Most Needed Minis

pogre

Legend
Hobgoblins - considering that they're supposed to be among the smartest and toughest of the Medium-sized humanoids, and thus a viable threat for quite a number of levels, there just aren't a hell of a lot of hobgoblin minis out there... And most of them are metal.
Ral Partha did a set of three for their old official AD&D line, there are two metal WotC hobgoblins and (four?) plastic ones out of all the sets of WotC prepaints, Reaper has a few modern-sized ones...

Agree on the hobgoblins. I'm not fond of most of he sculpts out there either. My favorites are Jason Wiebe's sculpts from Reaper, but I'm not big on the rest of the Reaper line hobgoblins.

A friend gave me a ton of the WOTC pre-painted hobgoblins. I repainted a couple, but again, not great sculpts.

The old GW hobgoblins with the stupid hats are some of the worst.

Most of the Hobgoblin illustrations have some sort of asian-influenced armor look including the current Monster Manual.

My solution is to buy a set of Old Glory Samurai - 30 miniatures in white metal for $36. Add fangs and bigger ears and paint up a whole regiment of hobgoblins that would look better than anything currently on the market!

Maialideth

Explorer
The mini I want is the Dancing Hut as depicted in Paizos Reign of Winter AP

View attachment 98198
But they don't make this exact model.

I also want this from the mid-late '80s:
View attachment 98199
It's the Dwarven Juggernaught, a steam driven tank for Warhammer Fantasy Battle, 1e or maybe 2e.
That it's waaay expensive now days is not the hurdle. No, the hurdle is that I simply don't trust the Ebayers not to be selling me a poorly re-cast one.

Reaper Minis are releasing a Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut "mini" for their Bones line next year. It was part of the last kickstarter.
DFweLdGW0AMpZ0M.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see halflings that aren't rogues... halfling barbarian or bard or monk. And because we're currently playing Curse of Strahd, I could use a giant goat.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yep - the Ral Partha 01-3XX 3 Stage Player Characters... (Most of them are still in production by Iron Wind Metals, btw)

I like how the unpainted plastic Wizkids Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures come with a high and low level figure, but you really need three of them to make it look like a progression instead of just two different figures.

Hobgoblins - considering that they're supposed to be among the smartest and toughest of the Medium-sized humanoids, and thus a viable threat for quite a number of levels, there just aren't a hell of a lot of hobgoblin minis out there... And most of them are metal.
Ral Partha did a set of three for their old official AD&D line, there are two metal WotC hobgoblins and (four?) plastic ones out of all the sets of WotC prepaints, Reaper has a few modern-sized ones...

Oh yeah, how could I forget hobgoblins. A million orcs and goblins, but I was looking for hobo minis the other day and there were hardly any. Reaper just did some more (thank god), but still not a very big selection. I've been painting my armored orcs in hobgoblin flesh until now lol

Draegn

Explorer
I make my own minis, I simply have a problem with finding sewing patterns. I also alter existing plushy toys into other things.

One pattern I have found.

https://smallwork.com/dragon-patterns.html

new-Cloth-Art-dragon-Pattern-Fabric-Sculpture.jpg

An alteration for this one is to change the eye and add other eyes to make a beholder.

91g4kWWKplL._SY550_.jpg

My players and I also print off fantasy art characters, cut them out and glue them to stiff crafting paper to use as minis.

jgsugden

Legend
Just less expensive ones, I find the prices (at least in Australia) to expensive to justify buying more than a few for PCs once they survive a level or two.
If you do not care that much about quality, the best options are:

1.) Used board games - I've spent $3 on a board games that had 40 fantasy appropriate minis.
2.) Tube of figures - there are a lot of cheap plastic figures of skeletons, zombies, animals, insects, dinosaurs, etc... It is not hard to find 20 for less than $10.

Some people have also mined old message boards for the D&D Miniatures games to look for people that used to collect, but do not seem active any longer. I've had a few people email me and ask if I was looking to sell my old minis collection on the cheap (which I did/do/will not want to do...).

A few years ago I participated in a challenge to build the best minis collection for $100. I ended up with over 300 minis, including many PCs, 2 dragons (large and huge), giants, ogres, demons, devils, orcs, skeletons, goblins, animals, etc.... I felt like I could have played great games using those minis... but I lost to other people that did much better.

aco175

Legend
I always need more goblins and skeletons, and giant rats. Maybe a dozen of each is a good fight. I also like to have 2-3 different versions of each. This way I can have the basic and a leader or caster with them.

A player of mine started to collect paper minis and can print out as many as we need. They work good for the monsters and NPCs, but for PCs we like to have a real figure.

ccs

41st lv DM
Reaper Minis are releasing a Baba Yaga's Dancing Hut "mini" for their Bones line next year. It was part of the last kickstarter.
View attachment 98208

Yes, thanks, I know about it. And 3 other takes on the Hut + my own scratch built one. My wish though isn't for a Dancing Hut model, but for a specific version of it. Refer back to the picture to see what I want. So until they make that one, it'll remain on the wish list.

Sacrosanct

Legend
When ToA came out, I realized the significant lack of dinosaur varieties. Many I could find toys of, but it was hard to find them to scale. Especially velociraptors

Remove ads