• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most Missed Defunct Gaming Magazines?

Eremite

Explorer
Pegasus by Judges Guild.

I just remember this really cool (for the time) adventure called The Black Ring set on some islands. One of the great encounters involved golems with the spellcasting abilities of magic-users and clerics, something that was radical at the time.

DMAndrew

First Post
I always really like Challenge. They did mostly sci-fi adventures, but also had CoC in there occasionally as well. Plot-wise, I found most of the adventures were decent enough that I could use them regardless of the system that I was running, except for the Star Wars ones (they almost all required at least one Jedi character in the group).

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Eremite said:
Pegasus by Judges Guild.

I just remember this really cool (for the time) adventure called The Black Ring set on some islands. One of the great encounters involved golems with the spellcasting abilities of magic-users and clerics, something that was radical at the time.

Yeah the Judges Guild Magazine went threough a bunch of name changes of the years... Dungeoneer, Dungeoneer's Journal, pegasus... I think there was one more but I don't remember it.

Challenge was another one I had forgotten. Not bad 'tall 'tall. I still miss GDW.

The Auld Grump

Last edited:

TheEldereye

First Post
The General. It was published to support Avalon Hill Board Games - it was great with variant rules, new counters, replays. Excellent magazine. When they went out of business in the late 1990's I bought up a ton from them for $1 a piece. I'll have to 2nd the mention of Star Wars Gamer - it had some excellent stuff, we had a great time with the Bespin adventure as a follow up to the old d6 Tatooine Manhunt adventure.

Psion

Adventurer
Traveller's Digest / MegaTraveller journal.

No mag for any game that I have owned was as cover-to-cover useful.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi ya-

I miss THE DRAGON too, the new version is just sterile and lacks any spark of life.
The old white dwarf rocked, I used to love the fiend factory and the waird D&D adventures they used to publish.

Yes I remember the old General, some great Advanced Squad Leader scenario's appeared in those pages. I still play ASL, a fantastic tactical wargame indeed.

Scott

Last edited:

HiLiphNY

Explorer
The Adventurers Club

This was a quarterly rag for the Champions players out there - it was absolutely fabulous, but was often never published on time. . .sound familliar?

grodog

Hero
The Dragon, Different Worlds (to buy your favorite back issues, see our site in my .sig), White Wolf, Arcane, and Polyhedron to a lesser extend: I really liked the general-interest gaming magazines the most....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads