Most Needed Minis

jgsugden

Legend
For those of you that use minis, I'd be curious to hear what Minis you lament not having... either because a good one has never been made, the only good one is old and expensive, or you just have not picked it up...

For me (and I have a vast collection):

* PCs with polearms (there are very few minis out there with a good polearm for a weapon - especially amongst prepainted minis)

* (Huge) Giant Ape - a Polymorph favorite (although there are easy stand-ins)

* Huge Water Elemental - I know there is one coming up, but it will be so expensive to get 5... and you need to be able to summon 5 huge elementals, right?

* Gargantuan Red and Green Dragons - I have blue, white, black... but not green or red.

* Locathah.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Umber Hulks (I prefer the old fat versions)
Owl Bear (same reason, I prefer the older more bulkier version)
Used to be PCs with polearms, but there have been a lot of new additions in that regard so it's less of an issue now
Cave Fisher
Aspis drones
mounted evil humanoids (goblins on wolves, etc)

But what I really miss? Where those progressive adventure sets by I think Ral Partha. Where it was a package of 3 minis all of the same PC, but at different levels of equipment. a low, medium, and high level version of them.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
City/Town watch/guard with crossbows

Cheap commoners (cheaper than rusty dragon inn)

Cheap plastic Yuan-Ti

Crocodiles

A spiffing (reasonably priced) Beholder

Displacer Beasts that are not invisible.

A decent Mummy

I don't mind paying for mini's but embellishment seems just so expensive.

jgsugden

Legend
all the stuff I made up
That might be a fun thread - Post a description of the monster you made up and see if people have suggestions for a mini for it...

I usually go the other way - I see a cool mini and then make a monster up that embodies the mini (My Axemorph Demons based upon the Dreamscape minis are terrifying to my player groups - They're the ultimate brutes). I've been looking at my Rising Sun minis and pondering a few of them as new monsters, as well.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Kobold with a bazooka.

Gnoll with a top hat and monocle

Bugbear that looks like the hairy creature Bugs Bunny fought on Mars that one time.

Goblins holding branches in front of them thinking it makes them invisible (5 different poses)

Lizardfolk with a wooden shield with a big bite out of it.

ccs

41st lv DM
The mini I want is the Dancing Hut as depicted in Paizos Reign of Winter AP

RPG-PF _ IMAGE _ Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga {PZO9250 Artifacts & Legends}.png
But they don't make this exact model.

I also want this from the mid-late '80s:
juggernaut01.png
It's the Dwarven Juggernaught, a steam driven tank for Warhammer Fantasy Battle, 1e or maybe 2e.
That it's waaay expensive now days is not the hurdle. No, the hurdle is that I simply don't trust the Ebayers not to be selling me a poorly re-cast one.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Umber Hulks (I prefer the old fat versions)
But what I really miss? Where those progressive adventure sets by I think Ral Partha. Where it was a package of 3 minis all of the same PC, but at different levels of equipment. a low, medium, and high level version of them.

Yep - the Ral Partha 01-3XX 3 Stage Player Characters... (Most of them are still in production by Iron Wind Metals, btw)

I like how the unpainted plastic Wizkids Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures come with a high and low level figure, but you really need three of them to make it look like a progression instead of just two different figures.

Hobgoblins - considering that they're supposed to be among the smartest and toughest of the Medium-sized humanoids, and thus a viable threat for quite a number of levels, there just aren't a hell of a lot of hobgoblin minis out there... And most of them are metal.
Ral Partha did a set of three for their old official AD&D line, there are two metal WotC hobgoblins and (four?) plastic ones out of all the sets of WotC prepaints, Reaper has a few modern-sized ones...

Just less expensive ones, I find the prices (at least in Australia) to expensive to justify buying more than a few for PCs once they survive a level or two.

Remove ads