of... He's just a guy in a suit of armor), Bucky Barnes (Cap's sidekick in WW2, but he was killed), Elektra, Black Knight, Kraven the Hunter, Dr. Strange (by a technicality... he has no super powers, he studied magic), Dr. Doom (by the same technicality) ...
I think Batroc....
Hmmm... That's all I can think of at the moment... Though I could always pull my old Marvel Super Heroes stuff off the shelf and thumb through it.

Last edited:

Werther von G

First Post
It's tricky, because certain characters have been retroactively "given" superpowers by some authors and then had them summarily removed by others once they became inconvenient. I'm going to go with characters who were defined as "mortal men (and women" at their creation.

Martial Artist Types: Shang-Chi, Moon Knight, Lady Shiva, Huntress
Weapon-Users: Green Arrow, Hawkeye
Supersoldiers: Nick Fury
Masterminds: most of Batman's classic rogues -- the Joker, the Riddler, Two-Face... none of these guys have any powers to speak of. Lex Luthor.

Good for a start?

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Captain America has a chemical origin ("Super Soldier Serum") as a "normal" he was a total feeb.

I think you can add Garth Ennis' Hitman to the list.

Rorschach, Night Owl, Silk Spectre, Hooded Justiceand The Comedian from The Watchmen all come to mind (in fact, everyopne except Dr. Manhattan in The Watchmen is a skiiled normal person).

Last edited:

baileyrecords

First Post
Wow! Thanks everyone! I never imagined the list was so long!

What about Cap and his Super Solider serum?! That's sort of a mutation or supernatural ability, right? I mean, he is immortal now - right?

Pulp characters such as Doc Savage... http://thepulp.net <-- a great source!

- Stratos!

Krieg

First Post
The Yeoman from the Wild Cards books.

Vietnam Vet, family murdered, becomes masked bow-wielding vigilante...you know the usual. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads