• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most memorable moment in D&D

Chris Markham

Villager
Sometimes, just a routine town visit can be fun. At this point, my character was a high level Cleric/Mage (and a rather infamous pirate, but known to be generous to my crew). Another player, was a high level Red Wizard of Thay.

We went into this tobacco shop, and and the owner recognized me (his boy was a big fan of mine, and had a toy model of my flagship), and gave me a great deal on a custom pipe. The same owner, however, despised the Red Wizards, and told him to get out of his shop. Of course, this enraged the wizard (mostly the player), lol. He summoned an Earth Elemental, right up from the floor of the shop! I mean, really...who does this kind of thing?

I nonchalantly put up some kind of protective dome around the shop-owner (and his terrified little boy) (and unknown at the time to the wizard). I then dismissed the elemental, and calmed down my wizard friend. I got my pipe for free, and also got my friend to leave a good pile of gold on the counter, to pay for the shop damages.

Can't remember exactly what happened, but another exchange between the wizard and the shop keeper (he felt a bit bolder knowing I wasn't going to let anything happen to him)....and the wizard was about to take his money back.

I used a Gust of Wind spell to blow the money into the street. Where many rushed to pick it all up. So, here's this 15th level wizard, running out into the street to gather up about 500gp....!!! I mean, c'mon, it's chump change.

I ended up taking the guy's kid on as a cabin boy (and paying him myself for the damages). That wizard's player and I often had this kind of rivalry as players for numerous campaigns, LOL.

My players very recently encountered an enchanted kitchen where all the food was animated, and shouted alarm. One of the players took a talking Cauliflower with him, which he'll now throw randomly at enemies to distract and confuse them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Too bad it wasn’t a ham. Then you could do Master Thespian shtick.
acting.jpg

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
- 1980? I borrowed a character from a friend. The group opened a door and found an altar dedicated to Thor, who the character worshipped. I said "I do a reverence." The statue threw a hammer at us and ... hits me. I now have 1 HP. The next PC says "I disbelieve in you!" POOF - gone. I didn't know that Potions of Healing were a thing, and thought my friend was going to get on me for getting his character almost-killed.

- 4e LFR module at a convention. The table is played by 4 adults and 2 kids (ages 8-12). The group is doing really well until we face a portal that sucks stuff into the Abyss. The Avenger and Cleric manage to use divine power to break it; my Star'Lock uses Intimidate to slam it shut. I was feeling quite proud of myself! Then I realized that both kids' characters had been sucked through the portal on their turns. OH … NOES. What Have I Done? There was a DM mechanism to prevent losing characters that way, but I didn't know that. I tried to make penance in my character's blood the rest of the module (but survived anyways).

- 5e. HotDQ. After some passive-aggressive PvP involving an IRL boyfriend/girlfriend pair, my Paladin spent 90 minutes of IRL time saving the GF's Rogue from drowning. It was sort of my fault; I had just encouraged the Rogue to open a treasure chest but she set off a curse/trap instead. The curse made her run back to a lake, jump in, swim for the bottom, and stay there. I jumped in after her (with a rope tied around my full-plate-wearing self) to grab her and have everybody else haul us back up.

- 5e again. DM'ing Tiamat now, I played Arauthator as the group attacked him in his lair. I amp'ed him up - Ancient White Dragon with max everything you should roll dice on. The first round, our Ranger got a crit with an Arrow of Dragon Slaying - there go ALL the extra HP ! By Combat Round Three I had half the group making Death Saves. Then somebody woke up the Bard, who raised a Staff of Healing and smashed it down on the ground. (From then on, it would be a mixed Staff of Healing and Frost.) There were enough healing HP floating around to full-heal the entire group (8 PCs?) and Arauthator, had I wanted to. Three Combat Rounds later, they slew him as he retreated out of the chamber.
IRL time: 3 hours 30 minutes. In-game time: one minute.

Les Moore

Explorer
The Kobolds VS the Gnomes. They were evenly matched, for the most part. We were faced with being the deciding force, in a confrontation between
two enemies. We had nothing to lose, picking a side. We smashed the Gnome Boss, luckily, and for many sessions, we had Kobold minions at our back.

Remove ads