• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Most powerful feat ever?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Brace Cormaeril said:
You can subtract from your attack roll for expertise and power attack simultaeneously?

You can take a penalty to your attack rolls up to your BAB with Power Attack. You can take a penalty to your attack rolls up to your BAB (max 5) with Combat Expertise.

So if you have a BAB of +4, there's nothing stopping you taking a -4 penalty for Power Attack, and a -4 penalty for Combat Expertise, for a total of a -8 penalty to attack rolls, a +4 to AC, and a +4 (or +8) to damage rolls.

-Hyp.

boolean

Explorer
blargney the second said:
The above would most certainly not fly in any of our games.
Would you disallow using both feats simultaneously? Or would you allow using both, but limit the total penalty by the character's BAB?

Kat'

First Post
Why, in fact? I mean, the guy suffers a penalty equal to up to twice his BAB for those benefits; why shouldn't he be able to do it?

I like Power Attack->Leap Attack->Deep Impact->Battle Jump
Throw in Raptor School, Leap of the Heavens and Mental Leap.

Replace Deep Impact by Shock Trooper, throw in Combat Brute and be a Goliath with Knockback (Goliath's racial ability more or less duplicates Leap of the Heavens).

Thurbane

First Post
Brace Cormaeril said:
You can subtract from your attack roll for expertise and power attack simultaeneously?
It's a nice trick in the ToEE PC game once you get Fragarach, the sword that NEVER misses. :p

Stratovarius

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Saw a 3rd party book with Ranged Power Attack for archers - that was potentially unceccesarily silly. (Mongoose, I think?)

The Peerless Archer prestige class from the Silver Marches book grants this. It's called Power Shot. Level 2 of the class, maybe. Fairly obscure book though.

Elemmakil

First Post
Stratovarius said:
The Peerless Archer prestige class from the Silver Marches book grants this. It's called Power Shot. Level 2 of the class, maybe. Fairly obscure book though.
Oh, that's not obscure on the WotC optimization boards. I don't know how much it is still used (especially if Silver Marches is a 3.0 book; I don't recall if it is), but it was standard issue in most optimized archer builds.

They could be pretty broken, too. It wasn't really that ability that pushed them over the edge, but it was pretty powerful all the same.

KingCrab

First Post
Merlin the Tuna said:
Vow of Poverty is a trap. In a game that generally follows WBL guidelines, it hurts more than it helps. Numbers have been crunched on the subject.

It depends on what you're playing. For most classes, yes that is the case. For some classes (say a wildshape focused druid who generally can't use items in wildshape anyway) it does make sense.

KingCrab

First Post
Meele Weapon Mastery is pretty strong since it adds to your bonuses for the weapon you're focused in as well. Greenbound Summoning as written is broken, though if edited to be used as the feat was intended it seems fair. Initiate of Nature is nice for druids who want to turn and rebuke plants and animals the way clerics do with undead.

Remove ads