Most Unusual or Outrageous Character or NPC Names

There have been so many terrible names over the years in our groups…all belonging to the characters of one particular person.

An annoying Halfling ‘expert’ who couldn’t shut-up named Moot

Zetaphile the “kid-friendly” Conjurer

Duck-Plank the Halfling rogue (not sure where this came from, but it’s pretty strange)

My favorite: a dwarf who got in a lot of brawls in-between adventures by the name of Fister.

All unintentionally ridiculous.

RuminDange

First Post
The only one I remember was a feline familiar that was name "HeSheIt" since the player didn't know the sex of the animal when she found it and couldn't think of a name.

RD

Invictikore

First Post
Finward the Finnish Fisherman
Biff the Barbarian

But that was a long time ago and now we have a construct named "Prick" running around. So we always have to tell it's creator to keep his prick to himself

duclair

First Post
This isn't as funny as some of the previous, but...

I once played in a campaign so mind-numbingly lethal that the DM didn't bother giving any of the monster-fodder NPC henchmen names — he just numbered them.

'Okay, fighters 7 through 10 make a frontal assault against the ninja shadow-spectres. Ooh, too bad...'

When the leader of one iteration of said NPC henchmen ('1') managed to somehow survive more than a couple of sessions, the DM decided to reward him with an Oriental Adventures background and (re)christened him 'Wun'.

Several more adventures later, when the character began to display a penchant for heavy drinking, it was revealed that his full name was 'Tai Wun Ahn'.

RichCsigs

First Post
I currently play in a group that plays on a large version of Iceland. So when I had to make a new character, I did some research online for a truly Icelandic name. I eventually came up with Snjolfur Vimunder (Sn-YOUL-fur Vim-UN-der). When I introduced him to the game everyone couldn't get the name down. Eventually the bard in the group called me Snuffaluffogus (Big Bird's imaginary friend from Sesame Street). To this day the group still calls him "Snuffy".

Currently also in the group is the mage Phanta Schtick.

Onced play with a guy who called his character None which wasn't that funny until we got to a giant who was blocking the door to the treasure. He screamed "None shall pass" and None went "Thanks!" and walked into the room, which threw the DM for a loop.

In another campaign we all created female characters and called ourselves "The Battling Bitches". What was even funnier is that we named all our characters after the DMs ex-girlfriends.

One guy named his monk (wants to keep it grandma friendly) Eloh**a.

Phorrest the ranger.

Another ranger named Justin of the Timber Lakes (we beat him for that one).

That's all I can think of.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
If we are including all NPC names we might as well list all the traditional naming puns for the monsters too.

For instance, one classic: All griffons are named Merv

Doug McCrae

Legend
s/LaSH said:
And the name Nicodemus has shown up in other places of lore over time, too; I think the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks have Nicodemus as a wizard who lives under a bridge somewhere...
The first CRPG I ever pulled an all-nighter on was called Phantasie III: The Wrath of Nikademus. He was the BBEG.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
All of my favorites are joke names...

Dwarven Fighter/Cleric: Meatshield von Tanko (killed a fire giant and was promptly eaten by a dire shark. Most humiliating.)
Halfling Shugenja: Tso Wut (had a problem with the DM starting every other statement with "So....")
Halfling Psion: Nao Wut
Gnome Wizard: Piromaetheus DuCinder (ironically cooked by a fire trap)
Dwarven Fighter/Barbarian: Juno Sepa (pronounced "Je no se pas" if I remember my French correctly -- roughly translated "I don't understand")

For NPCs, my most evil use of names was for shaman who had been thrown out of an evil cult (along with his dire boar companion) after losing a fight to one of the half-dragon demon masters of the cult. The shaman was Dearth Voodooer, the boar was Animalkin Skywalker and the half-dragon demon was Oni Con Wasabi.

::Kaze

Remove ads