• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most powerful feat ever?

s-dub

First Post
Combat Brute

If I read it correctly, it could allow a Frenzied Berzerker to make 2 handed power attacks at a 5 dmg/1 attack ration =P

"Most powerful" can mean different things depending on the build, and how much work you're willing to put in to exploit it. Greenbound Summoning is probably the simplest feat to abuse. Leadership can give you a lot more power, but will require effort on the part of the player (and help from the DM).

Improved Combat Expertise, from 3.0's Sword and Fist (and a number of other sources), removed the +/- 5 restriction from Combat Expertise (now just Expertise). Not amazingly broken in the "kill them and take their stuff" way, but by far the most powerful feat there is if you're trying to maximize AC. Combine with All Power Attack All the Time for best results.

The unerrataed 3.0 Quicker than the Eye (from Song and Silence) granted you a free standard action if you threatened an enemy that was denied their dex bonus to AC. This meant that if you carried a blind kobold in your backpack, you got the effect of a continual 3.0 Haste. Very nasty. It was later changed to only grant a free attack against the enemy who was denied their dex bonus.

Divine Metamagic from Complete Divine can be extremely powerful if you work for it. It allows a cleric to burn turning attempts to use metamagic feats instead of using a higher spell slot. The problem is that it doesn't limit the maximum spell level equivalent to the maximum spell level you can cast, which opens up access to things like Persistent Divine Might. There were a number of psionic feats that had this problem as well, but IIRC they were all fixed in errata.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Brew's top 5 most powerful (some may be broken) feats~

5) Natural Spell - every Druid has this feat. And why not? Werebear form & nukage? Sweet!
4) Power Attack - every Str-focused character in the game has this feat, and for good reason.
3) Greenbound Summoning - Uber Druidic Summoning for no penalty other than one feat slot and having to refactor the stats on all of your summons? Deal!
2) Arcane Thesis & Divine Metamagic - tied for 2nd - by Raw, these feats both allow you to cast meta-spells way over 9th level.
1) Leadership (PHB) / Undead Leadership (Libris Mortis)- The Leaderships only take the #1 slot cause your cohort could very well have all of these feats... not to mention that a second character for free is pretty powerful.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Divine Metamagic.

One of the few things in the game that I think is actually broken as written, though a houserule fix is quite easy to make it fine (just the same language they used in Metamagic Song, which is something like "You cannot use this feat to add metamagic feats that would make the spell's effective level higher than the highest level of spell that you can cast normally").

brehobit

Explorer
  • Greenbound is clearly the winner IMO. Nothing comes even close. It puts the popular augment summoning to shame in a big way, and has fewer prereqs.
  • Divine metamagic can be huge, but as long as you remove persistent spell it's not _that_ overpowering at levels I play (1-7 or so). (Oh no nightsticks either). Powerful, but not in the greenbound range that I've seen.
  • Leadership can be huge if the DM let's the player design the follower AND the player abuses that.
  • Natural spell and power attack are both very powerful, and I find natural spell a bit overwhelming. I don't really have a problem with power attack, although I'd prefer that the damage multiplier be 1.5x rather than 2x for two handed weapons.
  • The weapon mastery feats are also very powerful. Very very powerful.
So order assuming a DM imposes "reasonable" order on leadership: Greenbound summoning, Natural spell, weapon mastery, power attack, divine metamagic, leadership.

Can anyone show me an abuse of divine metamagic that is really unreasonable without nightsticks or persistent spell? Sure casting 2 spells a day as a swift action is quite powerful, but you are talking about needing 2 feats to pull that off and 8 turning attempts (so probably a third feat and a CHR of 14+). Eh.

Last edited:

Bad Paper

First Post
Drowbane said:
4) Power Attack - every Str-focused character in the game has this feat, and for good reason.
meh. My barbarian has it, but now that I picked up the Book of Nine Swords, none of the characters I designed (six so far) has taken Power Attack.

Nail

First Post
Bad Paper said:
meh. My barbarian has it, but now that I picked up the Book of Nine Swords, none of the characters I designed (six so far) has taken Power Attack.

...that probably says more about ToB:Bo9S than it does about Power Attack.... :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads